THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Memphis in May BBQ Teams; Classic Party Rentals will offer a flooring refund less 25% cancellation fee until Wednesday, May 4th at 12pm CST. After Wednesday, May 4th at 12pm CST we will not offer a refund. We HIGHLY recommend flooring not be cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. Keep in mind flooring is an integral part of your booth design. If cancelled, PLEASE BEWARE that flooring my not be available if site conditions are unfavorable at time of your arrival. Please address all questions to the office line 901-366-0670.

They could at least coordinate with MIM and wait till...say...6 hours after people get the grounds layout so they know if they're on grass or concrete.

Guaranteed they got wind that everyone's on asphalt and they know everyone's going to cancel so they're throwing this out as a face-saver... but throwing out scare tactics (HIGHLY recomment, PLEASE BEWARE, "Flooring is an integral part of your booth design") to try to hold some cash.

Glad we own our own floor.

They could at least coordinate with MIM and wait till...say...6 hours after people get the grounds layout so they know if they're on grass or concrete.

Guaranteed they got wind that everyone's on asphalt and they know everyone's going to cancel so they're throwing this out as a face-saver... but throwing out scare tactics (HIGHLY recomment, PLEASE BEWARE, "Flooring is an integral part of your booth design") to try to hold some cash.

Glad we own our own floor.

yup, I thought it was crappy

so the bbq contest being held on tiger lane are the teams located on grass or the asphalt parking lot?

Good luck to everyone competing in this thing!
I have been following this thread for a whiie now and am glad I'm not having to deal with this chit. One of these years, I'm going to have to come down and drink my way through this event so I can see first hand what is so special people will still go even when the Mississippi floods!

Good luck everyone, I will be cheering you on from dry high ground!

oh i see i found your map layout thanks for the info

You're welcome. That map is simply a generic map of the grounds. The actual BBQfest layout will be released today at this address: http://www.memphisinmay.org/bbqteaminfo

As stated above, my SUSPICION is that most if not all teams will be setting up on pavement as Classic Party Rentals has set an absurd deadline to cancel their flooring replete with ominous overtones. We'll see though.

You're welcome. That map is simply a generic map of the grounds. The actual BBQfest layout will be released today at this address: http://www.memphisinmay.org/bbqteaminfo

As stated above, my SUSPICION is that most if not all teams will be setting up on pavement as Classic Party Rentals has set an absurd deadline to cancel their flooring replete with ominous overtones. We'll see though.
All teams will be on Concrete! Some of the teams will be facing Tiger Lane for the view, but ALL of the sites will be on concrete.

I truly believe that this is going to be the BEST MIM BBQ yet!!

the MIM volunteers and officials are working day and night to make sure we have the BEST event possible and considering the hurdles that have been thrown their way, I think they are doing one hell of a job

Yep! Here's the email that went out:

Dear World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest Team Member,

First of all, thank you for your understanding and patience while we work through this very complex situation. Everyone is pulling together with a positive approach as we rise above the rising waters of the Mississippi River and get ready for part an historic 2011 World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest! Some of us were in a meeting well past 1 a.m. this morning addressing the issues and dealing with plans for situations. We will keep an open line of communication with you through periodic email updates. While we understand you have many questions, the following is the latest information we can provide on the major topics of this move.

MAP--The map is, for the most part, completed and is being reviewed to ensure accuracy. Please keep in mind that what took many weeks and countless hours to do for Tom Lee Park is now being done within a matter of days for the Fairgrounds/Tiger Lane. We will have a copy of it ready for you by 9 p.m. tonight. For those of you with riverview booths will now have Tiger Lane view booths---we feel confident that you will agree that this area is very pleasing. ALL TEAMS WILL BE ON A PAVED SURFACE.

LOAD IN--Given that we cannot schedule a load-in until the map is completed, as of right now we expect to have the new detailed load-in schedule to you tomorrow morning. For your planning purposes, load-in will start on Sunday so get ready! We will need your cooperation and flexibility with the load-in since the fairgrounds is different as far as accessibility and implores each of you to assist us in making this undertaking go smoothly. Once you are given your schedule, please make any and all efforts to make your assigned time work.

