My disappointment is immeasurable. My summer is ruined.

I just have one question: Is there life other than or after Q? It appears from the length of this thread, there is not.

Seems to be a real common theme in here. They might build a good cooker, but looks like they need to step up their crating game.

Does that mean he's just going to patch it up and ship it back? I don't know if I'd be very happy about that.

Does that mean he's just going to patch it up and ship it back? I don't know if I'd be very happy about that.

Most likely. It’s just one piece that’s broken. Plus, I don’t want to wait 12-14 weeks for a new one.

wow that's brutal...i have a lonestar on the way (in 12 to 16 weeks lol) and the anticipation and wait is already killing me...man your heart must have sunk right into your stomach seeing that.

It's a good thing LSG puts that big warning on their site to tell you to inspect the shipment before accepting. I need to catch up on the thread as I'm responding to the very first post, but my gut tells me LSG will fix it quick for you. What did Chris/Amber say when you called?

I drove a truck OTR for a short period of time in early 2000. I went to a freight terminal to get loaded one day. I forget the company name, it was like YRC , short trailer, single axle trucks that ran around in the city. Their dock was an open air place with at least 50 trailer spots. There were just as many forklifts on that dock. They would run up in these trailers, grab pallets, run backwards wide open and set them on the dock. Another operator might run over and grab that pallet and take it to another trailer. These guys were bumping stuff, dropping stuff, I couldn't believe it. Seeing that explains every bit of the damage I've ever seen or heard of from truck freight shipped items.
I hope they get it to you quickly.

These heavy smokers are a bit different than our pellet or charcoal grills.... For me part of the appeal of these beastly smokers is if there is a problem... a little fab work, paint and they are good as new or better.

Got a Shirley I love but I don’t like the rust on the expanded metal shelf. Think I’ll have a local fab shop replace with a stainless steel shelf. It will be better than new.

I get the frustration of getting a damaged NEW item but these solid steel smokers are probably the exception in my book..

I’m sure his repaired smoker will look brand new just like it should!

It would be very easy to support the axles and frame on a couple of wood supports for shipping, surprised they haven’t. Sounds as though it happens more often than it should.

The stress from 'rough handling' has to go somewhere. I'd rather have a bent axle or snapped frame support than a warped smoker personally.

Why do you think they put G-force strain gauges on shipping crates? Stuff I shipped for a company I worked for had 25G, 50G, 75G, and 100G meters on them for a reason. Did it not work because we didn't manufacturer it right or was it dropped off the end of a dock and shattered or worse, bounced really hard but without any obvious bends, holes, warps, etc. on the exterior surface? Just because the frame and outer skins were straight didn't mean the interior pieces were still where they needed to be.

LTL (Less Than 'full' Loads) loads can be brutal shipping. You never know if the guy on the forklift is hungover, enjoying a 'liquid lunch' or, going through a nasty divorce. Some of them just don't care as well.

I wasn't around when two forklift Darwin contestants decided to race during the lunch hour. After a couple of laps in the warehouse, one of them tried a 'shortcut' and went off the end of the dock and destroyed a $30K forklift. Wonder why their workers' comp policy was so expensive? :mad:

Out of interest, is there a consensus here as the 'right' way for a fabricator to handle the this kind of situation? I know I would not want it patched up. At a minimum I think I would expect the smoker to be mounted to a new cart, if not a whole new smoker. It might be hard to tell what else was damaged and hidden. Am I being unreasonable?

IMHO, Yes! Without knowing the specifics, it is unreasonable to assume much beyond the obvious.

Personally, I would much rather have a bent cart tube or bent axle that is obvious than a warped smoker. I get the feeling of having a new smoker damaged in transit. I had a new pickup rear-ended going to work. The first vehicle I ever purchase on my own. The idiot in the Corvette thought they were going to be late to work again. Turns out, after waiting for two tow trucks and the Police to show up, he was.

It was even funnier, after the fact, when I called his insurance agent. When I mentioned "#%$^" name, all he said was "did he wreck his Corvette AGAIN!" I'm sure the repair bill for that car was huge as it literally exploded on impact as he was doing about 45MPH more than I at IMPACT after a good stomp on the brakes! I also learned you can peel body panels away from the paint without breaking or wrinkling the paint that day too.

I assume the shipment is insured, is it an 'all or nothing' -type policy? Meaning, if the shipper is at fault (which certainly seems to be the case) do they just pay the full insured amount? Is that amount the purchase price or LSG's cost? Or is it somehow prorated based on the extent of the damage?

Insurance claims only cover the damage. Full payment only occurs with total loss, assuming they pay anything at all.

Ever had a minor fender bender in a car?

