MaidRite Sammies

The only recollection of loose meat sandwiches I can recall was on Rosanne when she was opening her own restaurant.

I vowed never to eat anything Rosanne ate.

Went to Iowa for three days with Michael to visit family. I come form a small farm town of a few hundred people. First night we watched a local high school softball game and had a Maidrite from the snack stand. Felt right at home.

The next day we stopped into the Dairy Queen in Spencer, IA. They had a "Barbecue Sandwich" on the menu. It was basically the same sandwich with BBQ sauce.

When I was in second grade (late 70s), my family moved from GA to OK so that my parents could go to a bible school. My parents were both only working part time while putting themselves through school as well as a daughter in college and three more children at home; so, my folks were always looking for inexpensive stuff.

One night, my mother browned some loose ground beef in a pan, poured off some of the grease, and then dumped barbecue sauce on it and stirred it all together. We still eat it this way on a regular basis.

Back