THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We will cook only 1 contest this year. We cooked in something like 15 contests in 3 years, winning a GC, top ten several times, and never went home from any contest without a walk for something. What I would call verysucessful in a short period of time. This year we decided to focus more on the catering, which has always been a prioority, and good lord are we busy. Busier than we want to be.

The money is great (new shop, trailer and major kitchen remodel all courtesy of our hard work). But, the first $150,000 gets my trailer, truck, supplies, equipment and customer base! I'm tired!

The first time this happened was 3 weeks ago at the GAB. We finished the awards and walked out of there asking ourselves "why do we do this. It's a waste of money, waste of time, etc etc etc". We ended up finishing 42 out of 225. We did not get a call and yes we spent alot of money to do a hobby we have a passion for. But when we found out how we finished, after the shock wore off we continued down our BBQ road.

This may sound dumb but its what we do and seems to help with the mental edge a little. We keep a journal of the scoring sheets from all contests we compete in. We avg out every category and within every category we avg out PTT. We have a set average we shoot for and that is our benchmark. If we go above that mark we take notes on what we did and refer to it before the next contest. If we fail to meet that benchmark we look at pics of what we turned and take notes on things we can do different. I think the key is note taking. I know alot of people think its a pain but it definatley helps us see where we are at and what we need to do to go forward.

This weekend at Yardley and the drive home I was thinking about it. I have realized that the 3 day events are too long, and to hard on the body. We have 3 more contests this year, they are all two dayers and that is not too bad. The only one that will be a hard is the drive home from Dover. But I like the competitions and I like meeting the other competitiors.

I understand fully Vinny.

Last fall, I was ready to hang it up.
Two reasons--

#1--Too much physical labor to deal with the utility trailers and all of the pack-up, set-up, and tear-down time. Wound up exhausted and still had to unpack the chit at home. Wore me out and little to show in the way of quality product.
CheKeeta fixed that problem--She has put the fun back into comps.:lol:
Quality is up because of fewer distractions and irritations.

#2--Too much "out-go" and not enough "in-go" ($$$$$$) to keep it up.
I finally had a change in disposable income and can now afford to enjoy my hobby a few more times a year.
Since quality is up, "in-go" is up a bit and that helps compete even a bit more.

And, I am blessed with 2 of the best partners a guy could ask for. Chad and Smokin Gator are tops and we have a great time at the events.
I would not give that up for the world.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

TIM

Been doin it for eight years now and I'll die before I retire from competition. Just can't do it. There's a big 'ol bbq family out there I'll miss too much. Plus......I need the adrenalin rush....I'm too old to get it any other way!!

We've only been at it for a year and a half but right now I feel the same way. It may be a lot of work and a lot of expense but there isn't anything else like the excitment the builds towards turn in times and then the rush that hits at the awards ceremony.

We've also made what I know will be lifelong friends thanks to competition barbeque and sometimes the only place we get to see them is at events because we live in different cites or states.

Besides, where else (well, maybe poker) can you start your career competing against the very best cooks in the country and stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning? Barbeque is where it's at!

Maybe I'll feel differently after a few more years of this but right now the only thing keeping us from competing in more events is the damn cost of gasoline because we have to drive long distances to most of the contests we enter.

Thanks for all the sharing of thoughts and comments so far. It's very interesting to see the similarities and differences in our views. There's no right or wrong answer as it's such an individual decision. For those who have the benefit of entire family involvement and support to do it very frequently, that is surely a plus. Those who thrive on victory certainly have an outlet to perform at contests.

I don't think burn out is the reason for my increasing disinterest. My schedule was never big enough like some teams to say it was overly consuming. Hell, it's was seven months between the past two contests. Cooking solo at Dover contest last year put things into a new light. Although that was an exception that I knew I would never allow to happen again it still made me question all the energy/time/cash that I was expending. The rewards of placing well no longer seemed important enough to justify doing the same thing on a repetitive basis. Cooking methods for the judges had become a bit boring. Usually I don't even taste my entries as it's not what I'd cook at home or like for myself if I was judging. It's just getting done to get a good score.

Since I began competing, my outdoor cooks at home trying something new etc. have dropped like a rock except for quick gas grilling for dinner on weekdays and an occasional long smoke typically when asked to make something for someone else. Almost more than anything the competition aspect becomes a topic of conversation that others seem to get a kick out of asking about. Somehow, a backyard cook who makes killer stuff is less interesting.

