MaidRite Sammies

Village Inn onion rings are the best!

Spent a lot of time at Morningside College. Had a few friends go there while I was in LeMars.

Go over to Alfredo's Pizza on the Westside of Sioux City. Also, Miller Liquor in North Sioux City, SD has a bunch of BBQ sauces, rubs, etc. for sale if you find your way across the border.

North Sioux City SD has the best prices on fireworks I've ever found. Just a heads up.

North Sioux City SD has the best prices on fireworks I've ever found. Just a heads up.

I spent 2nd grade through 8th grade at McCook Lake just across I-29. Every spare $1 went for Black Cats in the summer. Can you still get a pack of Black Cats for a buck?

I just gotta chime in about the Maid-Rite burgers. There was one in Wichita Falls, Texas years ago. Downtown, next door to one of the movie theaters.
We didn't buy movie food but went to Maid-Rite before and sometimes after the movie.

Great stuff it was then but it's been at least 30 years or more since I tasted one of them. Thanks for the memories and the recipes!!!

Village Inn onion rings are the best!

Spent a lot of time at Morningside College. Had a few friends go there while I was in LeMars.

Go over to Alfredo's Pizza on the Westside of Sioux City. Also, Miller Liquor in North Sioux City, SD has a bunch of BBQ sauces, rubs, etc. for sale if you find your way across the border.

I will have to try the pizza joint when I'am up there nexted time. You do know that John Nilges owns Miller Liquor(Parret Head Smokers BBQ Team)

Anyone ever eat at loosemeat sammies at the Lanford Lunchbox ??

Roseanne TV show mod....:biggrin:

The Lanford Lunch Box - Coffee shop featured on the sitcom ROSEANNE/ABC/1988-97. The Lanford Lunch Box was opened during the 1992 season when Roseanne Connor (Roseanne Barr) and sister Jackie Harris (Laurie Metcalf) pooled their money (some from their mother) to open a coffee shop that specialized in loose-meat sandwiches.
The whole Conner clan pitched in to help run the eatery except for Roseanne's daughter, Darlene (Sara Gilbert), an avowed vegetarian who objected to the way the family earned its money. When Darlene did something wrong, her mother Roseanne made her work at the shop as a punishment and server loose-meat sandwiches to the customers.
TRIVIA NOTE: On March 13-14, 1993, Roseanne Barr and then husband, Tom Arnold were the guest chefs at the grand opening of their own real-life eatery called Roseanne & Tom's Big Food Diner located just a few miles from Tom's native Ottumwa near Highway 5 at 101 Elm Street in Eldon, Iowa 52254 (population 1,070).
With a seating capacity of 50-70 customers, the restaurant served the four basic food groups "cholesterol, grease, sugar and starch" from 6:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., seven days a week with menu entrees ranging from $1.50 to $4.50.
Resembling the TV counterpart, the restaurant featured a Cheesy Loose-Meat Sandwich for $1.75 (which one Eldonite said "tasted like burnt hair") as well as "The Elvis," a grilled peanut butter, chocolate and banana sandwich, and an early morning meal known as "The Breakfast Mess," a plateful of scrambled eggs swimming in cheese chunks, fried potatoes and onions.
The eatery's interior was filled with photographs and mementos from Roseanne and Tom's life including an Emmy Award (later taken back) sitting in a glass souvenir case next to the cash register. Tom Arnold's brother Chris oversaw the diner's operation.
When Roseanne and Tom divorced in 1994, business at the restaurant turned "molasses-slow." The restaurant closed in 1995 and the property was later donated to the city of Eldon.
Before Roseanne and Tom's invasion of Eldon, Iowa, the farm town's only claim to fame was its two-story house seen in the background of Grant Wood's 1930 painting "American Gothic." (TV Guide 3/13/93 p.18-19 and Entertainment Weekly 12/23/1994 p. 8-

I will have to try the pizza joint when I'am up there nexted time. You do know that John Nilges owns Miller Liquor(Parret Head Smokers BBQ Team)

Yes I do. I know John, that's why I mention it.

Growing up in Sioux City & McCook Lake, Alfredo's was our family night out. Took my wife there several years ago. One taste and it brings back all kinds of memories. "The Secret's in the Sauce."

