THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUPatrick

Knows what WELOCME spells.
Name or Nickame
AUPatrick
Hey guys. Just joined and love the information here and was looking for a little guidance.

I currently have a big green egg that is built into my screened in back porch with a vent a hood to remove the smoke. For convenience it is great in smoking two Boston Butt's at a time, but I miss the days of sitting out on the porch with a beer "tending" the fire. I also love to be able to grill on the BGE, however, it is very difficult to grill hamburgers because: 1) you get a LOT of flare up; and 2) even with a vent-a-hood the porch gets too smokey.

So, I'm looking for a reverse flow cooker that can also serve as a grill. I'm over in Mississippi and am within driving distance to Shirley and Lang. I'm torn between the Shirley 24x42 base smoker at $1,850 and the Lang 36 hybrid at $1,595. From a build standpoint, the Shirley seems much nicer. However, I like the "hybrid" smokers from Lang that have a grill on one side and a smoker on the other.

My question is this: Can you use the Shirley Cooker as a grill? Is that suggestible or will it damage the smoker? I know some people use the warming cabinet on the Shirley as a grill, but 'm not interested in that as it is really not enough room to grill 30+ hamburgers for a party.

If anyone can share some information I would greatly appreciate it.

shirley makes an ash pan that you can put in the main cook chamber. i have never heard of anyone having issues with theirs. it slides in place of the bottom grate.

edit: you can also add a chargrill to a shirley.

They both do a great job.But for quality and resale value,I'd go with the Shirley. I really like the Shirley cabinet models.

I'm kinda in the same boat wanting a patio model stickburner. I would probably prefer a shirley but what are the wait times for lang and shirley?

I cook on both and everyone prefers the Shirley. Does that mean Lang is not a good cooker, hell no. The Lang is great. SF just does everything a bit better except the wait time.

With SF you can get it any way you want. A slide in for direct cooking is no problem.

I can see where the wait could be a deterrent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
90e041eee01020306491d9524f10840f.jpg

I have a traditional ( not Cabinet) Shirly 24 X 60 patio model that i may sell. I'm in SC...PM if you have interest.

Attachments

• 2017-05-07 13.42.26.jpg
    2017-05-07 13.42.26.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 380
my 2 cents. and what decided my decision.
Shirley. Hell of a cooker. piece of art.
lang. hell of a cooker. piece of art.
both companies can accommodate your specific needs.

Shirley, 20+ month wait.
Lang , 4 weeks or so.

that wait time alone was enough to swing me. Now a proud owner of a 36D and don't regret anything at all.

Yeah saw those but how much are they marked up compared to waiting.

from what i can see the price is right in line from what you get from SF. "inbound freight charges"...i have no idea if that is $50 or $500. i would guess that if you buy 12 of something there is a discount of some kind??? call Louis at the St Louis BBQ Store. he will have the answers and he will not harass you about buying anything...really nice guy. another thing is the resale value like already mentioned. i am considering selling mine and from what i am being told you can get almost all of your money back. i am sure i would be the anomaly but this is something to think about.

They both do a great job.But for quality and resale value,I'd go with the Shirley. I really like the Shirley cabinet models.

I'm not too sure about that? I know a few guys that over the years have bought used Langs. When the time came that they wanted to size up or go in a different direction they sold their Langs for more than they purchased them for

the question is do you want a custom built Shirley cooker the way you want it to be or a Lang that they build all of them about the same . both will put out the same BBQ it is just a option thing in what you want .

If you don't want to wait for a Shirley, St Louis Bbq store has a 24x42 with the charcoal grate but no warmer available on their website.

I actually am debating getting one of those while I wait for my big un then sell it a month or so prior. :D

Both will make BBQ great again.

But something about the way Lang operates as a business rubs me the wrong way. I'd give my money to Shirley if you don't mind the 2 year wait. Or buy from BBQ store if you dont need a warmer, yes theres a markup. But a 24x42 for $2200 is still a great deal. Klose would charge you $2800 and LSG would charge you $2600.

Its all just opinion and personal preference.

Both will make BBQ great again.

But something about the way Lang operates as a business rubs me the wrong way. I'd give my money to Shirley if you don't mind the 2 year wait. Or buy from BBQ store if you dont need a warmer, yes theres a markup. But a 24x42 for $2200 is still a great deal. Klose would charge you $2800 and LSG would charge you $2600.

Its all just opinion and personal preference.

Yeah a 2 year wait is pushing it. Most folks would lose interest in that amount of time. Those Shirley's do look awesome. Kinda wish I would have gotten in the queue when I first thought about it.

Back