THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That crust looks pretty darn good! First thing I saw this morning! I usually don’t eat breakfast but now I’m hungry!

They always turnout fantastic and honestly everyone I've ever cooked Ribs for in the last 3-4 years have told me that they were the best Ribs they ever had without solicitation. The biggest reason for that is starting with a great piece of meat, if I'm cooking Ribs I only cook Duroc STL Spares, the meat on the spares is a dark red not pale I also pick out the racks with the most marbling. Marbling equals flavor and a moist tender RIB as long as it's not under cooked or burnt to cinders, sort of like a good Ribeye it's hard to screw it up.

CavWSOk.jpg

YJFzxRY.jpg
Great looking ribs. Are you buying them from Kevin Green in Pensacola?

Sorry, I posted this when I saw it, but didn't read far enough down the posts to see that you were buying from Kevin. I have bought from The Butcher Shoppe and the product has always been great.

Last edited:
Will do! What Temp do you cook yours at? Thanks for the help!

Sorry Crispy, I thought I answered you last night. I cook them from 225° to 325° depending on time.

I would love to think the MiniMAK is gonna be released by this summer... but I ain’t holding my breath anymore for fear I might kill the last living cell. I’ll bet ya $1 it’s out before your vacation [emoji1306]

BET!

Sorry Crispy, I thought I answered you last night. I cook them from 225° to 325° depending on time.

Thanks. No worries. There are So many posting great food in here that it’s easy to get distracted! I know I do. Sometimes it’s like I can’t keep up with everybody!

I messaged them on FB and got a quick reply. Here’s what I got back. I’ll try to post prices when I get them.
ab8e64b2242cf52e631c4ad6967eabad.jpg

Here’s the pricing list I got back from the Butchers Shoppe. Waiting to see what shipping to CA looks like. If not bad, I may start ordering from them. Their pricing is not bad at all for quality meat! :)
8aa48d6985fda58c52916f42676b361e.jpg

I hate to bring this up (MAKmini) but seeing as how someone mentioned it (MAKmini) a page or two back, I’m just wondering to there is a MAKmini coming soon?

#inquiringmindswannaknow

I’d suuuure like to have it (MAKmini) to take on vacation in September...

Otherwise I’m gonna have to figure out how to take Mabel!

Like I said before, it's been at least 3 years since I first heard of it. It's the Sasquatch of pellet grills!
I think Walters is going to be out a dollar!! lol

Like I said before, it's been at least 3 years since I first heard of it. It's the Sasquatch of pellet grills!
I think Walters is going to be out a dollar!! lol

Nah, I’ll even bet ya $1 I won’t be out a dollar [emoji106]

Well? What was the verdict on the smoked cabbage?
It was good but I think I can make it a little better, used Q-Salt for seasoning, went a little too light and I would have liked to let it cook for another hour, went 3hrs@245 or cooked it at a higher temp like 275. I think next time I'll skip the butter, chop up 6 to 8 strips of raw bacon sprinkle on top to crisp up and let the cabbage soak up the bacon goodness. All that being said my wife thought it was great and she's not really big on sausage while I love sausage.

I have another head in the fridge but it will be a few days, other things in the queue that I want to cook first.

Last edited:
So on a grocery excursion this morning this caught my eye... I said “Whaaaaaat? A made in Oklahoma bologna that I’ve never heard of!?! GET IN MY BASKET!!!”

It’s the real deal y’all, if you come across it somewhere do yourself a favor and try it!

It was good but I think I can make it a little better, used Q-Salt for seasoning, went a little too light and I would have liked to let it cook for another hour, went 3hrs@245 or cooked it at a higher temp like 275. I think next time I'll skip the butter, chop up 6 to 8 strips of raw bacon sprinkle on top to crisp up and let the cabbage soak up the bacon goodness. All that being said my wife thought it was great and she's not really big on sausage while I love sausage.

I have another head in the fridge but it will be a few days, other things in the queue that I want to cook first.

DOOOOOOOOOOD !!!!

Your bacon idea just took this to a whole different level!!!

My wife purchased some sliced Bologna this morning for Muffalettas, I was telling her I need to buy a chub and smoke it. She looked at me like I was crazy, let her know it's very popular and I need to give it a go.

D7285783-092-C-49-F4-9-D46-82552-E3-B6496.jpg

I like to cook Duroc STL Spares at 245 start to finish and they are ready to be pulled 5 to 5.5hrs cooking on the top shelf. After the first 2hrs I like to spritz with 50/50 ACV/water every 45min, prefer Ribs dry so normally I don't glaze and never wrap.

5TyIA6o.jpg

yO9hW3B.jpg

Hey thanks for all the tips on the ribs guys!
I followed Kevin’s Recomendation pretty closely.(except the foil)
4 hrs at 250
1 hr in foil
30 minutes to dry up the bark

Spritz last half of cook.

Turned out great. Smoke flavor nice and light. Maybe a little TOO fall off the bone but not dry. I lost track of time and left on longer than planned.

Next cook I’ll go 245 the whole way.

Hey thanks for all the tips on the ribs guys!
I followed Kevin’s Recomendation pretty closely.(except the foil)
4 hrs at 250
1 hr in foil
30 minutes to dry up the bark

Spritz last half of cook.

Turned out great. Smoke flavor nice and light. Maybe a little TOO fall off the bone but not dry. I lost track of time and left on longer than planned.

Next cook I’ll go 245 the whole way.
The reason I go 245 instead of 250 is Smoke mode to 245 the fan runs at 60% of max and at 250 to 295 it runs at 80% of max, 300 and above fan runs at 100%. Figure the lower fan speed equals more smoke, foil will also speed up your cook shortening your cook time.

Back