THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
I've probably a collection of 12-15 bottles. Various heat level from Tabasco Original toTabasco Scorpion. It's the difference between 6 dashes and three drops. Reds, greens, habanero yellow. My everyday whether it be really liking it, habit with what I grew up with or just conveniently always the same place and always there. I think Tabasco original and me have an emotional connection. Anyway, took a small hike the The Bride wanted to go to Family Dollar, or Dollar General or one of those dollar stores that are no longer a dollar. There on the shelf were Frank's, Texas Pete, Crystal and a few others.
I had an important call come in so lip synched and hand signals to wife and went outside. Wife got us two small bottles (6oz) of Crystal. I've heard good things on Crystal.
Aged red cayenne pepper
Distilled vinegar
Salt

Last edited:
I've never had Crystal. Let us know how you like it. I like Texas Pete sprinkled on my Mac & cheese and a drop or two on potato chips.

Last edited:
I found some Crystal's recently and gave it a try. Eh, similar to Frank's "I put that shyt on everything" me thinks. I grew up with Franks and always keep going back to it. Never liked Tabasco sauce for some reason, no matter how many times I tried it over the years.

If ya wanna try some SPICY stuff, find some Green Seasoning, I think the one a friend sent to me a few years back was Chief's brand. From Trinidad & Tobago. Holy Mary Mother of God!!!!

I find that Crystal and Frank's are interchangeable, I'm not convinced I'd be able to tell the two apart if I was tested.

I have 15-20 bottles of hot sauce, and use 3 or 4 of them, the rest are display pieces and usually thrown out after a couple years.

I do not like Tabasco. Too much heat not enough flavor.

My everyday sauces:
1. Frank's / Crystal.
2. 9º80º Wild Cilantro.
3. (anything) Chipotle. Still searching for *the* chipotle sauce.

Two RIP sauces that I would use daily but they're no longer made:
1. Inner Beauty. Mustardy, Lizano-like, with a kick and a half.
2. Zed's. Lime based, perfect for chicken.

You can get Crystal here in Australia at USA foods.

I'll get some next time I go there just to compare.

However Australia has gone nuts over the last 10 years with every Mom and his boy with a hot sauce idea. It's a forest of choices and I'm sure the USA is worse.

I like Walkerswood Pepper Sauce. We have local place that makes good stuff.

https://www.melbournehotsauce.com/

They know what they are doing.

Franks Extra Hot is a 4/10 for me for what it's worth.

Cheers!

I use Crystal and Louisiana hot sauce on damn near everything. I cook with Tabasco, but rarely use it on finished foods. Shricha is good and I like Old Bay's nee hotsauce as well.

I used to have an aquaintence who frequented the East Coast near Norfolk. There was a local sauce maker, region in scope available mail order. Speedy 's #44. He used to bring me a bottle every couple years. Speedys #44 is a carrot based Habanero sauce that is dang awesome. I've never ordered any, hopefully the company survived the C19. Locally I can get Iguana at world maket and it's pretty close.

I've never had a hot sauce bottle design or hand grenade, holster etc flip my switch and make me purchase. But just like bourbon I have purchased due to label artwork

Actually thought I had more than this. May venture back to Dollar Tree. Yesterday was my first time to enter that store. They had Valentina too. Bride said the Crystal was $1.25@ so guessing I can get Franks, Texas Pete and Valentina under $5.

Last edited:
Crystal is my favorite base hot sauce and that's almost sacrilege here in Buffalo where you find Frank's on every restaurant table.

I find that Crystal is less salty and with out the garlic flavor of Frank's which makes it a good starting point and I add seasonings to it to suit whatever I'm making.

My other everyday hot sauces are Yucateco Kutbil-Ik and Valentina Black Label.

I'm not a fan of mouth on fire sensation so I stick with plain old Louisiana hot sauce. Tastes good and not overly hot. My youngest son loves the Tabasco Chipotle so I buy that too. We go through that so quick I swear I think the kid drinks it.

I am in the same camp as the others where i prefer flavor over heat. Its not that i can't handle it, i just like to taste my food before my taste buds are on fire.

Back