Pellet Grill - Decisions, Decisions

mdscott1975

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Mike Scott
Hey All,

New member here. I realize this topic has probably been discussed ad nauseam, so I apologize in advance.

I've been smoking on a WSM 22' for the last 5 years and really enjoy it. Couple issues... It's messy, it's difficult to move around and most importantly the wife is not wild about that smoke/charcoal taste. A friend of mine recently purchased a GMG Daniel Boone and we really love the mild wood taste is produces.

So, I've spent the last few weeks obsessively researching pellet smokers. I've gone back and forth several times between Grilla Silverbac, Rec Tec 590/700 and the Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro 1190.

I'm fairly certain I've decided on the Pellet Pro 1190 for a few reasons. Seems like a really heavy duty, well made cooker with quality materials (so do the Grilla and Rectec). I like the fact they're a family owned company. I've read and been told their customer service is fantastic. I even called and spoke to one of their employees who answered lots of questions for me. I've also been told that their PID controller might be one of the best in the business. Finally, they have a bundle package right now that includes a 'free' sear daddy and a cover. Seem like a fantastic value, IMO.

I know there are lots of quality cookers out there today, but was curious if anyone could make a strong case for any of the ones I mentioned or any of others.

I'd really like to keep the top end of the budget around $1,200, so the Yoder's / MAKs aren't an option.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

I don't know too much about Smoke Daddy but. it looks like you did your research. I have had a rec-tec 680 for quite some time now and very pleased with it and the company. I store mine in the garage addition so maybe it's a little spoiled. I would not hesitate to buy another.

I’ve done business with SmokeDaddyinc and have been very pleased.. I’m sure you’ll be very happy with the SmokeDaddy Pellet Pro 1190.

I agree with the others. You’ve done the research and settled on what you feel is gonna work best for you and your family. I’d have no hesitation pulling the trigger on a Smoke Daddy from what I have read and heard. Welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking :)

I’m going through the same process although I’m about 99% decided on a Rec Tec. My biggest decision is trying to figure out if I want the RT-590 or RT-700. :mrgreen:

I’m curious why you decided to go with Smoke Daddy over Rec Tec. Don’t worry I’m not here to debate you I’m just wanting to make sure I didn’t over look something and you mentioned you seriously considered Rec Tec too. I understand everyone needs to go with the cooker that fits their needs so whatever your answer is I will not argue with you about it. I’m really just trying to make sure I looked at all angles of this in coming to the conclusion that Rec Tec is the way to go for me. Especially when I’m about to drop more cash than I’ve ever spent on a cooker. :wacko:

Thanks!

Agree with others. Looks like you’ve done your homework, enjoy it!

Important that you’ve tried the food from your friends GMG too as the pellet will be different than what you were used to on the WSM.

You’re going to love the convenience!

I agree with others, you have done your research and if you are happy with what you found with the Pellet Pro that's probably the direction you should go. Otherwise if you order another cooker anytime something doesn't go great you are going to wonder if that wouldn't have happened with the pellet pro. I did all the research like you and went with the Rec Teq and couldn't be happier. Everything I have heard from Rec Teq, Grilla, and Pellet Pro owners have been positive so I am sure all of them are very good cookers.

those are excellent choices. I think you would be very happy with any of those. Smoke Daddy is a great choice. I love the looks of their vertical smoker. That would be high on my list if I were in the process again.

You've done your research so you probably already know this but check out Dead Broke BBQ on Youtube. Jeff recently added a Smoke Daddy to his lineup and so far seems to enjoy it.

As for my personal experience I've had a RecTec 680 and Bullseye. The 680 was replaced by the Bull but is built very well for it's price point. The Wifi works much better than the GMG I owned. Only downside is I never filled it up. I'm a one brisket at a time cook as we are a family of 3. I sold it and bought a WSM and RecTec Bullseye with the money. The Bullseye sadly isn't built as well but embarks a better smoke flavor IMO. Not strong, like the WSM but more noticeable than the 680.

I have a Smoke Daddy. Love it the hot rod recently out called them but nobody answered. Got a call back 10 minutes later told them what happened and new one was shipped out same day.

Well everyone here knows what my response is gonna be.. But the only reason why is because I only have experience with Grilla Grillz.. I love my silverbac.. I haven't had a bit of issues with it.. I do know that all the other brands you mentioned are good too. But I can't do much but recommend ones I have experience with.

