THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
christian
Hey All,

So, I was lookin for some hot sauce which I normal don't really use much. I tried franks but I' am not a fan of vinegar and that 100% tastes like it lol. Any other brands you recommend?

Honestly, I like cholula on most things. Not super hot and none of that vinegar flavor

Speedy's #44 was one of my favorites. Vinegar is way down the list. #88 is same but hot. Speedys has their own website but the link below has Speedys #44 ingredients label

Last edited:
If you have a Walmart near you, they (all that I have been to in 5 states recently) have a bin of trial sized bottles, cost about a buck each.
Somewhere in their food sections.
Yellow bird, Melinda’s, etc.

An all rounder or for a specific application?

The Classic Garlic Fresno is a great all round hot sauce though it's fairly mild.

All the Los Calientes sauces are excellent, pretty versatile and are medium to medium-hot.

Queen Majesty Red Habanero and Black Coffee is spectacular and interesting (really good in eggs).

All those are fairly low in vinegar flavor.

Try get some sambal oelek and just mix in some flavourings to make it more liquid and to your taste.
Example:
1 tbsp sambal,
1 tsp fish sauce, soy or sweet soy
Dash of lemon juice or vinegar if you like

Adjust to your heat level, obviously.

Or mix with some yoghurt or cream cheese to get more like a dipping sauce

Gringo Bandito sauces
Melindas
I'm recent convert ta Marie Sharps

-D
Love Marie Sharps. Will buy MS's every time over Melinda's just on the history of the two. That being said Melinda's is good and I have a couple in my pantry.

The Marie Sharp story that has a link to the discovery of barbacoa by Spanish in the Caribbean. Then how the Choctaw used indirect heat and how the cooking method spread to The Colonies.

American History - Hot Sauce and offset smoked barbecue in a one minute read article.

#neverquitstudying

Link to:
The Marie Sharp Story

I really love Habanero but a lot of it is too hot, grand daughter got me a selection for Christmas that has a good 1 in it, Budapest is the name, not sure if that's a 1 off batch or what

Heatonist curates all their sauces and I've bought in excess of 50 sauces from them and gotten maybe 2 that I didn't like. Some of them are for very specific uses (e.g. Thai flavors, Mala type sauces, etc...). I've found their tasting notes to be pretty solid so even if you don't order from them their site is a pretty good resource.

I'm a fan of Cholula, Valentina's, Tapatio. generally speaking i do not like Tabasco branded sauces, but their Chipotle sauce is very good. El Yucateco red is a go to favorite for me as well, it's a habanero sauce but not crazy heat wise but it does have a little bite

I'm a fan of Cholula, Valentina's, Tapatio. generally speaking i do not like Tabasco branded sauces, but their Chipotle sauce is very good. El Yucateco red is a go to favorite for me as well, it's a habanero sauce but not crazy heat wise but it does have a little bite
The Tabasco Chipotle is excellent but I rarely get a taste. It's gone so fast I think my son drinks the stuff.

Tiger Sauce!!! Also try Cajun Sunshine from the same company. Wish they still made Dragon Sauce, that was my favorite with an Asian twist. Also check out some of the Melinda's sauces. Garlic Habanero isn't really hot, Peri Peri is another good one.

Back