THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little footage from the Slab Yo Mama BBQ Booth Friday... Patrick Dodd & Josh Roberts doing a chill cover of Watchtower. Don't miss Josh's solo at the 5:00mark...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqM-db7hK1k"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Big Shout out to Neil and Blaker for a 2nd Place Sauce. I think they topped all of the breathern this year.

We just pulled in from a long haul and are pleased to be home. Grat week for the Black Pig and a very busy one at that.

Cheers all

Mike

final numbers for Slab Yo Mama:

BEEF: 3rd out of 105 entries :woot:

TOMATO SAUCE: 8th out of 121 :solid: (beating big bob gibson, yazoo delta q, cool smoke, 10 bones...)

HOT WINGS: 14th out of 121 :not bad: (beat yazoo q, voodoo q, natural born grillers, 10 bones, the shed...)

RIBS: 27th out of 100-something :decent: (haven't posted full final results)

SEAFOOD: 32nd out of 102 :ehhhhh:

VINEGAR SAUCE: 36th out of 74 :crap: (still beat big bob gibson, the shed, Willinghams, and 10 bones)

MUSTARD SAUCE: 40th out of 74 :crap: (Same exact recipe that has taken 3r

Tomato Sauce - 2nd
Vinegar Sauce - 8th
Exotic - 13th
Beef - 20th
Seafood - 38th
Hotwings - 49th
Chicken - 64th
Mustard Sauce - 42nd

4 top twankys aint bad!!!

Matt, did you do the tie math? There were several score ties in the catagories, but they don't list numbers twice on the sheet...therefore you may be lower in places than you listed.

So, Team On Asswinement finished 83rd out of 120 teams in the rib category. Normally, that would not be all that great. But considering I was teamed with four magazine editors, who knew nothing really about BBQ, and we had to make a rib and sauce on Thursday I think we did pretty good.

I know I would not have wanted to finish 84 to 120 if I were the other teams.

I'm with Beef n the Chicken from Memphis, TN.

Wife and I got a call last week for 2nd place Seafood at MIM. We were 1st in Seafood at MIM back in 2009 so it was fun to get on stage again. Wife and I also did our team's Beef and Mustard sauce entries but neither or those did very well at all. Last two years my mustard sauce was top 20 but this year it was near the bottom, same recipe. Whatcha going to do right?

Props to the Slab yo Mama team who I see posting here. Always seem like a good team from this outside observer. I registered on this board last year but look forward to poking around here some more this time around. Happy Q to everybody.

So, Team On Asswinement finished 83rd out of 120 teams in the rib category. Normally, that would not be all that great. But considering I was teamed with four magazine editors, who knew nothing really about BBQ, and we had to make a rib and sauce on Thursday I think we did pretty good.

I know I would not have wanted to finish 84 to 120 if I were the other teams.

You all did great! The onsite presentation was very professional.

Cack, the note you left on the Silky's check kills me! That's soooo true! My wife is a professional singer and sings on Beale a good bit so I'm pretty familiar with the woman you're speaking of. I have NO IDEA how she has a weekly gig there or anywhere. . Amazing!

Cack, the note you left on the Silky's check kills me! That's soooo true! My wife is a professional singer and sings on Beale a good bit so I'm pretty familiar with the woman you're speaking of. I have NO IDEA how she has a weekly gig there or anywhere. . Amazing!

Dude, I'm telling you that lady was HORRIBLE!!!!! We walked in and this guy was singing so we thought it was open mic or something. He was actually really good. Then she goes "I'm going to do this song for his buddy he requested." and she killed it (in a bad way). Then the next song she did she got to the end and said "what's wrong with all of you" ... I wanted to scream out "WE'RE TRYING NOT TO LISTEN TO YOU." That had to be the WORST professional "singer" I've ever heard in my life.

Oh and the night before. We were outside at Silky's and saw this ...

412439_10151713866710048_771015047_24070142_1194570223_o.jpg

Tomato Sauce - 2nd
Matt, did you do the tie math? There were several score ties in the catagories, but they don't list numbers twice on the sheet...therefore you may be lower in places than you listed.

Ha! I thought they scored it like PGA Golf.... if there are 3 ties for 2nd then the next guy is 5th place.

I went off the official results (I think?) sheets which ignore ties:
Example: 14th in Wings or would that make us 12th with two ties?

I'm with Beef n the Chicken from Memphis, TN.

Props to the Slab yo Mama team who I see posting here. Always seem like a good team from this outside observer. I registered on this board last year but look forward to poking around here some more this time around. Happy Q to everybody.

:thumb: to Beef n the Chicken

Thanks for the kind words. We do what we can!

Next year should be pretty insane. The head of one of the two scaffolding companies has joined our team and will be using our booth as their showcase. Discussions already going on about some pretty interesting setups. Doesn't hurt that the guy has major pull within the park too with regards to location, resources, etc.

Food wise we've got a few other things in mind that should improve our finishes. Pitmaster for Porkstars (5th ribs this year, 7th in 2011) is a good buddy of mine and they cook on Backwoods Competitors as well. He's coming over a few times this summer will be open-book-ing their process and we're going to experiment with some different stuff. Should be good times. :thumb:

I think I might cook in a few more comps this/next year... typically we only do MIM annually.

Back