I’m going through the same process although I’m about 99% decided on a Rec Tec. My biggest decision is trying to figure out if I want the RT-590 or RT-700. :mrgreen:

I’m curious why you decided to go with Smoke Daddy over Rec Tec. Don’t worry I’m not here to debate you I’m just wanting to make sure I didn’t over look something and you mentioned you seriously considered Rec Tec too. I understand everyone needs to go with the cooker that fits their needs so whatever your answer is I will not argue with you about it. I’m really just trying to make sure I looked at all angles of this in coming to the conclusion that Rec Tec is the way to go for me. Especially when I’m about to drop more cash than I’ve ever spent on a cooker. :wacko:

Thanks!

Honesty, up until about a week ago I was leaning towards the Rectec. I probably would have opted for the Bull because I do tend to smoke 5+ racks of ribs and/or a butt at the same time a few times a year. The 590 would have been fine 90% of the time, but I know I'd miss the extra space. The Bull seems like it's built like a tank. I reached out to Rectec via e-mail with some questions a few weeks ago and the response was quick and extremely informative. I was very impressed.

Basically a coin flip, but here's what put the Pellet Pro 1190 over the top for me
* More cooking space than the Bull
* the Sear Daddy and cover are included with 1190 right now - If I were to add these with the Bull I'd be bumping close to $1500, so cost was a factor.
* Jeff Rice from Dead Broke BBQ told me it's the best PID controller he's ever used and he's been very pleased with the product, the results and customer service.
* I do like that they are a family owned business. I called the other day and spoke to Dan who answered all my questions. I feel really good that they will stand by their product. Not to say Rectec won't. I've heard mostly all positives.

Reason for Rectec
* I think the Bull uses a slightly heavier gauge material, so it'll probably last forever.
* Bull comes with WiFi. PP 1190 only has Wifi for Android right now (I'm ab Apple user). WiFi is a nice to have but not a necessity for me. If I want to upgrade later, I can.

So, I don't think you can wrong with either. Splitting hairs at this point. Who knows, I may change my mind again.
Mike

Honesty, up until about a week ago I was leaning towards the Rectec. I probably would have opted for the Bull because I do tend to smoke 5+ racks of ribs and/or a butt at the same time a few times a year. The 590 would have been fine 90% of the time, but I know I'd miss the extra space. The Bull seems like it's built like a tank. I reached out to Rectec via e-mail with some questions a few weeks ago and the response was quick and extremely informative. I was very impressed.

Basically a coin flip, but here's what put the Pellet Pro 1190 over the top for me
* More cooking space than the Bull
* the Sear Daddy and cover are included with 1190 right now - If I were to add these with the Bull I'd be bumping close to $1500, so cost was a factor.
* Jeff Rice from Dead Broke BBQ told me it's the best PID controller he's ever used and he's been very pleased with the product, the results and customer service.
* I do like that they are a family owned business. I called the other day and spoke to Dan who answered all my questions. I feel really good that they will stand by their product. Not to say Rectec won't. I've heard mostly all positives.

Reason for Rectec
* I think the Bull uses a slightly heavier gauge material, so it'll probably last forever.
* Bull comes with WiFi. PP 1190 only has Wifi for Android right now (I'm ab Apple user). WiFi is a nice to have but not a necessity for me. If I want to upgrade later, I can.

So, I don't think you can wrong with either. Splitting hairs at this point. Who knows, I may change my mind again.
Mike

Awesome! I really appreciate your response. I’m actually trying to figure out which RT I want the 590 or 700. I definitely don’t need more space than the 700 and like you mentioned the 590 would probably work for 90% of my cooks. I’m typically a 3 rack rib guy or maybe a couple racks and chicken wings. One thing I’d like is the ability to cook two briskets though. I could probably make it work in the 590 but most likely would need the extra shelf. I’ve decided if I go with the 590 I need the all weather smoke vents and the competition cart. The cart is usually $300 but if you buy it when you purchase the 590 they discount the price to $150. I feel like I need it because of many reviews saying the regular legs are squirrelly. I will eventually need the extra shelf I mentioned. Al together that makes the grill only about $150 less than the 700 because I wouldn’t need those things. The 700 looks really cool too but it’ll take up more of my already limited space.
Good luck with your decision brother, lord knows I need some luck myself. Lol. :biggrin1:

Back