THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Got my first picnic on...never did one before, not sure why. I know they're tasty so I'm excited for this one.

Ok this is a strange cook for me for many reasons. For one thing I've never attempted a cook like this, I'm using 70% apple wood sticks from the orchard with 30% briquettes. (the pic is very deceiving on that) but it's easily a 70/30 split...smitty style. lol

I'm using my jimmy (jumbo joe) cooker with the cajun bandit and I forgot that the lid is so shallow on the Joe...and because of that the bone part that sticks out on the picnic is hitting the lid. So what I did was use a couple of pieces of kindling to prop the lid open.

Temps wise I'm showing 450-500* on the therm which is below the dripping pan and am cooking about 300-325* up at the picnic. The last pic doesn't do it justice but the color is looking very good. I'm thinking if i need to refuel later I'm just going with 100% mini splits. The smoke is invisible at this point which I'm not going to argue with ...it did take a while to thin out though which wasn't a big deal because there's so much exhaust.

Oh I forgot, I'm using the Wild thang rub which is a savory/peppery flavor...Should be good! I'll be updating as the cook progresses. Thanks for tuning in. :smile:

I lit the basket on the edge

Last edited:
I picked up a picnic last year to cook cause it was so cheap, but those things are half bone,lol. Still good though.
I'm liking your spinner posts, I need to look into that

Apple wood is my favorite cooking wood. I love the smell of it burning. Big thumbs up. Your already getting some good color. This picnic is gonna be killer !
Good on ya !

Apple wood is my favorite cooking wood. I love the smell of it burning. Big thumbs up. Your already getting some good color. This picnic is gonna be killer !
Good on ya !
Thanks! This turned into an all wood split cook so now it's getting fed cherry then later Mulberry will follow. Yes it's getting really good color, You should see the self basting action from the spin... Oh my :biggrin1:

I picked up a picnic last year to cook cause it was so cheap, but those things are half bone,lol. Still good though.
I'm liking your spinner posts, I need to look into that

Yes there is a lot of bone. lol Out of 10 1/2 lbs I'd hope to get a few lbs of pull. I can't wait to pour the drippings back in.

Definitely done, it was pulling temp and took it off about 200* IT She's resting now.

When it cools down enough to pull I'll take pics. Ya know...I'm thinking of going with no kind of finishing sauce. Sometimes it's not appropriate and I think this is one of those times.

These bones just popped right out.

Back