MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

Between rain & high winds, it's been tough to get an outdoor cook in.

Tonight's dinner. Chopped steak topped with porcini mushroom butter and a salsa verde comprised of pickled onions, capers, & parsley. (Too much green on the plate but it all tasted good!)

YYkoCle.jpg

Very nice dinner!! [emoji39]

Ok so a friend asked me to smoke 3 racks of baby backs tomorrow.... + I ll do some wings.

I decided the Mak 2 star gets the call due to a busy schedule (TY! MAK AND WIFI... I think )

Any tips or nuisances I should plan for on the PG? I can cook some good/great (occasionally) ribs on my primo and offset but I’ve noticed some difference in the PG (while cooking chicken) and don’t want to disappoint anyone with these ribs.

What temps And method do you recommend and plz KISS?

Ok so a friend asked me to smoke 3 racks of baby backs tomorrow.... + I ll do some wings.

I decided the Mak 2 star gets the call due to a busy schedule (TY! MAK AND WIFI... I think )

Any tips or nuisances I should plan for on the PG? I can cook some good/great (occasionally) ribs on my primo and offset but I’ve noticed some difference in the PG (while cooking chicken) and don’t want to disappoint anyone with these ribs.

What temps And method do you recommend and plz KISS?
I like to cook Duroc STL Spares at 245 start to finish and they are ready to be pulled 5 to 5.5hrs cooking on the top shelf. After the first 2hrs I like to spritz with 50/50 ACV/water every 45min, prefer Ribs dry so normally I don't glaze and never wrap.

5TyIA6o.jpg

yO9hW3B.jpg

Last edited:
I typically cook St. Louies instead of baby backs. That said, my method is pretty close to what Kevin just outlined. Baby backs tend to cook a bit faster than back ribs. How do you cook baby backs on your Primo?

I like to cook Duroc STL Spares at 245 start to finish and they are ready to be pulled 5 to 5.5hrs cooking on the top shelf. After the first 2hrs I like to spritz with 50/50 ACV/water every 45min, prefer Ribs dry so normally I don't glaze and never wrap.

5TyIA6o.jpg

yO9hW3B.jpg
Those ribs look great. I’ve only done 1 rib cook & it went ok. Still learning. So without a wrap, do your ribs still come out juicy? I’m usually a wrapper so I’m looking forward to trying to improve my rib game yo! Lol. Thanks

Those ribs look great. I’ve only done 1 rib cook & it went ok. Still learning. So without a wrap, do your ribs still come out juicy? I’m usually a wrapper so I’m looking forward to trying to improve my rib game yo! Lol. Thanks
They always turnout fantastic and honestly everyone I've ever cooked Ribs for in the last 3-4 years have told me that they were the best Ribs they ever had without solicitation. The biggest reason for that is starting with a great piece of meat, if I'm cooking Ribs I only cook Duroc STL Spares, the meat on the spares is a dark red not pale I also pick out the racks with the most marbling. Marbling equals flavor and a moist tender RIB as long as it's not under cooked or burnt to cinders, sort of like a good Ribeye it's hard to screw it up.

CavWSOk.jpg

YJFzxRY.jpg

Thanks. I’ve never tried without wrapping & I’ve never tried spritzing. I do like a glaze though

Thanks Grant, I'm wondering if tracking Duroc down will be more difficult than finding toilet paper in our current environment.

Creekstone has duroc ribs. & skirt steak happens to be on sale now too.
Creekstone's prices are too high, Duroc is $3.99 a pound at The Butcher Shoppe most racks run just under 3.5lbs, less than $14 for a rack. Heck you can buy a Wagyu Brisket there for $8.99 a pound which is pretty close to what a prime brisket at Creekstone would cost.

Creekstone's prices are too high, Duroc is $3.99 a pound at The Butcher Shoppe most racks run just under 3.5lbs, less than $14 for a rack. Heck you can buy a Wagyu Brisket there for $8.99 a pound which is pretty close to what a prime brisket at Creekstone would cost.

Do you have a direct link to where you buy? Not sure if there’s more than one “butcher shoppe” in your area. Super curious to see what pricing looks like for home delivery.

Back