THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thought I would start up this thread again...

And yes I still hate Chicken...

This weekend at the GAB we got a 18th place call in the Invitational, but got 122nd in the open..Same recipe.

I now cook my chicken on a CS-450 and really like how it comes out...We usually cook in skin side down for about an hour at 275, then skin side up for another 45 or until it gets around 175, then baste...Comes out looking and tasting good, but just wish it was a little more juicy.

Am I not cooking it hot enough and for too long? Should I take it off when it reads 165?

I like our recipe, but just trying to tweak the process....

Thanks..J

If I were to give ya advice, it would be the equivalent of Kevin Keitzman telling Bob Stoops how to win the Big 12.

Thanks and I'll listen off the air as we're also using a CS for chicken.

If I were to give ya advice, it would be the equivalent of Kevin Keitzman telling Bob Stoops how to win the Big 12.

Thanks and I'll listen off the air as we're also using a CS for chicken.

Hey maybe we'll both learn something then!!

This weekend at the GAB we got a 18th place call in the Invitational, but got 122nd in the open..Same recipe.

I now cook my chicken on a CS-450 and really like how it comes out...We usually cook in skin side down for about an hour at 275, then skin side up for another 45 or until it gets around 175, then baste...Comes out looking and tasting good, but just wish it was a little more juicy.

Am I not cooking it hot enough and for too long? Should I take it off when it reads 165?

Thanks..J
I think you answered your own question... I usually pull mine around 165.

Thanks..J

Are you brining or injecting with an enhanced solution (i.e., Fab)? Those will make your chicken more juicy. Also, try the magic blue bottle.

We've done well turning in thighs cooked to 170-185 at contests so i think your temps are just fine.

I think the forced convection in the CS cookers can dry meat out if you're not careful. We use ours for ribs which spend a lot of time in foil.

Paul,

We are not brining or injecting with FAB, just marinading...I've done a lot of chicken in the CS and it really doesn't come out dry, but it's not overly juicey either...

Jeff- I don't inject either... But we do brine. I think you are cooking them too long... I try and pull them when they reach 160-165 and carry over will finish them... Not that I can teach you anything about cooking Q...

Jeff- I don't inject either... But we do brine. I think you are cooking them too long... I try and pull them when they reach 160-165 and carry over will finish them... Not that I can teach you anything about cooking Q...

I don't think you were next to us this last weekend...I think you might be talking about KC Can Crew and Jeff Spurgeon...

But thanks for the advice...Jeff

Paul,

We are not brining or injecting with FAB, just marinading...I've done a lot of chicken in the CS and it really doesn't come out dry, but it's not overly juicey either...

Brining, Fab, or a Parkay bath will all make your final product juicier if that is what you want to achieve.

Cooking to a lower temperature might actually create less juice and internal moisture as the fat may not completely render.

Well I think that is just one of many things we are trying to achieve..:)

Thanks for the help Paul!

I always wonder why people use parkay instead of real butter? I think parkay is gross.

Probably because it doesn't solidify when it cools (assuming they are using the liquid form that i've seen at a lot of contests). By itself or on something where its taste is dominant, I agree its gross. I think the majority of people use it for its cooking properties (a liquid fat), and on BBQ, the taste is easily masked. That arguement isn't completely sound though, because wouldn't a neutral tasting vegetable oil do the same thing?

I always wonder why people use parkay instead of real butter? I think parkay is gross.

I don't know the roots of using Parkay in BBQ contests. But I do know that BBQ sauce sticks better to margerine than it does to butter.

I don't know the roots of using Parkay in BBQ contests. But I do know that BBQ sauce sticks better to margerine than it does to butter.

That is the first time I have heard it articulated that way. Thank you Paul!
That's the first time I've heard that too...

All I know is that the next comp determines if I really hate chicken or not... Last comp was a 4th, if I can bring it up, I may actually have to like chicken..:eek:

Back