Help!! Talk me out of a stick burner please!

DavidJ

Knows what a fatty is.
So I've been "wanting" a new smoker for the past couple of years, and a small part of me has broken down and admitted that a pellet smoker is not a terrible thing :wink: but what I've really been leaning towards is a stick burner.

Do I need one? no, especially since I'm not a competition cook and it's just down to the wife and I at home, as well as the occasional groups of family or friends coming over, but there's that primal urge to take my skills up a notch and master the fire on the stick burner.

Next week I'm expecting a sale at one of our local stores that carries the Horizon 20" smoker and I know I'll be over there lusting for it, and because I haven't treated myself to any real toys for several years, I know I'll try to rationalize the purchase.

I know it'll take some time to master, and that I'll probably ruin some expensive cuts of meat on it, and that it'll take up more room on the patio, and that I'll be nursing it a lot more than my UDS, yet that all seems unimportant....

So... with all of this running through my head, why am I still considering one? I'm writing this partly as a way of confirmation that I've made the right choice, but it'd be really helpful if some of y'all with some common sense would confirm that I'm perfectly happy with my drum smoker before I go send this money! :grin:

Thanks!
David

I have been where you were. I did competition and always used high end insulated cabinets or pellet cookers. I would look around and really wanted to jump into offset game but kept delaying and upgrading cabinets. Well I ended up building a 120 gallon last year which I immediately followed with a 250 gallon smoker. I am pissed at myself for not jumping into offset game sooner. So much fun and amazing food.

Do yourself a favor and get it and a year from now when you want to upgrade because you enjoy offset cooking so much get another one too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy the stick burner. You don't have to break the bank to make amazing food

Last edited:
Buy it.Life is short.If you decide you do not like or want to tend it,sell it.If you do not purchase it you will always wish you had.

If it’s just the wife and you and life has slowed down, by all means, go for it! If life is still go-go-go, personally, I’d wait. I tried and loved the stick-burner experience. Sad thing… sold it in less than a year as I very rarely had the time to use it.

Buy the offset.
Any thread starting with "Talk me out of..." Will immediately go in the opposite.

I remember a thread years ago...same deal, but the wife was dead against it, the marriage could suffer, sleepless and lonely nights...that went multiple pages with maybe two members only...predictably spouting "Happy wife, happy whatever.."
Two.

-D

The only way ya save money here is buying the cheaper of one of the cooker suggestions.

Zero interest and never considered a stick burner. Just seems too much expense and bother to me. I'll never be a competition q'er.

Guy down the street bought a trailer unit from Peoria Cookers maybe 10 years ago. Nice rig. Could smell it whenever he fired it up at home. Bought a tent shed to store it in the backyard. Used it a lot the first couple years and took it to tailgates. Haven't smelled the Peoria in years...he might have sold it.

Always been a charcoal/lump fan. Got a wild hair and bought a Weber gasser ~25 years ago. Tried my best to like it for 6 months. Couldn't and went back to the kettle.

You might be geeked about getting a stick burner now. Save your money until spending time with someone else's stick burner.

You will not ruin some expensive cuts of meat. Buy the smoker and enjoy it, stop guit tripping over wanting it.

going to try to retire next year so the funds for toys will drop, been thinking about a stick burner but I'm in the same boat, ,most of the time it's me and the wife only , had a small 1 years ago and lost a lot of sleep, been looking and the new woodwind? pellet smoker you can had wood to. Whatever we do we will second guess it at some point and want something else lol

If you have that little voice inside you saying "don't do it", sometimes you just have to tell it to: shut up, sit down, and hold on".

The act of coming here to be talked out of buying a smoker is funny every time it happens- and it happens a lot.

Good luck on the new cooker.

Back