THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most people try to avoid salt in rubs. I would hardly consider salt gourmet, regardless of where , and how it was processed.

We can agree to disagree.
There are many varieties and types of salt.

We make gourmet seasoned salts, that’s what our core business is.

We also make a few bbq rub type seasonings, they all also contain salt, to me it is a necessary ingredient.

Actually, something good from this train wreck: @RickAllen drew my attention to SirPorkaLot's products, which I had not looked at for some time, and I bought a package of Garlicky Lemon seasoned salt. My wife is a real lemon addict. I will get points for this. Amazon. Delivered tomorrow.

BTW @RickAllen, would you please post a link to your successful business? Thanks in advance.

We can agree to disagree.
There are many varieties and types of salt.

We make gourmet seasoned salts, that’s what our core business is.

We also make a few bbq rub type seasonings, they all also contain salt, to me it is a necessary ingredient.

I don't completely disagree with you. Table salt is horrible if its the main seasoning. A sprinkle of Maldon salt on a finished rare-med-rare steak i would consider gourmet.

I just don't find salt in a rub gourmet.

These are mine ...... show us yours ..... BUT THESE HAS THAT BAD STUFF PARKAY USED ON THEM :loco: im comp team myself see you on the trail ...keepin it smokin BBQ competition team :thumb::becky:
Very nice. The criterion for appearance scores that they teach in judge school is "how badly do you want to eat that meat?" The other thing they teach is that a comp is a meat contest, not a sauce contest. Those ribs score a solid "9" for appearance with me. I really hate the turn-in boxes with ribs that are so covered in sauce that you can't even see them. They get an 8 or a 7 every time.

(I'll overlook the Parkay comment as I never know when a competitor is feeding it to me anyway. :razz:)

To the OP. Wrapping ribs is how I learned to cook them. It's very effective and I turned out many good ribs over the years. I've since evolved to not wrapping them but giving a spritz every so often. I think they are just better this way. I don't pay much attention to the pullback on the bone as much as the bend test. Heck, I cant even remember the last time I probed them for temp. Anyhow, everyone has a favorite technique. Cheers and happy smoking.

Lets not turn into defensive, butt hurt, angry people here. OP you should understand that nothing in BBQ seems to generate as much discord as ribs do. One book I have calls ribs "The Holy Grail" of BBQ cooking. And if you have talked to a lot of people about ribs then you will understand that everyone, and I mean everyone, thinks that there is a "best way" to cook ribs. Here are some examples that I have to deal with in my personal life.

1. My brother thinks that ribs have to have BBQ sauce burned on the outside of them or they are not done right. My mom cooked ribs this way and that's the way he got used to them. He won't eat them any other way.

2. My sister will only eat ribs boiled in beer because she is adamant that rib meat must fall off the bone. She thinks that the only way to guarantee this is to boil them, preferably in beer for the added flavor. My mom did this as well and that's all she will eat.

3. My brother in law thinks that if rib meat pulls easily away from the bone then it is rubbery and over cooked. He thinks ribs are only done right if he has to naw meat off the bone practically raw.

4. One of my old friends refused to eat ribs that had BBQ sauce on them because to him all ribs should have on them is rub and that is it.

Most of these people got these ideas because they were raised that way. Some, got these ideas because the best ribs they remember were cooked a certain way. However, what you state is very true in that most people don't cook ribs well. Not to say whats right or wrong, but most people don't make ribs that are great to eat.

Ribs would not be considered the "Holy Grail" of BBQ if they were ultra easy to cook. Instead, ribs are often considered a challenge. So please everyone the intention of the OP is just and true. Most people do mess up ribs. So just let him try to help people in peace. As well, the only way many people are going to get over their rib hang ups is to try them a different way. Ribs are a personal journey and it is in anyone's best interest to cook ribs many ways, including this way. If you found the way that you like, congrats. Hopefully other people will too.

Thank you.

Well stated.I must concur.In my humble opinion,ribs are the armpit of barbecue.There are many better cuts that are much easier to cook to perfection.But,all the hype draws some people in.I do smoke/cook ribs and people seem to like them but they darn sure are not my favorite meat to cook or eat.

THAT SIR is a LIE!!!

Boiled ribs and then broiled to set the glaze has not been addressed!!!

#askinferafriend

Jokes a side. Pressure cooked ribs is where its at. We are talking ribs that fall off the bone in 30 minutes. I am talking about a Ninja. Its got a built in air fryer that creates a nice bark before it tenderizes the meat. Best Ribs i ever had. And i got a bunch of top of the line smokers.

Back