THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Man so many sales going on. I can't help myself but to try to add a pellet smoker to the mix.

It looks like the GMG Jim Bowie, Grilla Silverbac, and the Pellet Pro are all about the same price right now.

I'm feeling a bit jaded by the Pellet Pro's $80 home delivery cost which makes it more expensive than the GMG Jim Bowie with wifi.

I read some reviews that the GMG Jim Bowie is a bit temperamental compared to their other models. I guess I could go with the Daniel Boone but the extra cooking surface is appreciated.

I am not looking at the Pitboss or Camp Chef because of some talk about replacing bad controllers for $200+. I would go with a RecTec or Mak etc but I have so many smokers I really don't want to spend a ton of my pellet smoker especially since I love playing with fire so my stick burners are my passion right now.

Sway my decision please :)

I've had all three of the GMG smokers - and if you really want a GMG, consider getting the DB and just order the GMG smoke shelf ($37). That will give you extra cooking space and it'll still be cheaper than getting a JB. Or you can easily make an upper shelf with a spare grate and some stainless nuts,bolts, and washers.

Sounds like you have 2 with issues or complaints and 1 without but you are more concerned with the $80... :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I bought a Grilla silverbac over the summer and I've been very pleased with it. Easy to assembly, parts seem of good quality, and I produced some nice Q from it.

It's my first pellet smoker, and I feel for the price it's been worth it thus far. I will actually be smoking a prime rib sunday on it..

Sounds like you have 2 with issues or complaints and 1 without but you are more concerned with the $80... :heh:

Been reading a bit more. Grilla seems to have solid customer service. Just a few patches of complaints which is to be expected. The GMG Daniel Boone with the extra rack as suggested solves the GMG issues.

All with an extra $80 (minimum) left in my pocket :clap2:

Been reading a bit more. Grilla seems to have solid customer service. Just a few patches of complaints which is to be expected. The GMG Daniel Boone with the extra rack as suggested solves the GMG issues.

Mark the Pellet Pro off the list. If that $80 bothers you now it is gonna bother you forever. I was thinking if i get one and had an issue I'd be more upset about that than the money. With the sale the DB is way cheaper than just $80.

I can attest that the GMG extra rack is high quality. When I had my JB, I had 2 GMG extra racks for it and both fit not problem which pretty much nearly doubled the cooking area. I'm pretty sure you can fit 2 racks in the DB also, but you might want to double check with GMG first. I'm sure the DB extra rack is the same quality as the JB extra rack, just a little shorter than the JB. Get 2 racks, now you're down to $40 left in your pocket. :grin:

All 3 are great. If you absolutely need WiFi go gmg. If you want the best controller go pellet pro. If you want lots of stainless and insulation go grilla. Me personally... I’d get the one with the best electronics and controller as these are going to be the things that fail first... way before the body would ever rust out. Also from what I hear pellet pro has good customer service and a good warranty.

Man so many sales going on. I can't help myself but to try to add a pellet smoker to the mix.

It looks like the GMG Jim Bowie, Grilla Silverbac, and the Pellet Pro are all about the same price right now.

I'm feeling a bit jaded by the Pellet Pro's $80 home delivery cost which makes it more expensive than the GMG Jim Bowie with wifi.

I read some reviews that the GMG Jim Bowie is a bit temperamental compared to their other models. I guess I could go with the Daniel Boone but the extra cooking surface is appreciated.

I am not looking at the Pitboss or Camp Chef because of some talk about replacing bad controllers for $200+. I would go with a RecTec or Mak etc but I have so many smokers I really don't want to spend a ton of my pellet smoker especially since I love playing with fire so my stick burners are my passion right now.

Sway my decision please :)

Sway your decision? Ok..... get the MAK. I’m not one of those guys that just because I own one it’s the best blah blah blah. I also was like you. I have several smokers including an expensive gravity feed. I just wanted to dip my toes in the pellet world. I went from settling on a 700 dollar Rec Tec to finally the 2K plus MAK sitting in my yard. And you know what? Not a single regret. You really can’t appreciate how well built that thing is until you put your hands on it. So if you can swing it, just bite the bullet and go MAK. You’ll love it.

PS- the one star is on sale at the moment for 1599.00 at Big Poppas Smokers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Traeger Texas, GMG Jim Bowie, and a uds w/ Pellet Pro hopper assembly. They all have their strong points and weak points.

The GMG is by far the heaviest built of what I have, but it seems to have some hot spots in places I wouldn’t expect. The customer service I received from GMG was second to none. This is my newest grill so I am still getting used to it but so far I’m impressed.

The Traeger is my oldest grill and my go-to for most dinners mainly bc I am more comfortable with it. That being said I did have to replace the auger motor and replaced the controller with a Pellet Pro controller (which I believe was a major upgrade).

The drum is my favorite for the bigger cuts of meat bc it seems to control the temps better and seems to have more a of smoke flavor than the other grills. The Pellet Pro hopper assembly has been bulletproof and has worked flawless. Dennis w/ Smoke Daddy Inc has been very helpful any time I have asked him questions.

Another option to look at is a Blazn Grill. If I was in the market for a new pellet pooper they would probably be my brand of choice. Built locally here in Nebraska and I haven’t talked to anyone around here who is disappointed with them. Just some food for thought

Was a GMG fanboy, less after this....

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266248

Still in use, but quality control could be better.
Just under 3 years old and out of warrantee
...they've up'd it to 3years, but not retro active.

My initial purchase for my GMGDB wifi was $500 new out the door.

I've since invested in a thermo cover($85), downdraft($50), single piece grease drip tray($30), modded the heat box, modded the grill so I could slide heat box during cooks, replaced the temp probe twice(free both times, once after warrantee). And I was very careful with probe 2 and still failed after just a few cooks. Kept the last replacement new in the bag in case I decide to sell I have a working probe.

Oh, and I still have hot spots.

I decided on the Grilla. I was about to pull the trigger on the GMG DB but the closest dealer only had the WiFi model and after WiFi, a rack, and tax it was going to be around $600 ie same as Grilla but less than Peller Pro. I decided I prefer to focus on the construction than WiFi. I think the only thing WiFi is useful for is adjusting the temp and I’m more interested in the pit temp and probe and I can do that with an independent unit. So Grilla purchased...

I decided on the Grilla. I was about to pull the trigger on the GMG DB but the closest dealer only had the WiFi model and after WiFi, a rack, and tax it was going to be around $600 ie same as Grilla but less than Peller Pro. I decided I prefer to focus on the construction than WiFi. I think the only thing WiFi is useful for is adjusting the temp and I’m more interested in the pit temp and probe and I can do that with an independent unit. So Grilla purchased...

Personally, I think you made a great choice! Congrats and look forward to seeing/hearing more after you receive it :)

I think the only thing WiFi is useful for is adjusting the temp

Actually the best thing about the wifi is that you can run profiles....turn up, down after a set time or probe temp. ...also necessary for firmware updates.
The worst thing about the wifi... Doesn't always stay connected. It has been handy a few times, but simply not reliable.

You made a good choice.

Back