THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gore

Phizzy
Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis
Name or Nickame
Gore (surprise!)
The last several months I've been drooling when I pass through Costco. They've started carrying pork belly: whole and packages of sliced. I wasn't ready to commit myself to a whole one, but I thought it would be fun to play with the slices. Heck, who doesn't like really thick bacon? :noidea: There also was enough for me to play around. So, I'll tell you what I recommend and then a few variations. Also, I'm always looking for the simplest method of skinning a cat, so I emphasize that this guide is for idiots: even I can follow it.

1. Basic cure: 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tsps. of pink curing salt (you can find this on Amazon), some chili powder, cayenne, paprika to taste. I mixed the ingredients in a bowl. I grabbed a large ziploc bag, put a layer in, added a layer of sliced belly, coated the other side, then another layer of belly, etc. I closed up the bag and put in the fridge. Every day or two (when I can remember :roll:), I turn the bag over and give it a swish. You will notice a fair bit of liquid in the bag. Sorry, I didn't get any pictures of this, but I was a bit lazy. Essentially, imagine a ziploc bag filled with thick raw bacon strips in the fridge next to a carton of cream, two ribeye steaks and a Spanish jamon that I haven't sliced up yet. Note that clean-up was trivial as everything is done in a ziploc bag.

2. Preparation: Rinse the belly. If you don't rinse it, you'd better be a salt lover. I used that same ziploc, poured off the juices. I don't recommend drinking them, although I do have a friend who thinks that's the best part. Anyway, fill the bag up a few times with cold water, swish and empty. I then filled it up and laid it on the counter while I made the fire (see step 3).

IMG_20161002_154703.jpg

Hey, looky there, a picture! When you're ready to go, take those slices out and pat them dry with a paper towel.

IMG_20161002_155000.jpg

Then lay them out

IMG_20161002_155322.jpg

Note the nice tray and the frogmat. I got these trays on Amazon. I think they were about $10 and they're great for hauling meat back and forth to the grill. They're also lightweight, which is important. I have some other ones that are too heavy. I also love the frogmats. :thumb:

3. Your fire: I lit the smoker, got it up around 200* and put a chunk of wood in there. I thought I had hickory, but it wasn't hickory. It stank. I think it might have been mulberry. Anyway, I took it out and threw it in the fire pit and put a chunk of cherry in the smoker. You don't need to do all that if you get some good wood in there from the start. :thumb: Heck, you can probably do this better without my advice. :roll:

4. I then put the belly in the smoker and went for a walk in the park for a couple hours. Probably you don't need to do that, but you might want to watch football or do some yardwork. I let the temp creep up around 300* because I also wanted these cooked and not just smoked.

IMG_20161002_194920.jpg

5. These probably would be fine to take off now, but I just let them cook and get a bit crispier, 'cause that's how my family like their bacon.

IMG_20161002_200635.jpg

IMG_20161002_203826.jpg

IMG_20160925_212408.jpg

This didn't last long.

Variation 1: I tried a small batch after only curing for two days. This was virtually indistinguishable from the batch after 9 days curing. Of course we ate it right away, so the cure was only for flavor.

Variation 2: We took some of the raw pork belly and simply cooked it over a campfire. This was quite fun.

IMG_20160925_211238.jpg

Def nice lookin pan pan( what my daughter called bacon as a baby). And that rinse thing, oh yeah, don't axe me how I know.

This is great stuff!

Love the thicker stuff. When we lived in East Cambridgeshire, UK, we came upon a "bacon steak" in our local pub. It was basically 3/4" sliced bacon cooked up as a steak, and was phenomenal with a couple of eggs over-easy and some chips. Never seen it since.

I'd be really interested in curing my own (pork) belly and trying to make a "bacon steak" again here in the US.

Appreciate the recipe and tutorial.

Thanks for the guide Gore. I'm an idiot and I could follow it so it was well written.

I bet two or three slices of that on a nice hoagie roll with assorted condiments would be freakin outstanding.

OOoo! OOoo! Or on top of a burger! Fark me runnin'!

Looks tasty, the sliced belly gets loaded in lots of Asian trolleys here.
I assume they are doing Korean style or something similar.
must try your fire trick, I hate marshmallows.

Heck that looks pretty darn good - Can you give more details on variation 2?

