THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've heard of people using a bread maker to mix dough for bread and pizza. Use the machine for the mixing and turn off and remove dough and cook.

We have a pizza dough setting on ours but for $1.19 at Trader Joes that button never gets pushed...

The Trader Joe's dough won't take temps too high without burning; it's a decent dough, but one to be a bit careful with.

The Electrolux is great, as are KA mixers. For dough, I have hard that anything less than the 600w units are too light to do a great job.

I got the KA classic, think we paid $179 on sale, wish I woulda got a bigger one, when making pizza dough, it bogs down, doesn't really have enough power, I grind a lot of meat with it and use it for mixing all the time, I wish I woulda spent more and got a more powerful one.
But it is a great machine, have had and abused it for 1 1/2 yrs and still running strong

Guys - Thanks to all for the great feedback !!!

Not sure what I'll do.. I like the idea of the mixer but not prepared to spend the $ yet. I don't want this to end up becoming a decoration on my kitchen counter.

I have to say...I LOVE my KitchenAid mixer. I picked up a 450w mixer at Sam's Club a few weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. I mix up bread dough once or twice a week...takes all of 5 minutes, and it turns out so nicely. And I've done brownies (real ones, not the box mix garbage), and chocolate chip cookies with much less work than I had before I bought it.

I use it for everything I used to use my handheld mixer for, and it's so much easier because it just runs and I don't have to sit there and babysit it. I can be doing other things while it's running.

I highly recommend a Kitchen Aid. I'm very pleased with mine.

Vinny,
i find that dough in the small mixers climb the hook way too easy. the big hobarts mix well because the weight of the ball allows it to stay down in the bowl while it mixes. for pizza dough at home the best way to go is to kneed it. try cake yeast as opposed to dry and try to get some of those metal pizza dough containers from RD. cold proof in the containers, punching the dough down if it pops the top, for a day or two before using.

We bought our KA in 1980 for 149.99. I have acquired almost all the attachments, I think, and it is still going strong. Best investment we ever made.
That was when Hobart made them, and they were a much better machine.

The KA will do the job, just not as well as other machines. The regular dough hook is a poor design.

If $ is an issue, keep watching ebay or CL. I see them all the time.

If you are making dough by hand, the stretch and fold method, after an autolyse period works well for pizza dough (and bread).

If $ becomes a non issue, and/or you really want a better machine....go Electrolux DLX.

Guys - Thanks to all for the great feedback !!!

Not sure what I'll do.. I like the idea of the mixer but not prepared to spend the $ yet. I don't want this to end up becoming a decoration on my kitchen counter.

If you haven't checked it out, take a look at pizzamaking.com. KC got me hooked on that site, and I picked up a lot of good info.

I was in the same boat as you when I was looking at the KA. It's a pretty pricey investment just to make pizza dough. however now that I have it, it was worth every penny.

The reason is that its a quality product. Everything I've read on them says they'll last years on end. I've only had mine for two years so I can't speak from personal experience on it. But the thing is great for all sorts of doughs and baking applications. I think its a must have in the kitchen if you cook a lot due to how easy it makes things on the cook.

If you just want something for pizza dough though, I used the food processor with great results as well. the only problem with it will wear n' tear on a food processor due to the heaftiness of the dough. I usually make several batches at once and freeze the dough (after its done rising)so I have a stock pile. The food processor just can't do that because you're only doing one large pizza dough at a time as opposed to two for the KA. Plus after one the food processor is running pretty hot, I'm hestitent to run two on it back to back.

Basically it comes down to how much you want to make at a time and how often you make dough.

I also make dabble in sausages with the KA with the attachment. I say dabble because its hard to make large batches of sausage with the KA due to the heat it creates. But its great for making various sausages for BBQ in 3 lb. quantities.

Just my take

Bru

Back