THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I guess I am the opposite of the group... Once I saw how difficult it was to access the auger on my Broil King Regal I've been paranoid about getting a jam so I empty all pellets and burn out the rest on each cook (1-2 per week).

Consequentially, and since there is no prime function, it takes much longer to come up to temp and sometimes shuts off after 40 mins if it doesn't make it to 180 which is a bit annoying.

I think I need to relax a bit and trust the knowledge here that is usually spot on!

I've never seen or heard of a pellet jam caused by high humidity alone. In every case I know of it's been actual water. Keep water away from your pellets and you should be fine. At least that's my experience, including a couple of years running a USA-made Traeger down in central Georgia.

I've had several pellet grills over the past decade and have burned though well over a ton of pellets, maybe 2-3 tons. I've only emptied a hopper to fix something, to change flavors, or if I was having problems getting high temps and thought the pellets might be the issue. I rarely ever drain to change flavors anymore, I just use what's in there and pour another kind in on top of them when it gets low.

However, I have a covered patio and never go more than 2-3 weeks without using mine. Usually it gets used multiple times a week. If I knew it wasn't going to be used for a month plus, I might drain it just to be safe, but have no reason to believe it would be a problem.

I’ve left mine out in the rain for the past couple of weeks. Fired it up this past weekend, and the pellets were dry and ready to go. It was about half a hopper full and. I just added more to make sure I had enough for a 15 hour cook. Everything worked fine and the pellets didn’t have any problems. As long as rain can’t get in, you should be good. I don’t have a cover yet, and may not get one.

I roll the pellet grill in and out o the garage so mine is never exposed to the elements of the weather.
That said I never empty the hopper for that reason.

For best smoke flavor, be sure your pellets' moisture content measures between 19.5% and 19.7%. The easiest way to do this is to test each pellet using a meter with certified calibration traceable to NBS or CEN standards. This adds a little extra time to each cook, but it will take your BBQ to a whole new level.

I would say that it depends on your cooker. I never empty pellets. My FEC-100 lives under a covered patio and my hopper lid is very tight, the hopper chamber itself is welded on all sides so no exposure to the elements.

For best smoke flavor, be sure your pellets' moisture content measures between 19.5% and 19.7%. The easiest way to do this is to test each pellet using a meter with certified calibration traceable to NBS or CEN standards. This adds a little extra time to each cook, but it will take your BBQ to a whole new level.

I’m calling BS, or you would have linked to one o’ them there fancy meters...:becky:

The only way I empty mine is by burning through them. I use my MAK several times a week. Never had a problem. It sits on a covered patio.

Back