THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets debate reverse flow vs offset a little. What are the pros and cons of each? I know reverse flow evens out the temps and lessens any hot spots. But the offset must have some pros too or they wouldn't make them.

My reasoning with going tuning plates was the ease of the clean up by removing the plates and being able to have multiple heat zones if I chose to.

I can get dead even temps all across as well obviously.

IMG_0504.jpg

I recommend you do what I did.

I have a 22" WSM on the patio, then I borrowed an Old Country Pecos from my stepdad to see if I liked stick burning. Even if you're buying it, it's a $400 investment and is probably big enough for what you want to do. It's a great compliment to a WSM--cooking capacity is similar, but it's a stick burner with all the pros and cons involved there. I really like having the choice between the two--sometimes I want to play with fire and get tastier food. Sometimes I want to do a set-it-and-forget-it cook and go to the WSM. And if you're doing a really big cook, you can use both--get the stick burner smoke flavor on your big meats, then wrap and finish in your WSM while you cook chicken and ribs.

How does the Pecos cook? Easy to control temps on?

ummm,.. I guess no one got what I was getting at....

I don't think they are going to be offered anymore. However,.. I have already seen 3 come across my CL. So,. they are still out there. And yes, they are good pits. I have no trouble controling my temp zone and maintaining the heat.

I was looking at this builder for awhile, looks like some good work... I think he's up by Dallas.

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=1

There are a lot of great brands out there for stick burners that come in all shapes and sizes. What I think is important is that you establish the criteria for you that will meet your needs.

Here is a video that I think will help you look at the market and put together the how you might want to look at and acquire a new stick burner.

[ame]http://youtu.be/Es0X6RElYro[/ame]

What about an old country over and under? How would that be for a stickburner?

Lotta guys like them. I think it would work great. I've looked up close at them and they seem well built. Bluedawg brought up a good point awhile back that they had stopped putting a damper between the fire box and cook chamber. But I think the unit would still put out some good food with an even temp. across the cook chamber. Great price too.

I have both, a nice stick-burner, and a WSM, we use the WSM for quick cooks with the family, but the woodburner when guest show up, to us, the stick burner makes a more mellow smoke flavor and a more controllable climate(ie, once the pit gets to temp, very easy to keep it there)

ummm,.. I guess no one got what I was getting at....

I don't think they are going to be offered anymore. However,.. I have already seen 3 come across my CL. So,. they are still out there. And yes, they are good pits. I have no trouble controling my temp zone and maintaining the heat.

I was looking at this builder for awhile, looks like some good work... I think he's up by Dallas.

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=1

Academy's around here have Plenty of Pecos and Wranglers

Smitty,.. look at the website. Are they listed for you? I see none, and my store sold out long ago. Great pits, but my spidey sence is tingling.

I could buy 15 this weekend. I don't see them on Website either and maybe they are going away but there's plenty to buy right now in DFW.

I'm in NO. I just ordered a Liberty BBQ which is built in Denham Springs. I have a Lang 48 patio that I may be willing to part with. I hadn't given it much thought, but I'll start thinking it over.

Might consider the Tejas smoker built in Houston, had one for a long time, good cooker and easy to control.......just my 2cents, good luck in your search.

Die hard stick burner fan here. Based on your location I would buy a family heirloom, that will last generations, but heck I am biased. My Shirley Fabricators is my go to cooker when I want to wow not only myself, but my friends.

Back