THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice rig brother. That thing is going to make you some great food. You don't have to use a Guru to run it but you might have to unscrew the bushing and adapter to get enough air flow. Kevin would be able to answer about that.

I have 4 fire bricks in my waterpan, no problem

Yes, with out a temp controller. Remove the adapter

Thanks for the advice fellas. I actually did run it with the adapter on and it seemed ok but I'm betting the draft might be stronger w/o it.

Ah it's like Christmas all over again!! Nice looking unit, I like the colors. As you saw my first cook was yesterday. I couldn't get it to come up to temp and one quick email to Kevin that said call him and all was well. I used a charcoal maze not knowing those are only for using with a pit fan. Removed the maze and presto, up to temp in no time. I removed the Guru adaptor and the 2" reducer so the ball valve is the only thing on it. Kevin also recommended not adding water to the pan until it hits 170*.
Good luck today, you're going to love it!

Congratulations.... Awesome smoker Brother....
Thank you Madman! Part of my decision was based on the great info you've posted about your Humphreys.

Congrats! That looks like a great size for your needs!
Thanks Ron! I think it will work well.

Ah it's like Christmas all over again!! Nice looking unit, I like the colors. As you saw my first cook was yesterday. I couldn't get it to come up to temp and one quick email to Kevin that said call him and all was well. I used a charcoal maze not knowing those are only for using with a pit fan. Removed the maze and presto, up to temp in no time. I removed the Guru adaptor and the 2" reducer so the ball valve is the only thing on it. Kevin also recommended not adding water to the pan until it hits 170*.
Good luck today, you're going to love it!

Yup! It was like opening a giant present. I didn't order the maze because of the size of this thing. It's pretty small so minion I think will work well. Especially since I'm runnin no fans. I may have to remove the reducer as well.

Porky

The pork turned out pretty good!! The texture was perfect decent amount of smoke. I didn't pan with a rack so my bark wasn't great but I'll get the right racks for it next time.

Here's the results:

I made some pico so I decided to try and replicate a dish I get for lunch sometimes at work. There's a place called Mexicue that serves tacos burritos and bowls using pulled pork, chicken or burnt ends chili. I love the Bbq rice bowl with pork.
They make a creamy chipotle sauce so I tried to create that. A little chipotle pepper sauce mixed mayo, sour cream, Bbq sauce and a little salt pepper and garlic powder. I love the stuff. I should've taken pics of the assembly but I was hungry. Sorry!

Started with yellow rice
Black beans on top of that
Pulled pork
Pico
Shredded White cheddar
Chipotle sauce
And I didn't have any tortilla strips so I used crushed Tostitos.

It came out pretty close! Just needed some cilantro but I was out.

I really enjoyed using the Humphreys. It's pretty set it and forget it.

Thanks for checking out the first cook!

-John

Back