THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IFlyEm

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Mike
Looking to get a pellet smoker that we can take on our family takes to Branson. Need to be able to feed 14 people (8 adults 6 kids). Aside of the normal smoking I want to be able to do good steaks. Can do them in 2 rounds if needed. The big thing is the smoker needs to hold enough pellets to run 10 - 12 hours while we are out on the lake.

Right now I am leaning towards the Rec Tec Trailblazer (RT-340). Anyone have any experience with this model? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-trailblazer/

Last edited:
Right now I am leaning towards the Rec Tec Trailblazer (RT-340). Anyone have any experience with this model? Any other suggestions?

I have a GMG Davy Crockett and it is a flat amazing cooker. Done many butts on it, steaks, brisket (only small ones due to the size) and all come off really good. Very efficient on pellets. Highly recommend.

I have the older Mini Rec Tec and you will not go wrong with it. I can run a full 12-15lb packer in it with the 15lb pellet hopper and not have to reload it. I take mine camping and on vacations with us also. Best bang for the buck and unbeatable customer service also.

I also have the older mini. It will run forever, and it's a great smoker, but it is not my choice for steaks or any other high-heat application. Ideally you could use the mini as a smoker, and a Weber Jumbo Joe or similar for grilling steaks. I really don't believer that most pellet grills can compete with charcoal for high-heat applications.

The Trailblazer does have LOTS of stainless, a good warranty, and Wi-Fi for remote control and monitoring. The legs fold down easily for transportation, so it would get my vote for the best value portable smoker.

I have never used any GMG products, but they have a good reputation also.

Good luck!

Back