THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks to Baby Back Maniac.....I tried this out this past weekend. Did 2 chuck roasts (1.79 lbs. total) and 3 (injected) chicken breast. I'm hooked! I cooked on the top rack......used 10-15 Kingsford briquets and one mini log (split).....I hit it with the weed burner for about 3-4 minutes. I left the door off the entire time. Chicken breast were done slightly ahead of the chuck roasts. But I wrapped them both at the same time after 30-35 minutes. Closed the door and put the lid on. I think I took the meat off the WSM after about 45-50 minutes. They both came out EXCELLENT! I think I'm going to upgrade to a 55 gallon drum. :-D

Thanks to Baby Back Maniac.....I tried this out this past weekend. Did 2 chuck roasts (1.79 lbs. total) and 3 (injected) chicken breast. I'm hooked! I cooked on the top rack......used 10-15 Kingsford briquets and one mini log (split).....I hit it with the weed burner for about 3-4 minutes. I left the door off the entire time. Chicken breast were done slightly ahead of the chuck roasts. But I wrapped them both at the same time after 30-35 minutes. Closed the door and put the lid on. I think I took the meat off the WSM after about 45-50 minutes. They both came out EXCELLENT! I think I'm going to upgrade to a 55 gallon drum. :-D

I just saw this. That’s awesome, man. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

I just saw this. That’s awesome, man. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

You just saved me between $800-$1200 (for now anyway :clap2:) on buying a Santa Maria grill. A 55 gallon UDS with a 2nd/3rd rack height is waaaaay cheaper. I won't mind having to move the grates to different heights, instead of turning a wheel to do so.

You just saved me between $800-$1200 (for now anyway :clap2:) on buying a Santa Maria grill. A 55 gallon UDS with a 2nd/3rd rack height is waaaaay cheaper. I won't mind having to move the grates to different heights, instead of turning a wheel to do so.

Yeah, moving the grates is really no big deal on small cooks. I think where you'd miss that feature is if you are cooking for a lot of people and want to do 10 tri-tips or chicken leg quarters at once. It would be cool to have the real deal but I like not adding to "the herd." I'm also wondering if an actual SM grill would even last here during the spring. I've never had a grill where the steel cooking grates aren't enclosed in a greasy grill. They probably have covers or something though.

I hear ya on 'adding to the herd'. Another 'cheap' 55 gallon drum can blend in with my others.... waaaay better than a $800 Santa Maria grill would. :hand: The drum could virtually go undetected and unsuspected.:-D The beauty of doing SM style is it can be a fairly quick cook. It can satisfy the need to play with fire and get a quick meal, and doesn't require you to spend hours doing it.....sort of a happy medium. It's basically grilling....but at a slower pace. I never feel 'fulfilled' whenever I grill, because I don't feel like I have been out there long enough. (only 1 beers worth :icon_blush:)

I don't have a WSM to experiment on so I'm on the Mod a 55 gallon drum side too.

Will say this- if I could stumble on a nice cheap stash of Stainless 3/4" x 1/8" angle- I'd do a smallish Santa Maria with an Argentinian V Grate in a heart beat.

Heck- carbon 3/4" is pretty cheap- if I keep it greased...maybe it'd last. May do one for the hell of it- sort of like the Gabby's- but with a square frame.

Never used the method to replicate a SMG but began using the WSM as a stick burner last spring...fabbed a 12x12 fire basket and leave the ring out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244791

Ah, very cool. Thanks for the link. I figured I could not have possibly been the first one to think of something like this. seems so obvious now that I look at it. Why the square firebox instead of the fire ring?

Back