THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shnmclr

Knows what a fatty is.
I just finished a 5 day central Texas BBQ Crawl (I will do a separate post with plenty of pictures in the next couple of days) and on day 2 we ate at Franklin BBQ in Austin. . The meat is insanely moist and it is far and away the best BBQ I've ever had. I've spent most of the trip trying to figure out the spritz he is using. I've heard he has used pickle juice, but I was wondering if maybe their might be some clarified butter in it perhaps? It also had a lemon/citrus undertone. Has anyone used clarified butter in a spritz? I would think if most of the fat was removed it wouldn't congeal when not in use. Anybody got any ideas on it?

• Thanks
Reactions: bam
Sounds like a very cool and eventful trip...way way cool.

As far as the moisture goes, just because someone spritzes doesn't mean it adds moisture to the meat. Can't see spritzing being absorbed into the meat as it is expelling other juices.

Mostly spritzing is a "feel good" thing imo. I've done it before and i felt better so. :noidea:

Now adding a flavor profile is whole other topic.

List the places you went.

La Barbecue and Mueller's are top in my rankings. Stiles Switch is good too. Franklin is King but the other places pretty tastey with no lines (as deep)

Sounds like a very cool and eventful trip...way way cool.

As far as the moisture goes, just because someone spritzes doesn't mean it adds moisture to the meat. Can't see spritzing being absorbed into the meat as it is expelling other juices.

Mostly spritzing is a "feel good" thing imo. I've done it before and i felt better so. :noidea:

Now adding a flavor profile is whole other topic.

He states in his book that he spritzes the meat in the dry areas specifically, to avoid over-charred areas. Nothing more. I personally don't even do that, and have never had issues. As you said, it's a feel-good thing, unless his pits behave differently.

He states in his book that he spritzes the meat in the dry areas specifically, to avoid over-charred areas. Nothing more. I personally don't even do that, and have never had issues. As you said, it's a feel-good thing, unless his pits behave differently.

Now that makes perfect sense...done that with ribs and also could have most likely done without. When i did it was an open cook,when the lid is shut it stays shut. I think there's many folks out there that think it's a moisture thing. Not sure if the OP thought it did or not...just curious as to the flavor profile?

I have seen worstershire as well. Also thought I heard something about apple cider vinegar.

I haven't had it yet, but I am pretty positive that it has everything to do with the meat he uses!

We visited
Stiles Switch
Franklin BBQ
Snow's BBQ
Louie Mueller
La Barbecue
Valentinas Food Truck
Smitty's
Kruez
and to finish off we went to Shiner Tx to visit the brewery.

as I said I'll post with pics in the next few days. It was a good time no doubt.

We visited
Stiles Switch
Franklin BBQ
Snow's BBQ
Louie Mueller
La Barbecue
Valentinas Food Truck
Smitty's
Kruez

as I said I'll post with pics in the next few days. It was a good time no doubt.

That is a great list. Next time try Southside Market and Coopers in Llano. Mueller's has the best sausage IMO.

We visited
Stiles Switch
Franklin BBQ
Snow's BBQ
Louie Mueller
La Barbecue
Valentinas Food Truck
Smitty's
Kruez

You missed Blacks in Lockhart and you were right there!!! Also Kent Blacks (son of blacks) in San Marcos is phenomenal!

I have seen worstershire as well. Also thought I heard something about apple cider vinegar.

I haven't had it yet, but I am pretty positive that it has everything to do with the meat he uses!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPjH_DslwhM"]Behind The Scenes At Franklin BBQ - YouTube[/ame]
In the video they say they only use apple cider vinegar if you listen.

The spritzing adds moisture to the pit, cools the exterior surface of the meat to allow the middle to catch up, and softens the bark to keep it from burning. It was interesting to see the oak log heat defectors in his pit.

Spritzing is just spray-on stall with flavor. Sometimes that's what you want, sometimes it's not. It certainly doesn't add moisture to the meat.

The spritzing adds moisture to the pit, cools the exterior surface of the meat to allow the middle to catch up, and softens the bark to keep it from burning. It was interesting to see the oak log heat defectors in his pit.

Thought that was very interesting too.. it must protect that first row of briskets from that heat blast. I imagine those logs get pre-warmed before they throw them in the fire.. Learned something today :)

ACV... this whole time I thought they used watered down Worcestershire sauce.. may have to try this too.

Back