There is a quote attributed to Albert Einstein commonly given as “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Unfortunately,@Gore's recipe for cure fails this test, as it is far too simple to be safe.

First, cure recipes depend on the amount of meat (+ liquid) to be cured. So, for example, the quantity (weight, not volume) of cure #1 is usually specified as 0.25% of the total weight of the meat and any water used in the cure.

Second, cure #2 contains nitrates in addition to the nitrites also included in cure #1. Cure #2 is used for sausages and meats that are dried and stored for a long time. The nitrate slowly converts into nitrite, which is what keeps the botulism bugs at bay. It is not necessary in bacon, though I don't know that it is harmful.

There are many places with good information on cures out there. Unfortunately, this thread is not one of them. Look for the phrase "equilibrium cure." IAmMadMan has a number of posts here where he explains this stuff in excellent detail.

Man that looks good. I have nothing to add on the process, but I went to arby's yesterday craving a meaty sandwich. I got the new pork belly sandwich. I normally don't eat arby's but that meat was pretty darn good! This reminded me of it.

Now I have to order some pork belly!

There is a quote attributed to Albert Einstein commonly given as “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Unfortunately,@Gore's recipe for cure fails this test, as it is far too simple to be safe.

First, cure recipes depend on the amount of meat (+ liquid) to be cured. So, for example, the quantity (weight, not volume) of cure #1 is usually specified as 0.25% of the total weight of the meat and any water used in the cure.

Second, cure #2 contains nitrates in addition to the nitrites also included in cure #1. Cure #2 is used for sausages and meats that are dried and stored for a long time. The nitrate slowly converts into nitrite, which is what keeps the botulism bugs at bay. It is not necessary in bacon, though I don't know that it is harmful.

There are many places with good information on cures out there. Unfortunately, this thread is not one of them. Look for the phrase "equilibrium cure." IAmMadMan has a number of posts here where he explains this stuff in excellent detail.

Thanks for the information. I naively just did a few searches on the internet for bacon cures. Several of them had approximately these quantities of salt/sugar/pink salt. The packages of my Costco were all about 3 lbs, so I used the quantities I did.

For instance, Steve Raichlan's BBQ Bible uses 1/3 cup of salt, 2 tsps. pink salt and 1/3 cup of brown sugar for 4-5 lbs. of pork belly:
http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/made-scratch-bacon/

Michael Symon (Food Network) uses 1/4 cup salt, 2 tsps. pink salt (optional) and 1/4 cup of brown sugar for 5 lbs. of pork belly:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/homemade-bacon.html

I am actually using a larger concentration of salts than either of these sources(!) It would be a strange thing if both of these sources were peddling unsafe recipes, and I would expect that people would be dropping like flies and lawsuits would flourish.

A couple other minor notes to consider:
Pink salts are optional in many recipes. People have been curing meats for centuries without using pink salts, simply using sea salt. In my experiences in Spain, homemade chorizo is cured simply with salt and red pepper. In the Arctic, where salt is scarce, I watched natives cure meat solely with smoke, which has curative properties. I only used the pink salts because I was given a jar and thought I'd see what the flavor was like.

Also, I am not applying the cure in this case as a preservative, but for flavoring. Historically, cures were applied to keep food safe for extended periods. Now, they are used for flavoring and most people find traditional cures WAY too salty. Cured "Nova Salmon" that has largely replaced lox is an example. This stuff is not going to be in my refrigerator for a month. It's not even going to be in there for a couple of days.

Def nice lookin pan pan( what my daughter called bacon as a baby). And that rinse thing, oh yeah, don't axe me how I know.

Oh yeah, I think we've all done gone a bit light on that rinse thing one time. We don't need to ask you how you know. :roll:

This is great stuff!

Love the thicker stuff. When we lived in East Cambridgeshire, UK, we came upon a "bacon steak" in our local pub. It was basically 3/4" sliced bacon cooked up as a steak, and was phenomenal with a couple of eggs over-easy and some chips. Never seen it since.

I'd be really interested in curing my own (pork) belly and trying to make a "bacon steak" again here in the US.

Appreciate the recipe and tutorial.

They have some great "bacon" in the UK. I'd even come to enjoy it boiled. :shock:

Thanks for the guide Gore. I'm an idiot and I could follow it so it was well written.

