THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought the Big Easy right before Thanksgiving to fry a turkey. Everyone liked the turkey better than oil fried. To me, the leftover turkey was better also without being greasy. Skin was good and crispy. I have done four chickens in it since then also and they also turned out perfect! I am so impressed with the Big Easy that I got my Dad one for Christmas. Not sure if it will turn him from smoking his turkeys, which I actually hope it doesn't. I got it for him mainly for a healthy quick way for chicken. I have a turkey going in the Big Easy in the morning and I'll try to remember to get a few pics to post here.

Not sure if this has been mentioned...

I bought a cake ring (I said "cake"). 9" x2" and sit it in the bottom. This allows me to put wood chips/pellets up against the internal wall and add some smoke flavor. I don't put the bird in until the smoke starts (about 20 minutes).

It also raises the the basket up a bit and put the bird in the sweet spot for cooking.

Duuude!!
Why didn't I think of that first?
:eusa_clap

I bought a cake ring (I said "cake"). 9" x2" and sit it in the bottom. This allows me to put wood chips/pellets up against the internal wall and add some smoke flavor. I don't put the bird in until the smoke starts (about 20 minutes).

It also raises the the basket up a bit and put the bird in the sweet spot for cooking.

Pictures of this please!:thumb:

I finally bit the bullet. Just ordered a TBE from Lowes for $89 and three of the bunk bed baskets at $5 each. I'll pick it up tomorrow with a mess of wings and drums for the first cook. I know the basket can fit two of the bunk beds, but I got s third to see if it's workable for low profile foods.

I finally bit the bullet. Just ordered a TBE from Lowes for $89 and three of the bunk bed baskets at $5 each. I'll pick it up tomorrow with a mess of wings and drums for the first cook. I know the basket can fit two of the bunk beds, but I got s third to see if it's workable for low profile foods.

Very cool. Please post pic's when you can.

What is the basket like that it comes with? Trying to figure out what else I'd need to buy to do chicken wings or thighs without doing one layer at a time.

I'm doing three layers of wings (17 wings) right now with two of the bunk bed baskets, but I think I have a better solution on the way. I ordered the hinged basket and five pairs of the leg racks. My plan is to use the leg half-racks to provide six full racks when the hinged basket is closed (five shelves plus the bottom). With 6 full wings per rack that should let me do 36 wings at a time. If you're cooking wing pieces (separated without the tips) you should be able to get 14-15 pieces per rack.

After reading all this, I had to try it. It is seasoning now and plan to cook a bird on Sunday. I just have the basic stuff in the box for now. What do you use to raise the basket up an inch or two. Need some recommendations from something most people generally have around the house.

After reading all this, I had to try it. It is seasoning now and plan to cook a bird on Sunday. I just have the basic stuff in the box for now. What do you use to raise the basket up an inch or two. Need some recommendations from something most people generally have around the house.

Just saw your question Estol. A small biscuit pan turned upside down inside the basket. It needs to be heat resistant and not painted or put off any fumes. You could also make something from expanded metal and set the whole basket up.

Anyone else have an idea? I use the extra shelf I bought.

Thanks for for the info Toast, but I have ordered accessories since then. Went ahead and cooked 1ST Turkey without raising it up and breast temps. probed 160 and 170. Let the 160 side come up to 170 but the legs were around 140. Maybe the more seasoned it gets the better it will cook plus raising the bird next time.

Bringing this one back out for any new TBE owners. New users check out the first few pages of the thread. I'll be posting my TBE turkey cooks in the next 2 months. Hoping other TBE users post too.

14xcuxk.jpg

Alright Mike,

School me on this because I did test chickens on mine but I absolutely hated the taste. Hated to the inedible point.

I seasoned the cooker first as per your instruction and the manual

zo4j6sSh.jpg

Bought this for easier clean up

v0wEYsah.jpg

Rubbed one with LNB Chicken and the other with LNB and Aw Sh*t

0PwCYbgh.jpg

y2dapmdh.jpg

Lined the bottom with foil for easy clean up after

SOat4tlh.jpg

Put them in

7AM35Leh.jpg

KoHwZFVh.jpg

EG8fDA0h.jpg

Walked like a duck, talked like a duck but it sure wasn't. It had a horrible off taste. Almost like you could taste the propane. I had to toss the second bird because it was so bad. Only thing I like was that the skin was super crispy. I just went and bought my peanut oil because I'm deep frying again.

nEdmKa3h.jpg

What do you think?? Did I screw up bad somewhere? :noidea:

I've used this a bunch of times for wings and it's worked great. Doing my first turkey tomorrow as a test run before next Thursday's family gathering. I hope it turns out as well as I hear they do. The bird's brining now.

ssv3,
I see a few of things there Brother.

1. Over cooked. Did you have a thermometer deep in the breast and pull at 165*F?

2. How long did you leave the lid on? It's supposed to be used for browning only. I start the cook with lid on then remove at desired brown ness.

3. The bird should be elevated at least 2" from the bottom as it does not cook as well.

4. You said propane taste. How full was your tank and what was the outdoor air temp you were cooking at? The peep holes around the top should show a pretty blue flame all the way around otherwise you have incomplete combustion. It really should not matter with TBE though because the flame or vapors never see the meat.

5. I also wonder if the foil's reflective properties interfered with the IR cooking process.

Back