THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
The only reason I'm wanting to build one is for occasional small cooks where I would rather not fire up the offset. I also thought that the UDS would require less fuel than the offset (that's now in question). Are these two assumptions correct and if so is it worth building a UDS.
Along these lines, could a 22 inch diameter drum be used on top of the lower half of a 22inch Weber kettle, kind of like and extension tube, instead of the UDS having its own fire basket? This would place the cook rack(s) farther from the direct heat. When not in use, you would only have to store the extension in virtually any position at all. Thanks for any input.

Why not just smoke on the Weber for small cooks?
For one, I insist on using wood for smoking, for an other, I do not think smoking so close to the heat source (i.e. the grate) would produce the taste I'm getting from the offset that I have come to like.

Of course the brethren are going to say build a UDS. But if all you want is a greater distance of your food from the WSM heat source, just buy another body component, or a used WSM for that part, and make a taller version of it. Someone sold one on here a while back that was constructed that way and it looked awesome.

Of course the brethren are going to say build a UDS. But if all you want is a greater distance of your food from the WSM heat source, just buy another body component, or a used WSM for that part, and make a taller version of it. Someone sold one on here a while back that was constructed that way and it looked awesome.
Not familiar with what WSM or body component is out there that would do the job. How would a second (used, possibly) WSM work to do what I'm suggesting.

I do not believe you would have enough airflow on a wsm (Weber Smokey Mountain) to burn pure wood. Not enough airflow. An added body section (height) would get more distance between fire and food.
If you want to build a UDS with a door for access to add wood/burn pure wood. A Weber lid again does not have enough exhaust to burn pure wood.
In my experience.
I do burn pure wood on my UDS, which is now my stubby UDS ( shorter version). I also have a raised ring that I can smoke at 250* burning pure wood with fire management (split size etc).
What are your requirements?

I would build the UDS just because they are pretty inexpensive to build and fun to cook with. FWIW my latest acquisition is a Shirley but I have no intentions of parting with my UDS.

I do not believe you would have enough airflow on a wsm (Weber Smokey Mountain) to burn pure wood. Not enough airflow. An added body section (height) would get more distance between fire and food.
If you want to build a UDS with a door for access to add wood/burn pure wood. A Weber lid again does not have enough exhaust to burn pure wood.
In my experience.
I do burn pure wood on my UDS, which is now my stubby UDS ( shorter version). I also have a raised ring that I can smoke at 250* burning pure wood with fire management (split size etc).
What are your requirements?
I agree with the air flow problem. there are ways I think I could remedy that.

I am a die hard stick burner. But I did build a UDS just because, and I really enjoy it. I don't believe it produces quite a good a product as my offset. But I have really liked being able to come home at lunch put something on and having it done by dinner while I'm back at work. If I were you I would build the uds and burn lump with wood chunks. It's still wood.

Thanks for all the responses. Spent the last hour or so watching various videos on building the UDS. I am now cured. Given the opinions expressed here and the mess and sweat to build, I will pass on building one.

I initially thought it might be too much after my initial research and put it off for a long time.

I finally took the plunge and found it to be much simpler than it sounded, requiring very little real elbow grease. It was actually kind of satisfying to cook on something I built myself.

Thanks Ron! :clap2:

Now... I don't care who Ya are, that's funny.
A two story WSM... :laugh:

Honey, I need the ladder, I'm Bar-B-Queing.

ufreak-1.jpg

do it!

I was a stick burner and after I built my drum I changed my tune. it's another way to cook, drums can be versatile cookers. I'd say it will burn less fuel but uds tend to run on charcoal not splits, still they are rather efficient.

I'd reccomend against an insert for a kettle. it will still take up space, just build a drum.........
but for the record

Back