THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bacchus99

Full Fledged Farker
Well I have been wanting to graduate from my WSM to a stick burner for a while now. I plan to keep the WSM. I understand the basic rules to stick burners are buy the thickest metal you can afford and try and buy from a reputable builder. I'm in Baton Rouge, LA so Shirley is probably the closest builder to me. My family has some land where I can get my own wood(plenty of pecan) plus there are plenty places locally to order wood.

I guess my main question is does the food really taste that much better from a stick burner? Will I really notice a nice difference from the WSM? Playing with fire does intrigue me but I have visions of dancing brisket in my head coming off the offset that will wow people.

I really caught the bug after watching Aaron franklin's you tube videos. Looks to me he is just using a old country offset. Nothing to fancy. I hear reverse flow is the best way to go.

I will only use this for backyard family bbq. Couple a butts, a brisket or 2, chicken, ribs. So most patio models will suit me. I guess I have a budget around a $1000 but if I can get a decent unit for half that I'd jump on it. I'm starting to ramble so on to the discussion!

I think anyone who has used or uses a stick burner can taste the difference but I don't think most other people can. To me, nothing tastes better than cooking with wood.

Definitely get a stick burner and Get the largest one you can afford because after a couple of months you will want a larger one.

Hold on to your WSM because it is nice to have a set it and forget type unit. You need to keep your eye on a stick burner.

From Baton Rouge, you aren't far from the Houston pit builders...might check them out as well.

You might be hard pressed to get one of decent size for $1000 unless you go with an Old Country unit from Academy or talk to a custom builder and make some compromises on features or plate thickness, or a combination of both. I spend near that on Earl (linked below in my sig) by doing exactly that.

I think there is a bit of a difference in taste between the two... especially if you don't have a hot enough fire in the stick burner, you get a bitter taste pretty much regardless of wood choice. I think with your budget, you'll be out of the cheap offset market but either be pretty small or just barely into quailty and you likely won't find a reverse flow for that money. you'll have bigger temp swings from one end of the grill to the other and you'll likely be tending the fire at least every hour. (i've heard higher end ones are better fire tending but nothing like your WSM is capable of with charcoal)

that might sound pretty negative but i really do love my offset... you'l obviously have more food capacity and you could still burn charcoal and make a charcoal basket to get longer burn times. I think cooking with straight raw wood takes some practice, but once you've got it, i think the taste is better than what i've had food i've had cooked on bullet type smokers.

I've never owned or used a WSM so any of the positive i know about them come from my friends that have them or the internet so take all this for what it's worth

I can spend more if I needed too. I'm not sure if I wanna jump in with both feet and buy once cry once or just get something in between. Who is close that wants to sell me a lang 36 or comparable sized Shirley? I know someone out there wants to upgrade to a bigger cooker! :-D

I think the flavor is different. Not necessarily better, but different. And different in a great way. So if you are basing your decision on whether or not to get a stick burner solely on the flavor difference that is my answer. But wait there's more!!

I love my stick burner for the process that is involved from cooking on it. It is so much different than all my other smokers. I cook on more set it and forget it smokers all the time so the break in pattern is really enjoyable. I didn't think I would like tending a pit before I got it, but having to add wood every 45mins isn't hard and playing with fire is fun.

So think of the other things that may be enjoyable about the smoker. Or they might not be enjoyable depending on the person. If you are going to get it with the hopes that your friends/family will tell you it is the best bbq they've ever tasted....well they probably say that already since that is what most of them say anyways :-D.

I agree with fnbish. I doubt anyone you serve will tell you that the taste is superior to the wsm. I have a COS. One day this fall provided me a really enjoyable and memorable day. Tending fire, having a beer and sitting around the cooker with my son was great. The COS paid for itself that day alone.

