Grind Plate Size?

JohnH12

Full Fledged Farker
Sucklebusters recommends course ground meat that they call a chili grind for their chili.
I've been making my chili with chunks of meat in the past but would like to try some course ground meat for the next batch.
I have a great #32 Cabela's Carnivore grinder.
I see that Sausage Maker has plates up to 3/4".
What size plate do most folks recommend for truly course ground meat?

Another question:
When grinding the meat does the grain direction matter?

The largest plate I have has six 1/2" holes. I usually slice meat with the grain, so the knife is cutting against the grain.

fu7oaJq.jpg

And here is what that grind looks like with one pass only.

4ehxHzt.jpg

uc0pxlJ.jpg

Add Pic
The largest plate I have has six 1/2" holes. I usually slice meat with the grain, so the knife is cutting against the grain.

fu7oaJq.jpg

And here is what that grind looks like with one pass only.

4ehxHzt.jpg

uc0pxlJ.jpg

Thanks thirdeye.
What size is the smaller plate on the right side?

The largest I currently have is a 10mm but it looks like the 1/2" is what I'm looking for.
The Sausage Maker 1/2" for the #32 grinder has quite a few more holes than yours. See the link.
https://www.sausagemaker.com/32-Stainless-Steel-1-2-Grinder-Plate-p/15-1523.htm

Attachments

• Sausage Maker Half Inch Plate.jpg
    Sausage Maker Half Inch Plate.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
A #32 grinder has a much larger head than I do. Uh..., a larger head than my grinder does. A #32 plate is almost 4" in diameter, my plates are closer to 2" in diameter.

A #32 grinder has a much larger head than I do. Uh..., a larger head than my grinder does. A #32 plate is almost 4" in diameter, my plates are closer to 2" in diameter.

True but what size is the other plate on the right in the pic with the 1/2" one? That grind looks good also.
I have a 10mm so I may not have to buy the 1/2" one.

True but what size is the other plate on the right in the pic with the 1/2" one? That grind looks good also.
I have a 10mm so I may not have to buy the 1/2" one.

Here they are in order: 1/2", 5/16", 1/4", 3/16", 5/32"

With the exception of my hot dogs... I'm typically a single grind guy, but on occasion I'll combine two sizes with 25% to 30% coarser than the main grind. An all pork farmers sausage is a good example here because I mostly make it in bulk for pizza toppings or a breakfast pattie, meatballs, or a sausage burger. You can change the mouth feel with two different grinds.

Thanks. Excellent responses to my questions. I think I'll try a single grind with the 10mm on the next batch and save the 1/2" plate money for something else.

Back