THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I keep coming across these Grandma Pizza recipes and videos, figured I'd give it a try. The dough was very forgiving, I used a recipe from Simply Recipes and started it this morning. Within a few hours it had risen quite nicely (no pics, didn't think I'd be posting this) so I let it do its thing for the remainder of the afternoon.

I preheated the oven to 500F (highest temp in my electric) and placed an upside down sheet pan as recommended on the lowest rack (more on this later). I heavily oiled the second sheet pan and dropped the dough in, spreading it out as much as possible. Since it wouldn't stretch completely, I let it rest for a while and then managed to work it into the corners -

hUxCqr4.jpg

I followed the guidelines for one of these pizzas, and similar to a Detroit, the cheese goes down first. I made sure to place as much as possible along the edges -

i0jxIgg.jpg

Followed by dollops of homemade sauce and nobody says you can't do your own thing and add pepperoni -

WB4Yoa8.jpg

Into the oven for 12-15 minutes. After 12, I noticed the bottom wasn't crisping as much as I'd liked, so I removed the upside down pan and placed the pie pan on the rack. I believe the Simply Recipes recipe states to do this since it was using a light colored baking pan. Mine was well worn and dark. At least that's my theory. I suppose if you had a baking stone or steel you'd get good results. The recipe also recommends par-baking the crust which I didn't think was necessary.

The extra few minutes beyond the initial 15 did the trick -

nP0iT3N.jpg

Nicely browned cheese and pepperoni cups!

Q9CFnL7.jpg

N2HleLZ.jpg

Cooling on a wire rack to keep the bottom crispy -

dyLWpjM.jpg

Sliced along the dividing lines -

aF5nUIy.jpg

Pizza is calling my name! -

ZoR4VTS.jpg

xe90UVd.jpg

P2r1Pud.jpg

All in all, a very successful oven pizza! I'll be adding this to my "make again" list, but maybe not as here's a preview of what's to come later this week. ;)

SzxeWoi.jpg

Thanks for following along on a fun Grandma Pizza bake. Give it a try.

Regards,
-lunchman

I keep coming across these Grandma Pizza recipes and videos, figured I'd give it a try. The dough was very forgiving, I used a recipe from Simply Recipes and started it this morning. Within a few hours it had risen quite nicely (no pics, didn't think I'd be posting this) so I let it do its thing for the remainder of the afternoon.

I preheated the oven to 500F (highest temp in my electric) and placed an upside down sheet pan as recommended on the lowest rack (more on this later). I heavily oiled the second sheet pan and dropped the dough in, spreading it out as much as possible. Since it wouldn't stretch completely, I let it rest for a while and then managed to work it into the corners -

hUxCqr4.jpg

I followed the guidelines for one of these pizzas, and similar to a Detroit, the cheese goes down first. I made sure to place as much as possible along the edges -

i0jxIgg.jpg

Followed by dollops of homemade sauce and nobody says you can't do your own thing and add pepperoni -

WB4Yoa8.jpg

Into the oven for 12-15 minutes. After 12, I noticed the bottom wasn't crisping as much as I'd liked, so I removed the upside down pan and placed the pie pan on the rack. I believe the Simply Recipes recipe states to do this since it was using a light colored baking pan. Mine was well worn and dark. At least that's my theory. I suppose if you had a baking stone or steel you'd get good results. The recipe also recommends par-baking the crust which I didn't think was necessary.

The extra few minutes beyond the initial 15 did the trick -

nP0iT3N.jpg

Nicely browned cheese and pepperoni cups!

Q9CFnL7.jpg

N2HleLZ.jpg

Cooling on a wire rack to keep the bottom crispy -

dyLWpjM.jpg

Sliced along the dividing lines -

aF5nUIy.jpg

Pizza is calling my name! -

ZoR4VTS.jpg

xe90UVd.jpg

P2r1Pud.jpg

All in all, a very successful oven pizza! I'll be adding this to my "make again" list, but maybe not as here's a preview of what's to come later this week. ;)

SzxeWoi.jpg

Thanks for following along on a fun Grandma Pizza bake. Give it a try.

Regards,
-lunchman

Fan Fkin Tastic tohugh i might add just a tad more sauce

Well Done Congrats GIF by America's Got Talent's Got Talent
Thanks. I may add more sauce next time as well.

Funny, my wife came into the kitchen as I was making this (she's often the pizza maker). She first wondered why the cheese was on the bottom (strike 1) and then asked if I was going to spread the sauce (strike 2). She reluctantly let me continue after I explained this was the style of pizza. When it was done, she loved it. But next time I might spread out the sauce, just to be safe.

As an FYI, it reheated quite well today on a perforated pizza pan for lunch. And there's more for tomorrow!

Grandmas are definitely my favorite. I started using basil infused olive oil in the bottom of the pan. Gave it an awesome boost.

Attachments

• 20211116_191157.jpg
    20211116_191157.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG00089-20100306-2151.jpg
    IMG00089-20100306-2151.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 13
I remember years ago, Compton and I stopped by your camp at the Royal and you were making pizza on a misbehaving Green Egg, with dough you smuggled on the airplane because you have to make it with "Looong Island water" or it ain't worth a sh*t.
Ed

I remember years ago, Compton and I stopped by your camp at the Royal and you were making pizza on a misbehaving Green Egg, with dough you smuggled on the airplane because you have to make it with "Looong Island water" or it ain't worth a sh*t.
Ed
YuP...that sounds about right.

whos egg was i using.? U remember? I don't think I carried mine all the way from NY. But anything possible.

YuP...that sounds about right.

whos egg was i using.? U remember? I don't think I carried mine all the way from NY. But anything possible.
Pretty sure it was at the Brethren site, the lid band was wanky and couldn't be realigned and tightened. The mind works in mysterious ways - sometimes I can't remember where my friggin phone is (it was out in the Ranger today!) but I can remember a wanky Green Egg!
You said you flew in with a luggage bag full of Loooooong Island watered dough.
Ed

I did bring in dough for pizza and remember making the pizza. Big dog and dave was there and vinny too. I had to be on a borrowed egg. My eggs never leave the yard after cracking my first one during a transport locally, nevermind driving all the way to MO.

Back