THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Texas Pete
Drove up to Tuscaloosa on Saturday to pick it up. Met Paul and Tyler. Can't say enough about these guys. They spent 30 minutes helping me with the last bolt on my tow kit that I just couldn't get lined up on my own.:twitch: (I didn't feel like a failure after seeing them struggle) They also gave me a some hickory splits to try out and some rub that a customer gave to them. Smelled wonderful all the way home and can't wait to try it out. We spent an hour BSing with them. Its weird how some people just seem like old friends almost immediately. Only got 1 picture because I was too busy talking and looking at my new cooker.:tape: Good thing my lovely wife remembered to take a picture. I brought them some HEB Grand Champion all natural briqs since they like to grill. Good stuff but you have to be in certain parts of Texas to get it.

Me Paul Tyler.jpg

Trailer pulled so easily. I was afraid of the crappy roads in Louisiana but the trailer was fine. I think it was harder on me than the trailer. I think I spent more time looking in my mirrors than the road in front of me. Took an extra couple of hour to get back home because it was raining every hundred miles or so. Even had to pull of the road for 20-30 minutes because I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me.:mad:

Pulling Trailer.jpg

Now to the bad luck...Tried to season it up Thursday after work but the rain made me it's b****.:hail: Sent me running trying to save my Mavericks from a watery death. Had to pull the naked fatty and finish in the oven after it down poured for almost an hour straight. I was under a 10ft umbrella and got completely drenched and even had water in my shoes. Good new was that I had it up to 275 in 20 minutes with the weed burner and the biscuit test was nearly dead on across all 4 racks.:thumb: Did a quick 3 hour fire Saturday between rain showers to make sure it was seasoned properly. This thing smells awesome with just some post oak burning. Just can't beat a stick burner for making the neighbors hungry.

Startup Smoke.jpg
Grates.jpg

Had better luck Sunday. Fired up the cooker. Left it wide open for 15 minutes and then a few minutes later it was up to 300 while I was inside prepping a 12LB prime brisket. Got rained on a few times but this time nobody opened the floodgates. Only got 1 picture when I cut a chunk of the flat to send home with my daughter who was home for father's day.:clap:

FB 1.jpg
Startup Opened.jpg
TBS and Therm.jpg
Brisket SS Table.jpg
Brisket Half Done.jpg
Brisket Flat.jpg

Options that I got...
24x55 cabinet model with the flat back. I believe it is the 2nd one they have made. Grates are bigger than the round or standard cabinet models. Narrow trailer, removable tongue, insulated firebox, ash pan in firebox, stainless shelf, 4 sets of grates, firebox with both damper systems, sausage hangers, burner, warmer with 3 racks, wood box, spare tire, probe ports, 5" Tel-Tru thermometers.

Therms.jpg
Front 1.jpg
Burner 1.jpg
Back Side 1.jpg
Back 2.jpg
Back 1.jpg

I bought a Harbour Freight weed burner and Harbor Freight log splitter thanks to a couple recommendations from you guys.:grin: Both are must haves for stick burners. I highly recommend getting some sort of cover from Home Depot or Lowes to cover the exhaust when it is raing. Also got to meet bsooner75 (Bryan) because he was crazy enough to drive 2-3 hours just to look at a Shirley in person. I would almost put money on him buying one very soon. If anyone has any questions or needs more pics just let me know. Alreay had a couple requests but its no problem showing it off.

Thanks for reading all of this if you could get to this part you have a lot of patients.:shock:

Yours truly,

Paul (aka Texas Pete:wink:)

Attachments

• TBS.jpg
    TBS.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 767
Yea, SF makes a killer cooker and you got a great one. Ya know after seeing a couple of these a week delivered by the Shirley family there are only so many superlatives that can be put down: proven design, outstanding fabrication, unmatched customer service and just damn fine people! Glad you got it cookin and I agree I-20 in Mississippi & Lousianna was one rough trip when I ran out to the North Texas Brethren Bash.

Bravo on the new cooker, another mighty fine Shirley ready for years of grand BBQ!
Looks like you opted for the insulated firebox, excellent. I can tell you it really worked perfect in a few 20 degree cooks this winter!

Welcome to the Shirley Family.

Back