THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers65

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey Guys, I've done a few bigger cooks but I'm always looking for ways to improve/become more efficient, just seeking the opinions on some of the pros here. I'm cooking about 100-150#s of butts for my pastor's 10th anniversary in a couple weeks, and I'm trying to gameplan. A few questions please:

Does PP take smoke differently at different temps? I'll budget 12 hours to cook a butt, if I start with 5-6 in the smoker and 5-6 in the oven, and then switch them after 6 hours will the two groups be different? or should I always smoke first and then oven to finish?

I've traditionally done the vacuum seal and reheat in boiling water method, which is my favorite. Since my last really big cook, I bought one of the 4-bunner Blackstone griddles. Is there any way that could help me in the reheating, or should I stick with the vacuum seal and big pot-o-water method? Church also has a couple industrial ovens at my disposal, as well as my OK Joe offset

2nd reheating idea: I've got 2 size large pots and an outdoor turkey fryer. The smaller of the two pots fits inside the larger one, but the handles keep it off the bottom (kinda like a steamer basket, but a normal pot instead). My idea is to fill the smaller pot with pork, place it inside the larger pot, and then fill the larger pot with water and set them both on the turkey fryer, kind of making a water warming tray. My only concern here is how long would it take to re-heat 75-100 lbs of BBQ surrounded by boiling water (at best)? Would this be better to just keep the pork warm? I think this method would produce great Q, but with that much and only 212*s I feel like it would take a few hours to reheat at least. (when I say "smaller" and "larger" pot, both of these are big seafood boil pots, so they are both pretty dang big, once is just a bit bigger than the other)

Thoughts?

Hey Guys, I've done a few bigger cooks but I'm always looking for ways to improve/become more efficient, just seeking the opinions on some of the pros here. I'm cooking about 100-150#s of butts for my pastor's 10th anniversary in a couple weeks, and I'm trying to gameplan. A few questions please:

Does PP take smoke differently at different temps? I'll budget 12 hours to cook a butt, if I start with 5-6 in the smoker and 5-6 in the oven, and then switch them after 6 hours will the two groups be different? or should I always smoke first and then oven to finish?

I've traditionally done the vacuum seal and reheat in boiling water method, which is my favorite. Since my last really big cook, I bought one of the 4-bunner Blackstone griddles. Is there any way that could help me in the reheating, or should I stick with the vacuum seal and big pot-o-water method? Church also has a couple industrial ovens at my disposal, as well as my OK Joe offset

2nd reheating idea: I've got 2 size large pots and an outdoor turkey fryer. The smaller of the two pots fits inside the larger one, but the handles keep it off the bottom (kinda like a steamer basket, but a normal pot instead). My idea is to fill the smaller pot with pork, place it inside the larger pot, and then fill the larger pot with water and set them both on the turkey fryer, kind of making a water warming tray. My only concern here is how long would it take to re-heat 75-100 lbs of BBQ surrounded by boiling water (at best)? Would this be better to just keep the pork warm? I think this method would produce great Q, but with that much and only 212*s I feel like it would take a few hours to reheat at least. (when I say "smaller" and "larger" pot, both of these are big seafood boil pots, so they are both pretty dang big, once is just a bit bigger than the other)

Thoughts?

I would smoke first then move to the oven to insure a good smoke flavor.

For the amount of pulled pork you estimate, reheating in a tightly sealed foil pan with some apple juice in the commercial oven may be more suitable. I can fit 4 full size foil pans each holding around 12-15 pounds each in our commercial oven. This would allow you to use two ovens and heat in stages.

Back