THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is the one i have.

Mine is similar to this one
41a406bbe5d4103d048129d5ee929257.jpg

I can tell you I had a Loco and it absolutey sucked compared to my 6-7 year old Blackstone with the poorly designed front drain. Even before the redesign everything outside of looks is better on the Blackstone. I got the Loco for looks but it was junk and their customer service was even worse. They don't stand behind their product at all. If I were you I'd cross Loco off even though they look awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder why they sell the 28" with both 2 and 3 burners. I could see if the 3rd burner doubled as a flame grill, or a pot burner. Was there any selling point for the 3 burner vs the 2 burner?

No, I was looking for a 3 burner and found it. I had no use for a 2 burner.

Too much surface area for a 2 burner to be efficient.

They sold this one as the “Pro” model.
It came with a integrated cover, side shelf’s and a magnetic tool holder too.

Last edited:
No, I was looking for a 3 burner and found it. I had no use for a 2 burner.

Too much surface area for a 2 burner to be efficient.

They sold this one as the “Pro” model.
It came with a integrated cover, side shelf’s and a magnetic tool holder too.

Thats my consensus as well.

But what i meant was what was Blackstones selling point. How does a company continue to sell a 2 burner model that lacks even heat distribution, and sell a "pro" model with 3 burners. "are you tired of getting a good char on your smash burgers?, well this 28" 2 burner is the griddle for you!"

Before you cross off LOCO, here's a post I did in April 2021. They're great people.

First off, our house burned completely to the ground last week.
We had a LOCO 90 qt crawfish cooker on our deck that didn't survive the fire. Lots of smoke and heat damage. Hell, we had a large Magnalite roaster that was halfway melted down inside the house.
Anyway, this week, I emailed the company to see about replacement parts (handles, grips, regulator). After several days of emailing, they asked for my address and phone #. Which I provided.
Yesterday morning I received a call from a freight delivery company to set up an appointment for a delivery. Set it for today.
The truck arrived about an hour or so ago, and it was a brand new, in the box crawfish cooker.
Couldn't believe it.
Kudos to LOCO for their awesome service

I guess I'm not a griddle expert, but why does the # of burners impact the efficiency?

I would have assumed 3 burners would give more control/heat zones than 2 burners, but if those 2 burners still cover the same area, wouldn't it still have the same amount of available burners to heat the griddle? Just, less option for how far the temp is adjustable from left to right?

More burners more control over temps in various areas. Bigger cool or hot spots etc.... I had the camp chef ftg 600 and it was great plus it doubles As a open grill. If I was purchasing another I'd give the pit boss a shot because of the non stick coating.

I too prefer the Camp Chef, I had the Blackstone and gave it to a family member.

I have the Camp Chef Denali 3 burner, I like it because it's portable, has modular options for other uses; IE - Deep Frying, Dutch Oven, Pizza Oven, and multiple sized griddle tops for different cooks. Keep in mind that the Denali isn't overly sturdy because it folds up for portability when camping. It also folds up for easy storage in the shed when not in use.

Everyone has a different need, so look at what you need and not necessarily what someone else has.

As far as your drain on the blackstone, I took a short piece of stainless tubing and fitted it, I then used nickel welding wire to bond to the existing drain. You can then run tubing to where you would like to drain / collect the grease in a clean / safe manner.

I bought something of an extension that solves part of the problem so that grease does make it into the container vs running down the leg. Unfortunately I still find myself dumping grease out the front, especially when cleaning. Admittedly, that’s a lack of care/patience problem as much as design but for me, it still ends up with a mess.

I own the 5 burner Pit Boss, not the new non-stick stuff. Had it for 3 years now. Love it, much better built than BS. Even cooking, lots of room, grease tray on the side, very convenient and easy to clean. And the side shelves fold over griddle to make a nice cover. Worth your consideration. Best of luck!

Thanks, I’ll look at it. I do think the side location would be better in my situation.

You can get grill grates and turn them upside down and its like cooking on a flat top- good for small cooks

Just don't try to make eggs for breakfast on them.:biggrin1:

Also, just a heads up, their griddle grates are the worst design i've ever seen. When you try to expand them you get a round bump where the seam is. And the other side has a wavy texture. They should have designed it so the round bump was on the wavy side. I was so mad when i bought them to fit my grill and i couldn't return them because they were just slightly too big so i dremeled them before realizing the design flaw.

end rant

Also take a look at the Grill Primate, its a griddle and a bbq in one. I've cooked on one and its beautiful to cook in. One big plus is that wind doesn't affect it much at all.

I can tell you I had a Loco and it absolutey sucked compared to my 6-7 year old Blackstone with the poorly designed front drain. Even before the redesign everything outside of looks is better on the Blackstone. I got the Loco for looks but it was junk and their customer service was even worse. They don't stand behind their product at all. If I were you I'd cross Loco off even though they look awesome.

This thread got me interested in the Loco. One thing I found interesting on their website is they don't have any details on materials of construction. They mention cool features, and it looks good, but I have no idea what even the griddle metal is made of. I wouldn't buy a product without those details.

I have owned a 36” Blackstone for maybe 4-5 years, gave it to my son and recently bought a 17” BS table top , I love it , just the 2 of us most of the time great heat range and can fit into the sink for a very easy cleaning. A lid would be nice but the sink wouldn’t work well for cleaning then. Made a lot of great meals on the old 36” front drain and a few messes lol. Family of 4 needs the 36” with a lid imo

Check out Steelmade. The insert for my weber gasser is near bullet proof and everything I’ve thrown down on it has come out fantastic. Great option if you don’t have real estate for a dedicated flat top too. Just put the griddle down on the shelf if you want to grill.

https://steelmadeusa.com/

Back