THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pal251

Full Fledged Farker
I don't have a charcoal grill. Only a busted up gas grill that is a piece of #%# and a WSM that is my pride and joy. I would like a decent price grill which is going to put me at a 22.5 inch Weber One touch silver or one touch gold.

IF i could find a awesome craigslist find on a performer I would do that but have not came across one yet.

Should I get the one touch silver or is it worth $50 more for the gold.

I would look for a Gold or Master Touch off Craigslist. Don't underestimate the convenience of the ash catcher!

Depending on what you plan to do with it, the OTG would be my first choice, particularly since you already have a WSM for your smoking needs.

You might want to try Search Tempest aka http://www.searchtempest.com/ for searching multiple locations at once on Craigslist. Handy if you want to search all of Kansas or Kansas and Missouri (depending on where you live in Kansas) or have a relative in another location that might buy and hold for you.

I believe the Gold comes with the charcoal baskets and the hinged grate in addition to the ash catcher.
no baskets... but they're $15 at Home Depot/Lowes
It does come with a lid hook, which i like.
The 2012 model has a cheaper ash catcher (plain aluminium, not the black one) and the legs kinda suck, very thin. The handles are cheaper too, the gray ones seem to be plain plastic, not the fiberglass reinforced - i might be wrong here but that's how they feel like.

Anyhow, none of those cons will stop me from buying another one (assuming my wife won't kill me if i tell her)

no baskets... but they're $15 at Home Depot/Lowes
It does come with a lid hook, which i like.
The 2012 model has a cheaper ash catcher (plain aluminium, not the black one) and the legs kinda suck, very thin. The handles are cheaper too, the gray ones seem to be plain plastic, not the fiberglass reinforced - i might be wrong here but that's how they feel like.

Anyhow, none of those cons will stop me from buying another one (assuming my wife won't kill me if i tell her)

Ah. Good to know about the baskets. When I looked at the display models a couple years ago they all had the baskets in them so I just assumed...

I'm going to swim up stream on this one. I like the silver, it costs less. If you want a hinged grill add one for 18.00 and park a galvanized pail on the ash pan for another 7.00 and 2 fire bricks for 2.00 your 50 bucks ahead. Not to mention IMO it is easier to adj the intake because you can see how much it is open unlike the gold.

I have the OTG and I love the ash catcher system. I was in your same dilemma when I was trying to decide. I'm glad I went with the OTG. I'm getting ready to upgrade to the Performer this week sometime.

I have a silver and two gold kettles. The gold is worth it for the ash catcher alone -- especially on a windy day. We have a lot of windy days, here.

CD

Upgrades from OTS to OTG

To clarify, since there's been some inconsistency in this thread...

The Gold comes with these upgrades:

- Ash catcher
- 2nd handle on bottom half of kettle (handy for picking up the grill)
- hinged grate
- lid hook (not sure if OTS has this or not)

I went with the Gold and am so happy that I did. The ash catcher really helps to keep everything clean & reduces the likelihood of a hot coal falling somewhere it shouldn't. Some people mentioned having difficulty knowing how open their lower vent is on the Gold, but there's a really slick trick for that:

When the grill is cold & empty, adjust the sweeper so that the vents are "just closed" & use a Sharpie to mark the position of the sweeper arm on the ash catcher mounting ring. Do the same thing at "just open" and "half closed." Doing this gives you an easily read gauge for how far open/closed your lower vent is. This makes it even easier to read than a silver where you have to bend down to look.

In summary, buy the OTG, do the mod I listed above, and I don't think you'll regret it.

Back