Flippity, flip, flip or flip, flip?

They DEFINITELY have their place. I rarely used my GrillGrates for the grill marks. They're a great tool for the gasser or fatty cuts. Hell, even just for burgers.

D5rw3ZJh.jpg

6pj2yXuh.jpg

I actually just ordered their half-moon for my BGE. Gonna try it as a heat deflector under an elevated grate when I need to move food away from direct flame. Tired of dealing with heavy fragile stones.

Just surfin' around youtube and up pops a short 4 minute vid from probably Tampa's most respected steakhouse, Bern's, on how they cook steaks. They dry age all their own beef and have a ton of awards.

This thread came to mind at the 1:20 mark. Flip,flip,flip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0fXV5lWjkQ

Just surfin' around youtube and up pops a short 4 minute vid from probably Tampa's most respected steakhouse, Bern's, on how they cook steaks. They dry age all their own beef and have a ton of awards.

This thread came to mind at the 1:20 mark. Flip,flip,flip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0fXV5lWjkQ

AWESOME video!

Now I wanna go there !!!!

It seems to me that we are debating different cooking methods (or at least cooking temps) not just how many times to flip.

Is everyone talking about open (uncovered) direct fire cooking? I assume so because with a cover things cook very differently.

How hot of a fire are we talking? I can say for my open cooker, 4 minutes directly over a hot live fire with the grates anywhere below 1/2 way down will burn just about anything. If I am cooking a steak on the live fire grill, I would rather do multiple flips to give each side a few seconds to cool then raise the grates and not flip.

I cook on 900F IR so i would have to flip every 10 seconds with that method. I usually do 1 min, 1/2 turn, 1 min flip, 1 min, 1/2 turn, 1 min plate and serve.

Just FYI.... The flip every 45 seconds or so works very well on Pork Chops too!
No pictures, but I swear I did it! But, tender, juicy pork chops with a nice crust on them too.
I think I might be a fleaker convert

Just FYI.... The flip every 45 seconds or so works very well on Pork Chops too!
No pictures, but I swear I did it! But, tender, juicy pork chops with a nice crust on them too.
I think I might be a fleaker convert

NcHe8AS.jpg

Back