Call and talk to Paul at Shirley Fab, he is a great guy and will get you what you want. I love our patio, it is perfect size for the backyard. It is easy to maintain a good clean fire and I too like the break from the Set it and forget cookers I have. Although the FEC's produce some great BBQ too. The warmer with the slide options to feed the fire directly from the fire box or through the chamber really gives you two cookers in one.

You are close enough to pick up the SF, that shipping will kill you. But come on, this is a great looking cooker.

I started on a wsm and purchased a cost effective offset. I definitely notice and prefer the difference of a clean burning all wood cook. I have a ok joe longhorn, it in the $500 new price range. You can buy a capable smoker in that range and they are definitely a step up from the under $200 cos.

I personally think that there's a very recognizable difference in taste in Q cooked with strait wood as apposed to Q cooked with charcoal. Of course I'm a little biased having cooked primarily on stick burners all my life and growing up in a part of the country where BBQ is part of it's culture but I personally think that stick burners give the best flavor.:grin:
I think that if you were to count the legendary Q joints, not just in my state of Texas but around the country that cook with some variation of stick burner and compare that number to the amount that operate some sort of charcoal cooker you'll see a very lopsided comparison in favor of those with stick burners,...there's probably a good reason for that.:wink:

I agree about the taste difference.
I have used WSM's, cookshack's and Primo's for years with great results.
I too, am having Paul built me an offset and am really looking forward to it!

I just wanted to chime in about the Old Country pits. The less expensive pits, the pecos and the other smaller one, are no longer listed.(Academy) They list only the Angus, Brazos, and over and under. The O/U has the 499 price point, but the other two are 1000.00 and up.

Good luck on your quest. The Brazos would be a great pit, or, if ya got time and would go over the 1000.00 ceiling like you mentioned, order from Shirley or East Texas, or Lang. Happy hunting!

I just wanted to chime in about the Old Country pits. The less expensive pits, the pecos and the other smaller one, are no longer listed.(Academy) They list only the Angus, Brazos, and over and under. The O/U has the 499 price point, but the other two are 1000.00 and up.

Good luck on your quest. The Brazos would be a great pit, or, if ya got time and would go over the 1000.00 ceiling like you mentioned, order from Shirley or East Texas, or Lang. Happy hunting!
Old Country are good cookers to learn stick burning with. They're well made (thick steel) and won't put you in the poor house.:thumb:

I just talked with Paul and I'm going to ride to Tuscaloosa next week to order a patio model. He's very affable and helpful on the phone. I looked at the Lone Star also and like it as well, but I think I'll like the reverse flow better than the tuning plates. Both are about twice the money you want to spend but leaving the heating oven off the Shirley will get you within $500.00 and picking up in Alabama will save me $437.00 shipping. Good luck with your choice!

@toys4dlr...That is a good looking smoker!

i have a friend that cooked on all wood and i used charcoal and wood.i loved the all wood better.i shopped for months before i talked the wife into letting me get the shirley pit.i would go on the shirley fab facebook page and look at the pics and vids.paul is a jam up person to deal with.call him and see what he can do for you.he can cut that 24 inch steel pipe to fit any budget.

I just talked with Paul and I'm going to ride to Tuscaloosa next week to order a patio model. He's very affable and helpful on the phone. I looked at the Lone Star also and like it as well, but I think I'll like the reverse flow better than the tuning plates. Both are about twice the money you want to spend but leaving the heating oven off the Shirley will get you within $500.00 and picking up in Alabama will save me $437.00 shipping. Good luck with your choice!

@toys4dlr...That is a good looking smoker!

This ^^^

Either Shirley or Lone Star. I went with Lone Star becuase I wanted tuning plates instead of reverse flow, opposite of Smoke:becky:. If I was to go reverse flow I would've went with Shirley. Simple!

P.S.

Can't beat the stick burner flavor. It's second to none for me.

Lets debate reverse flow vs offset a little. What are the pros and cons of each? I know reverse flow evens out the temps and lessens any hot spots. But the offset must have some pros too or they wouldn't make them.

Back