THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congrats on the great pit!!! Does make me wonder though, what do all your friends in Texas, the home of "real BBQ", think about the fact that you drove all the way to AL A BA MA to get the best smoker available ??

Do you lose any points on your Texan card for that ? :p
No idea. It's hard to complain with a plate full of brisket in front of you. At least I didn't get it in Oklahoma. :wacko:

let me ask a question please, cause there seems to be a lot of Shirley owners here and I am a bit of a noob in the Q world.

are smokers like this for personal use or are most of you that use these styles competitors at events? I ask because they seem to be quite large for a butt or 2 or even a brisket. if these styles really are for personal use, how is the cost justified??

nate

My Shirley will be the last cooker I buy. I hope to do comps once I retire but in the meantime, I'll be getting a whole lot of practice. Not to mention building some fine shoulder and arm muscles! :clap:

Quick question: will you be storing your cooker outside? Will you keep it covered when not in use?

Kinda wondering the same thing. I have my SF ordered and was contemplating storage options i.e. garage, outdoors covered etc. Interested to hear what other people do as this is my first stick burner.

All the rain is a pain in the arse but congrats on the new cooker, shirley cookers look like amazing cookers!

Kind of like my wife a looker and a good cooker.:mrgreen:

Great looking rig. Best wishes for some great Q!

Weather permitting there will be more Q this weekend.

Wish I had the $$ to just buy a RF smoker....just starting to build mine....very purdy pit...wish you the best of luck with it....

Wish I had the skills to build one. Good luck with your build. Looking forward to seeing the completed cooker.

My man if you have been fortunate enough to be able to own a pit like that..... Some Rain showers ain't bad luck. It's just some rain. Beautiful Machine there.

I guess its unanimous...I'm a whiner:sad:

Quick question: will you be storing your cooker outside? Will you keep it covered when not in use?

Kinda wondering the same thing. I have my SF ordered and was contemplating storage options i.e. garage, outdoors covered etc. Interested to hear what other people do as this is my first stick burner.

It is outside at this time. I bought an oversized heavy duty tarp to keep it covered when not in use. its behind a privacy fence so it is not an eyesore for the neighbors. I could re-arrange my garage but I really don't want to be cooking in the driveway. The 2 options I am considering are one of those metal carports they sell everywhere for about $1,000 or having a friend help me build a real structure that will not get blown away. We estimated that would probably be around the same price as the cheap looking carport. Would like it to have cedar posts to match the privacy fence we just put in and match the shingles to the house, shed, gazeebo. For now I am probably going to get one of those Ez-ups for around $100 that can be easily setup for shade and hopefully protection from the rain. My other stick burner was out in the elements too but never had rain cause problems like last weekend. The little patio umbrella never failed to keep me dry before. Kind of been hemorrhaging money this year paying for a deck, granite counter tops, kid going into college in the fall, replacing appliances...just seems like it never ends recently. May have to stay with the tarp/ez-up for a little while.

Back