Please identify this Italian deli meat.

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
I’m having problems getting a good Italian hoagie Within a 20 minute drive so I decided to start making them myself.

My mom worked at a hoagie shop when I was growing up in Philly so I know what’s supposed to go on it, but the names of the meats are right out of the Sopranos. The deli items used in an Italian hoagie are: mild provolone, Genoa salami, gabagool, and gootageeno SP(?).

Thanks to the Sopranos everyone knows what gabagool is (aka Capacolla). But I’ll be darned if I can get a straight answer on gootageeno.

In the attached video taken at White House subs they identify the meat a gootageeno, but didn’t give the interviewer a straight answer on what it was. My mom made hoagies in a hoagie shop and she doesn’t even know what gootageeno really is. Here is the link to the White House Subs video. https://youtu.be/LDVEAc4jO5I

So far I tried cooked salami and mortadella. The imported mortadella seemed close, but not spot on. Perhaps I need to hone in on the brand.

Can any of you identify the mystery meat below. This is a photo grab from the White House subs video.

5-BECDD70-4-E73-4425-9968-1-C52139-E2-E6-E.jpg

Last edited:
Found a couple slang references. Gootageen --> Cotechino. Never seen that used on any Italian subs around here though.

Around here all the good Italian places use genoa salami, mortadella, capicola & provolone.

Last edited:
Found a couple slang references. Gootageen --> Cotechino. Never seen that used on any Italian subs around here though.

Around here all the good Italian places use genoa salami, mortadella, capicola & provolone.

Thanks! I think you are on to something. I just looked up “cotechino hoagie” and came up with multiple hits from hoagie shops, hoagie recipes, and even an advertisement for boar’s head Cotechino that looks almost identical.

I also watched a video on how no make Cotechino sausage and he pronounced it as gootageeno which identical to what I’ve always heard.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Italian subs are typically made with salami, prosciutto, mortadella, ham and capicola with provolone cheese.

Thanks for posting. I’ve probably had subs with your combination, but I’m trying to duplicate the ones I had growing up in Philly. White House subs are spot on but they don’t use the softer Philly roll. I got used to the harder Atlantic City roll from Formica bakery and actually prefer them now.

Last edited:
Not familiar with that deli meat. There's a great Italian grocery/sub place that's a bit out of the way from my commute. Thread reminded I should go there again.

Typical deli meats and provolone in their Italian sub. What sets it apart from other places is the hard roll. So good they charge an extra buck over same sub on a soft roll.

I’m having problems getting a good Italian hoagie Within a 20 minute drive so I decided to start making them myself.

My mom worked at a hoagie shop when I was growing up in Philly so I know what’s supposed to go on it, but the names of the meats are right out of the Sopranos. The deli items used in an Italian hoagie are: mild provolone, Genoa salami, gabagool, and gootageeno SP(?).

Thanks to the Sopranos everyone knows what gabagool is (aka Capacolla). But I’ll be darned if I can get a straight answer on gootageeno.

In the attached video taken at White House subs they identify the meat a gootageeno, but didn’t give the interviewer a straight answer on what it was. My mom made hoagies in a hoagie shop and she doesn’t even know what gootageeno really is. Here is the link to the White House Subs video. https://youtu.be/LDVEAc4jO5I

So far I tried cooked salami and mortadella. The imported mortadella seemed close, but not spot on. Perhaps I need to hone in on the brand.

Can any of you identify the mystery meat below. This is a photo grab from the White House subs video.

5-BECDD70-4-E73-4425-9968-1-C52139-E2-E6-E.jpg

I think for the forms and the name you gave ("gootageeno") it is "cotechino" also similar is "zampone", but one are inside pork hands and other inside por guts.

I´m not italian but Spanish, but I think you are searching for that.

Not familiar with that deli meat. There's a great Italian grocery/sub place that's a bit out of the way from my commute. Thread reminded I should go there again.

Typical deli meats and provolone in their Italian sub. What sets it apart from other places is the hard roll. So good they charge an extra buck over same sub on a soft roll.

Reminds me to go check out a place close by

Ventimiglia Italian Foods
(586) 979-0828
https://maps.app.goo.gl/bWCbpWd6BGmR1CqP8

Maybe it's the same one your talking about? Good subs. The best part is it's a family run business. Even have some young grandkids working the store

I didn’t have a fresh crusty roll on hand today so decided to make a hoagie sandwich on white bread to use up some of the lunch meat.

The sandwich was surprisingly good and to be quite honest it was way better than making one on a day-old or mediocre hoagie roll.

This may be my go to home hoagie sandwich if I don’t have a fresh baked hoagie roll on hand.
70-B0-A91-F-1-D7-F-4-BA5-9809-0140895-DC1-CC.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll have a whole White House Special with the works!

cotechino adds another layer of great flavor. Cooked salami is similar if you can’t find.

Bill

Thanks!

Do you know where to find Cotechino around here?

We were picking up ground beef at the Woodbine meat market today and while scanning their case for Cotechino I saw something that looked identical to the photo on my phone and it was Dietz & Watson cooked salami. I bought 1/4lb and I think it’s the right stuff. I plan to make a White House run next week to confirm my suspicion.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen cotechino at many deli counters in a while, but most of the time I am in supermarket deli sections and not at independent higher end delis. Hence, I have to substitute cooked salami if I want to add achieve what the White House has delivered for 70 years or so. Might try checking out Sacko Subs or others in the area and maybe you can see what they use. White House is tough to see then actually make the subs. You used to be able to watch if I recall but that would have been a while ago. See what you think about substituting cooked salami.

This is an update.

The meat I was looking for turned out to be cooked salami. I also found it is best to cut the onions way in advance to let them sit to take the bite out of them.

I also confirmed what I’ve been hearing my entire life. The most important thing is the roll! If you have a fresh quality roll, you have a great hoagie, if the roll isn’t on point, the hoagie won’t be good. It is amazing how a just ok roll will ruin a perfectly good hoagie.

Wawa bakes fresh rolls in the store all day, and it’s been the most convenient place for me to get a decent roll. The supermarket fresh rolls are hit and miss.

Back