Last edited:
We have been in competative BBQ for 17 years. We will still cook a few nearby contest, but the schedule will be 2 or 3 a year. We love the people which is what it is about. But cost force us to make decissions about our recreational dollars. Plus, I love to cook for our customers, friends, and family more than so-called judges. It has become hard to cook the stuff that wins instead of good BBQ. I guess i'm not retired, but at least semi-retired.

I haven't competed enough to want to give it up yet, but my schedule is not allowing it to happen right now. I pick my vacation weeks for the year in mid January, the comp schedule isn't even available until around March-April around here and I've committed to cover weekends for co-workers since last month with a couple more weekends left. Poor planning on my part, I've taken more BBQ classes in the last year than I've competed! I'm chomping at the bit, I'm set pitwise and feel I can get it done and amazed myself at the Spring Training how focused I was. I went into this with a plan, and so far I've followed through with it, but its tough starting out by yourself.

We've found need to take a pause this year. My son (the Big Dog) has to return to school the weekend of the Hudson Valley Ribfest, so sadly for the first time we won't be there.

But other factors, specifically the cost and the time involved in preparing for and getting to the competitions are keeping us home this year. If the event in Westport that is posted for September occurs, we may be there.

Like most of the other comments posted, we enjoy the competition and the occasional accolade we've gotten. We also enjoy the comaradery and have met some truly great people at the events.

I think, at least for us we'd be more likely to compete if the events were closer and the cost of competing were less.

Unfortunately, if you consider the 'opportunity lost' from the cost of a competition there are a whole lot of other things I can do with the money I spend at each competition. Of course, spending the weekend with my son and having some fun at the event is something I can justify, just not that often.

We're down, but not out and hope to be seeing some of our brethren again in the not too distant future.

I think about it all the time for various reasons. I know I'd still be involved somehow (judging, becoming a KCBS Rep, putting on events, visiting friends at comps and assisting friends' teams when they need a hand). I don't think I could just walk away. We have only been doing this for close to four seasons now but in that time, we've made some of the best friends we'll ever have. We probably have more BBQ friends than friends from any other "source".

However, several issues have basically burnt me out...

1. Time - probably the biggest reason. I'm working two jobs now, both of which have weekend requirements every so often. Add to that home and yard upkeep that's gotten away from me, my daughter's activities, family commitments and some catering. I don't have much free time anymore.

2. It often feels more like work than fun. I don't like work. LOL

3. Feeling like I can't figure out what I need to do with my turn-ins. We're in a huge funk right now and that never helps attitudes and outlooks.

4. Lower back pain. I can't stand on my feet for too long. I THINK it's the extra weight I've put on in the last year. Whatever the cause, a lot of the time, I'm miserable with that. It is literally a pain to load, set up camp (most times by myself), be on my feet all weekend and tear down, load back up and unpack at home. I'm living on Advil for days after an event and pop it pretty regular when I'm not competing. And when I'm NOT on my feet and sitting or lying down for any length of time, my back stiffens up and I walk all hunched over like an 80 year old guy for a little bit until I can stretch it out.

5. I love cooking for catering clients, family and friends. They appreciate it and love it. Judges... well, getting a bunch of 878's on a piece of paper isn't as gratifying as it once was.

6. Money. We're out. Plain and simple. And I used to get a bonus every January from my old job. Even if I'd stayed there, I was told it was stopping due to company finances as of this year. That was where I got all my comp money. Not sure where it's coming from next year... or the rest of this year for that matter. We have this one in Sedlaia this weekend then nothing til September. Not even sure where that's going to come from other than sponsors we currently have.

So... yeah, I'm there with ya, Vinny. I love the idea, the concept and the friends but man, the rest of it is frustrating.

We've found need to take a pause this year. My son (the Big Dog) has to return to school the weekend of the Hudson Valley Ribfest, so sadly for the first time we won't be there.

But other factors, specifically the cost and the time involved in preparing for and getting to the competitions are keeping us home this year. If the event in Westport that is posted for September occurs, we may be there.

Like most of the other comments posted, we enjoy the competition and the occasional accolade we've gotten. We also enjoy the comaradery and have met some truly great people at the events.

I think, at least for us we'd be more likely to compete if the events were closer and the cost of competing were less.

Unfortunately, if you consider the 'opportunity lost' from the cost of a competition there are a whole lot of other things I can do with the money I spend at each competition. Of course, spending the weekend with my son and having some fun at the event is something I can justify, just not that often.