No dog in the fight, just interested as I am hoping to place an order for their pellet grill once it is released, and I am praying this doesn't happen to me.

LSG and you really have no control over what happens in an LTL shipment. It really is luck of the draw.

Why do you think manufacturers like Shirley Fabrication have established short-haul delivery methods for their smokers? Their dedicated delivery guy makes runs all over the country and I'm sure this saves them a lot of grief and helps avoid the disappointments like we see here.

I had road runner the guy struggled hard to even get my smoker off the truck since it was over capacity of the lift gate. And yeah hardly hear from anyone on Long Island im in merrick. Well have to meet up some time

Nice to hear from another Long Islander here! I’m in Syosset.

Was your freight company YRC?

I had road runner the guy struggled hard to even get my smoker off the truck since it was over capacity of the lift gate. And yeah hardly hear from anyone on Long Island im in merrick. Well have to meet up some time

I had to wait a week for a box truck with a max capacity lift gate to be located and deliver by LSG from the terminal. Even with the strongest lift gate it was over capacity and the guy told me if it goes get out of the way. There is always insurance.:mrgreen:

Luckily I had an experienced guy that knew what the fark he was doing and put it right on my driveway flawlessly but it was scary for a minute. He took a break after and I bought him lunch. Least I could've done.

It was well crated and secured. Usually gets farked during delivery.

20141024_113457.jpg

veRQCA-mobg2hgzM0JKYhaaDI9EH2rTpJHRceKWx4xA=w432-h460-no

rgtmmpj46s9BVei2nfZ1nrXZAOvqudKkXjzQym-RnYo=w338-h600-no

I had to wait a week for a box truck with a max capacity lift gate to be located and deliver by LSG from the terminal. Even with the strongest lift gate it was over capacity and the guy told me if it goes get out of the way. There is always insurance.:mrgreen:

Luckily I had an experienced guy that knew what the fark he was doing and put it right on my driveway flawlessly but it was scary for a minute. He took a break after and I bought him lunch. Least I could've done.

It was well crated and secured. Usually gets farked during delivery.

20141024_113457.jpg

veRQCA-mobg2hgzM0JKYhaaDI9EH2rTpJHRceKWx4xA=w432-h460-no

rgtmmpj46s9BVei2nfZ1nrXZAOvqudKkXjzQym-RnYo=w338-h600-no

Very nice of you to do that. We had a HVAC company come out and repair out AC unit on the house a few weeks back. We threw up our 13×13 Coleman canopy over the compressor. Nothing more than a couple minutes of time. I also had a cooler of water and Gatorades. They were so appreciative of the gesture. They said they've never had anyone do that for them before.

The new coil ended up being faulty they installed. The same two guys came out the next evening after a full day of a HVAC rooftop install. That is no fun job up on a rooftop on a wicked hot day. You could tell they were spent by the time they came over from their all day long rooftop install. I don't think they even had a chance to eat between jobs. My wife went and picked them up a combo meals from Arby's. They had the biggest smiles on their face when my wife surprised them with a couple roast beef combo meals.

They didn't leave until 10pm that evening after switching out coils.

I think we just forget sometimes in our busy life to show people a little compassion. It's easy to get caught up with everyday activities.

I learned just in small talk with the owner that he had a XL Big Green Egg. Next thing you know we're looking over my grills and smokers in the garage. So that was kind of fun.

Very nice of you to do that. We had a HVAC company come out and repair out AC unit on the house a few weeks back. We threw up our 13×13 Coleman canopy over the compressor. Nothing more than a couple minutes of time. I also had a cooler of water and Gatorades. They were so appreciative of the gesture. They said they've never had anyone do that for them before.

The new coil ended up being faulty they installed. The same two guys came out the next evening after a full day of a HVAC rooftop install. That is no fun job up on a rooftop on a wicked hot day. You could tell they were spent by the time they came over from their all day long rooftop install. I don't think they even had a chance to eat between jobs. My wife went and picked them up a combo meals from Arby's. They had the biggest smiles on their face when my wife surprised them with a couple roast beef combo meals.

They didn't leave until 10pm that evening after switching out coils.

I think we just forget sometimes in our busy life to show people a little compassion. It's easy to get caught up with everyday activities.

I learned just in small talk with the owner that he had a XL Big Green Egg. Next thing you know we're looking over my grills and smokers in the garage. So that was kind of fun.

From an old retired HAVC Guy, I can tell you it meant the world to those guys. Way to roll Brother! :thumb:

Won’t help with this grill but when I had my Shirley delivered this spring I used a company Legendary Services Group (850) 240-2695. I can’t say enough good about these guys, kept me up to date with texts and pics from loading to arrival. Might be an option for your replacement......

Back