VEHICLE RESTRICTIONS – Tiger Lane is a beautifully landscaped and newly opened area in the Fairgrounds. We are confident that this will create a wonderful atmosphere for this event. However, as the City of Memphis has provided our accommodations, we have a commitment to the City to keep this area looking fresh and new. Therefore, NO VEHICLES WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE GRASS AREAS even during load-in or load-out. We will have the Pork Forkers who are pros are moving your rigs if necessary and we will have them in full force to assist in load in. Please know the seriousness of this, it is not designed to inconvenience you in load in. We will park vehicles on site and load in will STRICTLY be a drop and go to the parking area. You will be shuttled back to your space. Any team that drives on the grass will be disqualified from the competition.

SHUTTLE--We are currently working with Memphis Convention & Visitors Bureau and MATA on a detailed shuttle schedule to accommodate our team members, sponsors and patrons from downtown to the new venue. At this time, shuttle services will run Wednesday through Saturday. Again, we are working on the details of the schedule and pick-up/drop-off locations and will provide those as soon as those are finalized.

CLASSIC PARTY RENTALS--We are aware of the concerns you are having with this situation and the deadline they have given your team. This matter is being addressed with Classic Party Rentals and we will notify you with an update as soon possible.

PARKING--In efforts to make this transition easier for your team and your team members, we are including one complimentary parking space for each team for all event days and additional spaces available during set-up.

TEAM PACKETS--For any teams that have not picked up your team packet or your team pre-order tickets, we will have those available for you on site at the Headquarters Building so that you may distribute accordingly.

Again, we really appreciate your patience while we make the nearly impossible possible and your faith that we will take of you in the only way we know how---WORLD CLASS.

Sweet! We got a corner spot right mid park next to the Judges Tent! Tough to beat that. Slab Yo Mama will be dealing out of R-12 now. Load In looks like 7-9am Saturday. Very impressed with the way theyve brought this together from "lost" to top-shelf in such a short time. My hat is off to the MIM crew thus far.

As an upside... it looks like all the "Riverfront" teams got spots right on Tiger Lane and those spots look to be around 32x70 per slot! Very very nice upgrade in square footage.

Is anybody concerned with brown out for the power, running on generators and there are some very power hungry teams that may overwhelm the system...

Should we be considering back up generators for ourselves.

very jealousn nice size lots,

We're right at the top left in front of the stadium. Not a long walk to the judges but in Tommy Lee we were kitty corner from the turn-ins

Mike

Are you on Tiger Lane (Lawn) in front of the stadium, or over in Whole Hog Row?

Are we sure they're running this off generators? All of TIger Lane is wired nicely. Perhaps only generators for the outlying teams in the parking lot? I've got to think that between the Tiger Lane and tapping into the Liberty Bowl's circuits, they've got to have the ABILITY to run off the grid vs Generators. If not, then who knows about brownouts. We ordered two 20A drops (down from 3 last year) but we'll be powering:

Lighting & Water Pump on our 40' Double Decker Trailer
Full size side by side fridge
Two LARGE flip top deep freezers
Large Kegerator
Full Size PA w/ Dual-Amp Rack/Mixer/2 JBL Tops/Monitor/and an 18" Sub.
Two Sound-activated "Night Club Lights"
Plus the usual odds and ends....
:pray:

For those who are unfamiliar, here are some shots of Tiger Lane:

TigerLane1.jpg

TigerLane2.jpg

TigerLane3.jpg

Are you on Tiger Lane (Lawn) in front of the stadium, or over in Whole Hog Row?

:pray:

No idea what we are on... As for location we are in Mini Rib town top and right of tiger lane and the first row in front of the stadium (very far right parking lot)

I'm not concerned about other electrical but powering the pellet cookers and the trailer fridge and at least one cook light is mandatory.

Thinking the backup might be a good idea, still it’s a lot of space for travel

Mike

Iamarealbigdog: Mike it sounds like you are very closed to us at Too Sauced To Pork (R-119). We are on the last row closest to the Coliseum. What is your number? We will be loading in Saturday. Come see us when you get in. We can help if you need any.
Thanks
Mike G

Iamarealbigdog: Mike it sounds like you are very closed to us at Too Sauced To Pork (R-119). We are on the last row closest to the Coliseum. What is your number? We will be loading in Saturday. Come see us when you get in. We can help if you need any.
Thanks
Mike G

R112 for Us... We're in Sunday... doing a whole hog event Friday and Saturday, am I fracking nuts....

Will stop in and introduce myself and the team.

New flyer for the team done up by our boys at Harvest Creative in Memphis. We'll have posters available at the tent. Nice retro look suitable for framing.

slabflyer_2011.jpg

Sweet looking poster and tees! I'll see you this time next week.

Back