THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
Hey guys,

My wife got me a kitchen aid and grinder attachment for father's day so I want to grind my first beef for burgers tonight.

Couple questions:

I bought a whole chuck and top-sirloin to mix together. Should I trim anything before cutting the meat into chunks appropriate for the grinder? IE: trim some of the fat off the edges/sides?

Also, should I put the meat in the freezer for a while to achieve best results?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to grinding my own meat and eventually making my own sausage.

I grind my own beef with a Kitchen Aide. Do not remove any fat unless it has strings. That beef is way to lean for my taste and I add fatback and some of my bacon for flavor and fat content. Test fry a small piece and add more fatback if necessary. When you get the fat content where you want it grind the mix a second time. You'll never go back.

I save the Trimmed Fat from briskets to add if needed. My favorite mix is 3 lb of brisket point, 2 lb top sirloin.

Agreed, you probably don't want to trim any fat. Adding some brisket fat (or even bacon fat if good beef tallow isn't handy) can really help. I shoot for 75/25 by my eye and figure if it's anywhere between 70/30 and 80/20 it'll be a good burger. You *do* want the meat as cold as as possible, but not frozen. If the fat is too warm or it is stringy it will bind and clog the grinder. I don't bother with the second grind though.

The other thing: the meat is going to come out of the grinder very loosely packed. Preserve that while you prep the burgers and you'll find that it comes out much better.

I don't trim any thing. Cube the meat into 3/4" to 1" pieces. Freeze for an hour and then grind. I'd also throw in some short rib meat, but that's just me. Also, put your cutting blades and grinder in the freezer for an hour or so before you start.

Thanks for all the responses. I have some thick cut bacon in the freezer. Should I add some of this to the top-sirloin/chuck roast combo?

Depends on how well done you eat your burgers. I like mine just in the medium rare range. With pork added, you'd have to get into the well range to cook the pork.

Thanks for all the responses. I have some thick cut bacon in the freezer. Should I add some of this to the top-sirloin/chuck roast combo?

Silly question. Adding bacon is never a bad thing. :biggrin1:

In all seriousness, when I grind hamburger, I do 2lb chuck, 1lb sirloin, 1 lb bacon. If I'm feeling it, I'll add 1/2 lb of sharp cheddar to the finished results and then grind it all a second time.

Not to sound like a parrot of the other guys who've mentioned it, but the most important thing is to get that meat almost frozen. I cut into strips slightly narrower than the throat of the grinder and about 6" or 7" long, then lay them out on a sheet pan and put in the freezer for a half hour. Doing this will ensure the grind goes quickly and smoothly. If you skip it, the grinder will bog, the blade will get sinew wrapped around it and you'll get what my wife calls "meat shrapnel" all over your kitchen.

You are going to love making your own meat for burgers. Burger meat quality has deteriorated for so long you will not recognize it when you eat it and likely not go back. I will also suggest... flat griddle the thing... which is probably awkward in a bbq forum.... but all that glorious taste is in the carmalization of a griddle burger... just try it one day.

You are going to love making your own meat for burgers. Burger meat quality has deteriorated for so long you will not recognize it when you eat it and likely not go back. I will also suggest... flat griddle the thing... which is probably awkward in a bbq forum.... but all that glorious taste is in the carmalization of a griddle burger... just try it one day.

Yep. I don't have a griddle, but my 12" CI skillet works great. Love pan fried burgers!

I've been doing this for over a year now with a KA. Love it!

I found that strips are better than chunks as said above, but I don't freeze them. Just nice and very cold.

Have fun with your tasty burgers.

I've been doing this for over a year now with a KA. Love it!

I found that strips are better than chunks as said above, but I don't freeze them. Just nice and very cold.

Have fun with your tasty burgers.

That scene from Pulp Fiction came to mind when I read this. The one where Samual L. Jackson takes a bite of the Big Kahuna burger and says, "Mmmm, that issss a tasty burger". Then he and John Travolta get busy taking care of the business they were there for.

I agree, a griddle cooked burger is far better than a grilled on IMO, especially when you have the right ratio of meats!!!

By all means add bacon and do not be too bothered by the well-done issue. In many countries of the world bacon is eaten soft where the fat parts are cooked just barely translucent. Britian and Australia are two places that come to mind.

Ahhh, I used to love breakfast in London, Thick fatty slices of barely cooked bacon, eggs fried in deep fat, a slice of bread fried in butter/fat, a cup of strong tea with milk and sugar. The World's best hangover cure. :grin:

The cooking pork well done is a carry over from the old days before reliable meat inspections. Hydatids worm larvae was equally as common in raw beef as in pork. These days not an issue when grinding your own meat.

Quote: " They can be caused when humans consume raw or undercooked animal products that contain worm larvae (for beef or pork)."

Back to the original question, I have been grinding my own for 20+ years and I try to aim for around 20% fat as that contains a lot of the flavors of the meat. Next time at the supermarket, get some 90/10 ground beef and try it. It will make a pretty dry and disappointing burger.

I've been doing the griddle thing for a while. I agree that the crust just can't be beat. Looking forward to tonight's burgers!

SAVE YOUR PORK FAT IN THE FRIDGE..... Oil your spot for the burger with that Pig Honey like butta.... oyu will NOT be sorry.

I concur with the cooking a burger on the skillet. The carmelization of the meat is perfect. Lately I've been cooking on my Camp Chef propane burner stove outside on CI, and I love the results. And it keeps me from heating up the house with the stove. Thanks for all the comments on grinding burger, I've got a kitchen aid grinder and I've used it once maybe. Gonna have to try this. Thanks everybody. Great thread.

Back to the original question, I have been grinding my own for 20+ years and I try to aim for around 20% fat as that contains a lot of the flavors of the meat. Next time at the supermarket, get some 90/10 ground beef and try it. It will make a pretty dry and disappointing burger.

While I agree that with store bought meat this is very true.
But I happened to be at the Dallas Farmers market and they had some folks selling grass fed beef.
I purchased some "steakburgers" as they called them and they were a 90/10 ratio. The fellow selling them made a strong point of telling me the burgers had to be cooked slow on indirect heat.
Hmmm..... sounds like a job for my smoker.

Yea baby, slow cooked them in the smoker till internal temp 150, moved them over to the gas grill and cooked them just long enough to melt the cheese. They were some of the best darn burgers.
Maybe it was the smoke ?
Maybe it was the meat?
All I know is they was the best.

Back