I bet two or three slices of that on a nice hoagie roll with assorted condiments would be freakin outstanding.

OOoo! OOoo! Or on top of a burger! Fark me runnin'!

Yeah, a couple slices on a roll was one of the evening snacks. :hungry:

Looks tasty, the sliced belly gets loaded in lots of Asian trolleys here.
I assume they are doing Korean style or something similar.
must try your fire trick, I hate marshmallows.

I also never liked marshmallows and usually went for meat on a stick instead.

Love me some!

This would be good for your set-up to try. I can imagine your team doing pork belly.

Heck that looks pretty darn good - Can you give more details on variation 2?

First time I really had pork belly that wasn't bacon was camping in the Czech Republic. They just opened a package of belly, but it into squares, put it on sticks and roasted it over a fire. It was fabulous. I've since had it seasoned with spices, but I think after a couple days in the cure would be even better.

Man that looks good. I have nothing to add on the process, but I went to arby's yesterday craving a meaty sandwich. I got the new pork belly sandwich. I normally don't eat arby's but that meat was pretty darn good! This reminded me of it.

Now I have to order some pork belly!

Wow, never knew Arby's was doing this. I don't know if I could eat Arby's anymore: I've eaten so many in college. I'll have to try this if I end up inside one.

Good stuff!

I've got a couple whole bellies in my freezer, you've inspired me to start thawing one.

Sounds like I better stock up as I get the feeling the price is going to go up after your post. :tsk:

That's some tasty looking eats, Gore! This marks your 3rd cook thread this year - hope you'll be posting more soon!

Given the cooking method Gore used, this information irrelevant.

Given the cooking method Gore used, this information irrelevant.
As you like. The fact that he is not dead is not proof that the "Basic Cure" recipe will be safe or effective for others. The big problem with it is that no quantity of meat is stated. Someone deciding to try it with a half pound of belly as an experiment would be using 10X too much cure. Someone curing a full belly (my last two were 13# and 11#) would be using too little cure by half or more.

But, hey, just because nitrites can be toxic in high concentrations is no reason to be careful with them. And just because the little clostridium botulinum bugs and spores won't be killed if the cure concentration is too low, there's no reason to worry. Real men don't worry about food safety anyway.

Actually, there is an argument that for bacon no cure is necessary because the high cooking heat kills the bacteria and the spores and it destroys the toxin. But that is not an argument for being sloppy or ignorant when curing. The point of my post was simply to warn people who might take the cure recipe as gospel. I have no interest in arguing the point further.

As you like. The fact that he is not dead is not proof that the "Basic Cure" recipe will be safe or effective for others. The big problem with it is that no quantity of meat is stated. Someone deciding to try it with a half pound of belly as an experiment would be using 10X too much cure. Someone curing a full belly (my last two were 13# and 11#) would be using too little cure by half or more.

But, hey, just because nitrites can be toxic in high concentrations is no reason to be careful with them. And just because the little clostridium botulinum bugs and spores won't be killed if the cure concentration is too low, there's no reason to worry. Real men don't worry about food safety anyway.

Actually, there is an argument that for bacon no cure is necessary because the high cooking heat kills the bacteria and the spores and it destroys the toxin. But that is not an argument for being sloppy or ignorant when curing. The point of my post was simply to warn people who might take the cure recipe as gospel. I have no interest in arguing the point further.

I agree with you completely that I was negligent in not listing the weight of the pork belly. This was definitely an oversight, and I am an idiot. I did, however, state that this was a package of pre-sliced belly that many here have seen at Costco, which many people have posted about previously. I don't think anyone will be lead too far astray, and I am truly sorry that you were.

I don't think you're going to convince anyone that they risk getting botulism poisoning eating a bacon slice cooked a few hours between 200* and 300*. If that were the case, we'd all be dead. I take it from your posts that you only eat your steaks well-done. :laugh:

That's some tasty looking eats, Gore! This marks your 3rd cook thread this year - hope you'll be posting more soon!

Thanks Moose, that is three too many apparently. I'm going to stop posting before anyone dies. I'm surprised my Q-Talk threads haven't been bumped over to N&P yet.

Given the cooking method Gore used, this information is irrelevant.

Thanks, Greg. I guess I should have stressed that this was not a recipe for preservation, but for more rapid consumption.

Back