Another classic Sioux City pizza joint is Westside pizza. Westside and Alfredo's are tucked away in the West side neighborhoods. Not in some big shopping center. Just like back in the day. Memories. :rolleyes:

Who would have thunked a thread about maid rites would go 5 pages?

A few friendly hyjacks here and there about goulash, specific joints, and Sioux City pizza. Its all good. I think topics like this stir memories and highlight regional or sometimes even local cuisine that you just don't find this day and age. You can't go many places in this country and not find the same damn overly commercialized food you have everywhere. That's a great thing about BBQ and why most seek out the local joints more so than the chain restaurants. Maybe BBQ is less a gourmet food (an overly used term) and more of a "boutique" food. Hard to create in an extremely exceptional way in mass proportions.

Think of Maidrites, Taverns, Barbecues, or Runzas all born within a few hundred miles of each other 70-90 years ago, but regional within those same few hundred miles. People didn't travel much then. They didn't travel as fast. They took time to eat meals. It wasn't gas and go. It wasn't 300-500 miles in a day down an interstate. You got a chance to taste local flavor. Food from scratch and local recipes.

Those few special places that still exist off the beaten path are featured on Food TV, etc. as prehistoric dining. Yet many of us with varying years under our belt recall the days when these places were just called diners or restaurants and the meals were just called lunch and supper (or was it dinner for you?).

I think an increasing sense of nostalgia is a sign of aging for most of us. Then again, I've had a little too much vodka tonight. :rolleyes:

I spent 2nd grade through 8th grade at McCook Lake just across I-29. Every spare $1 went for Black Cats in the summer. Can you still get a pack of Black Cats for a buck?

i use to buy packs of black cats,, until i all most blow my fingers off..i use to get them in my stomping grounds Siseton, South Dakota a life time ago..

i use to buy packs of black cats,, until i all most blow my fingers off..i use to get them in my stomping grounds Siseton, South Dakota a life time ago..

Almost blew my sister's ear drum out once with a Black Cat. Wonder if she remembers that? :icon_blush:

i was burning packs all at once.. when it happen. i had a whole hand full of cats.and they will make you want your Mommy no matter how old you are.. and thats no chit...

I remember years back a buddy came and picked me up in his '58 Ford hardtop convertible. He had his little brother and his freind and we alll took off to cause some mischief. We'd been drivin about ten minutes when the little brothers friend wanted to light off one of the bottle rockets he had filling up his t-shirt pocket. He lit it and was holding the stem so it would shoot out the car winder. It went off as planned but in the process lit the rest of them in his pocket.
Funniest minute and a half I've ever seen in my life...
ModelMaker

I havent read all the posts so apologize if this is a repeat.... but Marshalltown has Taylor's Made-rite. Good stuff!!!

And I make a killer nu-way clone....

Memories

I grew up in Independence, Mo and we had a place called Mugs UP drive in, their version of the loose meat was called the Zip burger. They had the best damn root beer around, served in a great big ice cold glass mug! Sister was a car hop there, remember those days. (American Graffittee Mod). I think the place may actually still exist.:shock:

I grew up in Independence, Mo and we had a place called Mugs UP drive in, their version of the loose meat was called the Zip burger. They had the best damn root beer around, served in a great big ice cold glass mug! Sister was a car hop there, remember those days. (American Graffittee Mod). I think the place may actually still exist.:shock:

It DOES still exist in Columbia! Cheese zip with mustard onions and pickles, hard to duplicate the actual, as I've tried many times.

Also the best damn chili cheese dog with onions you'll ever eat! When my brother in law is in town to visit from MN, it's the very first place we hit!

Its still there.

I'm thinkin lunch at Mugs UP sounds good... I have driven past it, never stopped. I'm usually at Hi-Boy if I am in independance wanting something burgeresque.

I'm thinkin lunch at Mugs UP sounds good... I have driven past it, never stopped. I'm usually at Hi-Boy if I am in independance wanting something burgeresque.

Got lots of time on my hands now. :icon_blush: Let me know when you are up for a Mugs Up trip.

Back