We're down, but not out and hope to be seeing some of our brethren again in the not too distant future.
Considering you lost to fish sticks I would highly recommend you retire from the sport entirely:tongue:

its the money man! i only did one comp so far so i'm still a little ways off from wanting to retire, but i compared the prep and money outlay to moving and Christmas shopping all wrapped up into one. i work weekends, so any competition i plan has that to take into consideration too. also with four year old twins, i don't even buy coffee at the deli no more because i feel like i'm robbing their college fund! but, i try to make it a family event and in the end i believe that the memories made and the experience of working together as a unit combined with getting to meet and interact with all the fun folks at a competition makes it all worth it afterall. also, being semi-delusional at 4:00am and looking across the field at the Two Fat Pollaks camp and seeing them all hanging out under the pointy tents, and suddenly getting the feeling that everyone is one big nomadic tribe broken into seperate family groups out in the desert waiting for daybreak don't hurt either.

We're in our third season and I am still loving it. I get excited weeks before a contest. I love getting setup and then walking around and talking to all of the teams. I love the Friday night Potluck. I love the quiest at 2 or 3 am when I put on my brisket and watch the smoke float up in the moonlight. I love the rush of turn-in time. I love being able to sell samples to the crowd (always nice to leave with some cash in your pocket...). I love being able to interact with the crowd and be silly on the microphone.

I think some of my teammates might be tired or ready to go in a different direction but right now, competition is way too much fun to even consider giving up.

Oh yeah...the winning is cool too.

This makes year three for us and I still enjoy competing and now that I fill like I can really start setting some goals for myself other that just placing. And now the wife is even doing some comps it helps her understand what it's all about, we have met some of the best people at contest and have friends that I never thought we would have If I could I would Q every weekend.

I'll retire after three straight jack wins:mrgreen:

This makes year three for us and I still enjoy competing and now that I fill like I can really start setting some goals for myself other that just placing. And now the wife is even doing some comps it helps her understand what it's all about, we have met some of the best people at contest and have friends that I never thought we would have If I could I would Q every weekend.

That avatar stinks!:-D

Well, if that were my goal, i got one down, two to go... :shock:.. I think i'll retire if i even get lucky enough to place in the top 10 again in that contest !!!... actually, i need to have a goal of juggin' in pork at the jack. I want a jug in pork and a cow shaped cuttin' board in Madison..

I maybe out of line to contribute to this discussion, as I have not competed yet. I am planning on attending the Kettering comp with Curt as a helper to see if it is something I may be interested in. However, I can tell you that being part of the Pretty Good Barbecue at our local church was one of the most fantastic events I have ever been a part of, for many reasons I won't bore you with. As well, my whole family was involved, we had Brethren from all over there, and we all had a great time, without the hassle of competition. We did have a mini-comp, but it was more for fun than anything else.

As well, I usually smoke something once or twice a week, and I usually will make 4-5 times what our family will eat. I have a stack of styrofoam boxes in the garage, and after dinner, I will float some around to the neighbors just to surprise them. Brings me a great amount of joy, and doesn't cost much at all.

I guess if you still have passion for cooking maybe there are other ways to use your talent if the comp scene is too much hassle.

I personally think it would be cool if the Brethren site had someone plan out 6-8 events each year at various strategic places in the US, with a very informal contest system and minimal associated costs. I know we do Bash's every once in awhile, but if it was planned out at the beginning of the year like a comp calendar, everyone would have time to plan for it and it would add a little structure to the process. That would give us all an excuse and a place to get together, with some small amount of competition involved. Think Bash combined with very loose KCBS judging. Maybe a Brethren Comp Commitee 6-8 geographic areas setup a bash/comp that could happen each year. Eventually the events would grow and be KCBS sanctioned and we would be right back to comps again! :eek: Oh well, it was just an idea....

Good luck with your decision, but don't stop the sweet blue. Maybe just use it in another way....

I lost a year when I was CBBQA President just could not do it all that year
Now when I am not organizing the contest I love to cook with Kyle and we have done OK

This summer we are building up the Catering/Vending Biz and I am sure that will limit us in the future

My BBQ team is made up of family and friends. This is my time to spend with them without the distraction of TV, video games, and other outside influences. The thought of retirement from competition has never crossed my mine probably becuase the competition season is so short up North. We just had our first competition last weekend and if we're lucky we'll stretch the season into October.

Retire, never! Quite the contrary. In fact when I die, I've already instructed my son to have me cremated and sprinke my ashes down at the Jack Daniels BBQ Contest site and a little bit of me up on BBQ Hill. That way I'm sure to make the Invitational every year!:-D

My BBQ team is made up of family and friends. This is my time to spend with them without the distraction of TV, video games, and other outside influences.

I agree with this, my team is made up of 7 guys (friends and family) and contests give us the rare opportunity to have some QT.

1. Jamie Geer Large Trailer Mounted Pit (On order)

OK, spill the beans, lets hear the details on this :-D

Back