MaidRite Sammies

Nothing like that around here but I was watchin Diners drive ins and dives on food network the other night and I couldn't believe Guy Fieri never heard of American Chop Suey. I grew up on the stuff !!

Nothing like that around here but I was watchin Diners drive ins and dives on food network the other night and I couldn't believe Guy Fieri never heard of American Chop Suey. I grew up on the stuff !!

What is it?

I'm confused, because I know enough about chinese food to know chop suey is not chinese. It was created here in the U.S. to bring some asian influence (some asian spices and vegetables) to a more bland pallete.

What is it?

I'm confused, because I know enough about chinese food to know chop suey is not chinese. It was created here in the U.S. to bring some asian influence (some asian spices and vegetables) to a more bland pallete.

It's basically elbow macaroni with hamburger, tomatoes, garlic, green pepper and onion. I have no clue why it's called chop suey.

Thanks Yank

I learned like 3 things today, go figure (and that macaroni thingy is new to me too)

american chop suey... kin folk in kentucky call goolosh.. tomatoe sauce, ground beef,onions,elbow noodles

My version of a Maid Rite

consists of 3# good lean burger, minced onion, garlic, salt pepper, Worcestershire and beef stock. Cook in pressure cooker until reaslly well done. Break up with a potato masher. On a seeded bun with pickle slice and Mayo.

Ain't it great? :biggrin:

Ever been to Prairie du Chien? They have a sidewalk stand that makes hamburgers in a big water tray. It's like a big skillet with sides that they add in about an inch of water. Not sure why, it it keeps them from burning or what - but they're good filler as you pull into town before heading out on the river for the weekend.

The place is called Petes and is across the street from Starks (the original
Gander Mtn/Bass ProShops) it's a little dinky shack the city or Starks can't grt rid of because its existance is grandfathered in, as long as it stays under the family ownership. I'm sure there would be a riot if they got booted.
The burgers are made fresh and cooked 30 or 40 at a time. They keep lbs of sliced onions in the middle of the grill and everything is cooked in about an inch of water and grease (steamed). You can tell when a batch is done because two lines form out of nowhere and the entire batch is grabbed up and starts all over again. Your choice is wit or witout (onions) and they are single handly the best gut bombs you will ever taste. They say that if you stay there long enough you will meet just about everybody you know.
I've expierienced that many times.
I highly,highly recommend the side trip if within an hour of there. Summer they are open daily but off season (spring/fall) just weekends.
ModelMaker

The place is called Petes and is across the street from Starks (the original
Gander Mtn/Bass ProShops) it's a little dinky shack the city or Starks can't grt rid of because its existance is grandfathered in, as long as it stays under the family ownership. I'm sure there would be a riot if they got booted.

Thats the place. Pull into town about noon on Thursday/Friday, grab one wit and one witout to fill up. Next, walk across to Starks to load up on enough beer and booze to last the weekend. Then drive about 2 miles north to my sister's cabin and get in the pontoon for 2 days worth of serious drinking, pontooning and sandbarring before driving the 7+ hours back home - wit a hangover.

I'll be there at some point in August.
Good times - Yaa.
Damn Right - Ayy

Yeah I've heard it called goulash and even Slumgullion by some. When I make Goulash I use stew beef not ground beef.

Yes, that's what we'd call Goulash growing up (with ground beef). Had it a lot as a kid.

Last edited:
Our Goulash had ground beef. Wow - two things I haven't had in years. Shout out to mom - I'm coming home!

Her's the one that I grew up on.

5lbs 73% hamburger
4oz ketchup
3tsp mustard
3tsp horseradish
3tsp worcestershire
3tsp salt
1/4 tsp accent flaver enhancer
one med onion
1tsp black pepper
1cup of water
put all in a pot and cook. do not pre cook the meat you need the fat for it to cook right. Hey Todd I built a Village Inn up there and would go to Taste inn and eaat all the time. My daughter is going to morningside this year so I will have one for you then.

Hey Todd I built a Village Inn up there and would go to Taste inn and eaat all the time. My daughter is going to morningside this year so I will have one for you then.

Village Inn onion rings are the best!

Spent a lot of time at Morningside College. Had a few friends go there while I was in LeMars.

Go over to Alfredo's Pizza on the Westside of Sioux City. Also, Miller Liquor in North Sioux City, SD has a bunch of BBQ sauces, rubs, etc. for sale if you find your way across the border.

We call them barbecues. or sloppy Joes. A staple at most every child's birthday, graduation, baptism, etc. Ground beef, onions, tomatoe sauce and seasonings. Dill pickle slices are required. Potato chips are optional.

But then, we steam our corn instead of roasting it, so what do I know?

Don't pick the corn until the water is boiling!
Fresh sweet corn is good eatin'!

Back