Need a portable smoker. Rec Tec Trailblazer?

IFlyEm

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Mike
Looking to get a pellet smoker that we can take on our family takes to Branson. Need to be able to feed 14 people (8 adults 6 kids). Aside of the normal smoking I want to be able to do good steaks. Can do them in 2 rounds if needed. The big thing is the smoker needs to hold enough pellets to run 10 - 12 hours while we are out on the lake.

Right now I am leaning towards the Rec Tec Trailblazer (RT-340). Anyone have any experience with this model? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-trailblazer/

Last edited:
Right now I am leaning towards the Rec Tec Trailblazer (RT-340). Anyone have any experience with this model? Any other suggestions?

I have a GMG Davy Crockett and it is a flat amazing cooker. Done many butts on it, steaks, brisket (only small ones due to the size) and all come off really good. Very efficient on pellets. Highly recommend.

I have the older Mini Rec Tec and you will not go wrong with it. I can run a full 12-15lb packer in it with the 15lb pellet hopper and not have to reload it. I take mine camping and on vacations with us also. Best bang for the buck and unbeatable customer service also.

I also have the older mini. It will run forever, and it's a great smoker, but it is not my choice for steaks or any other high-heat application. Ideally you could use the mini as a smoker, and a Weber Jumbo Joe or similar for grilling steaks. I really don't believer that most pellet grills can compete with charcoal for high-heat applications.

The Trailblazer does have LOTS of stainless, a good warranty, and Wi-Fi for remote control and monitoring. The legs fold down easily for transportation, so it would get my vote for the best value portable smoker.

I have never used any GMG products, but they have a good reputation also.

Good luck!

Back