Memphis BBQ and Booze

Mrfish

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Ron
Looked in the archives, but they are a bit aged.

Going to Memphis for a few days here soon and looking for some good BBQ places to hit.

Also anyone know where to get a decent dram of Scotch in Memphis?

We will be staying a few blocks from Rendezvous which I read mixed reviews here. Also will check out Gus's fried chicken. Heard that is pretty good.

What does the Brethren think?

If I were doing what you're doing, I would visit Malcolm Reed's " How to BBQ Right " Facebook community. Malcolm is in Hernando and he talks Memphis all the time. Connect with him in some way with social media. That's what I would do.

Been a while since we’ve been but we still talk about how good Germantown Commissary was.

Everyone here bitches about Rendezvous but me, I think it’s something to experience for what it is.

If I were doing what you're doing, I would visit Malcolm Reed's " How to BBQ Right " Facebook community. Malcolm is in Hernando and he talks Memphis all the time. Connect with him in some way with social media. That's what I would do.

Thanks, I sent a message to his store page.

Been a while since we’ve been but we still talk about how good Germantown Commissary was.

Everyone here bitches about Rendezvous but me, I think it’s something to experience for what it is.

Thanks, being a block away from hotel, I am sure we will poke our head in there at some point.

Commissary is solid for sure (my brother lives in Collierville so we've hit that a few times).

I would only hit rendezvous if I had more than a day or two in town or if I was just stopping thru for a meal while passing thru and wanted something that was kinda novelty from memphis area. I always felt it was a bit 'touristy' and that there was a lot better around.

FTR - I never go to memphis without hitting Gus's fried chicken, me and my boys love it

Memphis BBQ Company, Melissa Cookston's place. BTW it's in Mississippi. Rendezvous, never again. Gus's yes! Every time.

Stop by the lobby bar at the Peabody Hotel in the afternoon to watch the parade of ducks and grab a signature Jack Daniels Peach Sour.

I would only hit rendezvous if I had more than a day or two in town or if I was just stopping thru for a meal while passing thru and wanted something that was kinda novelty from memphis area. I always felt it was a bit 'touristy' and that there was a lot better around.

I can get behind that

Cozy Corner is one I found out about but hadn’t been back to Memphis except passing through. Can’t say if it’s any good or not though.

Last edited:
Memphis BBQ Company, Melissa Cookston's place. BTW it's in Mississippi. Rendezvous, never again. Gus's yes! Every time.

Stop by the lobby bar at the Peabody Hotel in the afternoon to watch the parade of ducks and grab a signature Jack Daniels Peach Sour.

Thanks! I reached out to Malcolm Reed's store and got pointed in the right direction. I would have been upset if I missed Melissa's BBQ! We will check out his store also.

We will check out the Peabody. Wife can watch the ducks while I test the Peach Sour. :grin:

Wife has been a sport checking out all the BBQ. She just wants to have lunch up in the Bass Pro Pyramid. Love it!

Thanks for all the feed back. I love this site.

Thanks! I reached out to Malcolm Reed's store and got pointed in the right direction. I would have been upset if I missed Melissa's BBQ! We will check out his store also.

We will check out the Peabody. Wife can watch the ducks while I test the Peach Sour. :grin:

Wife has been a sport checking out all the BBQ. She just wants to have lunch up in the Bass Pro Pyramid. Love it!

Thanks for all the feed back. I love this site.

Malcolm is a top flight dude, in my book.

Back