THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im a Walrus

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I tried my first grilled pizza yesterday. Turned out delicious.

I started by slow cooking the pizza sauce for a day in a crock pot. It turned out great (picture below is sauce being reheated to room temperature for cooking). I used Landarc's pizza dough recipe (he has it here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1730962&postcount=3). That was also excellent.

I did two types of pizzas. One was pure marinara (with fresh mozzarella and basil for toppings). The other was mozzarella with pepperoni. I got a picture of the marinara before cooking but it completely burned. The final pepperoni is in the photo below.

I didn't have a pizza stone and tried the method of putting it on the grill, cooking one side, taking it off, topping the cooked side, then putting back on the grill. It worked great except with the marinara I left it on too long for the last part of the cook. It was charred black. What a shame too- it looked delicious going on. For the pepperoni, I put some aluminum foil under it after I had cooked for about 2 minutes on the grill. It had already firmed up (I was cooking at about 580) and the foil kept it from burning while letting the cheeses melt and blend in.

Thanks to all for the tips! I will definitely try this again.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 161
It looks good.
Just keep trying until you find the method that works best for you with your grill.:thumb:

Thanks! I think some slight modifications (adding a pizza stone would be the biggest) and it should be perfect next time. Still very good this time. None was left- always a good sign!

nothing like trying to perfect something as good as pizza. Looks awesome

The first pizza I cooked on the grill was fantastic. The first pizza I cooked on a stone got burned on the bottom. It just takes a little practice with some trial and error :)

Nice job on the pizza. Everything looks really good. That sauce looks awesome. I never tried to make homemade sauce. I may have to give it a go.

pizza certainly takes some practice..keep at it and it will get better and better once you find a technique and process that works for you...you might try fresh san marzano maters and dont cook them next time...most pizza sauce is not cooked...you lose a LOT of the fresh and bright flavor of the maters when cooking it (san marzanos make a big difference)

pizza certainly takes some practice..keep at it and it will get better and better once you find a technique and process that works for you...you might try fresh san marzano maters and dont cook them next time...most pizza sauce is not cooked...you lose a LOT of the fresh and bright flavor of the maters when cooking it (san marzanos make a big difference)

Interesting. So what would you generally do to create a pizza sauce with san marzanos? Any recipe you care to share? Thanks!

Back