THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mamajamma21

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Several months ago, I was at a friend's house for some beer and steaks. He's is like me when it comes to nice steaks, salt and pepper only. SO.. when he goes to salt the steak, he takes out this blend that he made of finely ground sea salt with larger salt chunks in it. When I asked him about it, he gave me a "I dunno" answer, like it's just the way he was always done it..

Fast forward to last night, I am gearing up for my Saturday cook of this 3", 2lb tomahawk rib eye, so I am watching cooking videos on YouTube and the guy is going on about how he does the same thing.. Does anyone do this specialty grind of salt? What's the meaning of this? Does it improve the sear? I'd love to hear some ideas.

I have never done that, nor heard of that. I can imagine that the finer salt melts, while the coarser salt doesn't. That would give you some extra salt punch when you eat it. Still, never heard of it.

I use a little salt, usually kosher salt at the start of cooking, not enough to finish with though, as I like to add some Maldon or similar salt when the steak is being served. That is maybe achieving the same end?

I have used fine sea salt, and course kosher salt on steaks before cooking, and have not been able to taste a difference. I do seem to find that course ground pepper tastes better than the fine ground stuff on just about anything.

Just my own observations.

CD

I agree on the black pepper thing, I have a dedicated burr grinder for black pepper, and it is set more coarse than most pepper mills

I always liked coarse sea salt on a tradition baked potato.. but never thought to use anything other kosher salt on my steaks. I'd like to experiment with this, but don't want to be too rockstar on a $40 piece of meat. Might be something for hanger steak.

I love salt. You can really spend some money on salts. The main reason for using sea salt is for its different flavors and texture. Sea salt is in its rawest form, there has been little to no processing. Black, White, Pink, and Grey all have different flavors. Sea salt looses its flavor when it is cooked. It is best used after you have cooked.

The difference in the size of the granules determines the amount of surface area of the meat that receives the salt. If you use a table spoon of table salt on one steak and then a table spoon of kosher salt on another you'll find that the steak seasoned with table salt is much saltier and that's because the finer grind has covered more surface area than the larger grind of the kosher salt. The common ratio of kosher salt to table salt is about 2 to 1, if the table salt steak had been seasoned with 1/2 table spoon rather than a full table spoon you would find that the two steaks had about the same level of saltiness.
Apart from the amount used per serving or application there is really no difference unless you're getting into the flavored salts or wide variety of sea salts and such.:-D

Last edited:
I used to use over the counter Montreal Steak Seasoning. But, now that I've gotten bit by the BBQ bug...I've changed almost everything about what I thought I knew.
Now I use course black pepper and Kosher salt on steaks. Pat it on, no rubbing. I don't want to tear any fibers. Then sear it for a minute or two, flip, sear another minute or 2, then lower the heat to about 325 and cook to preferred doneness. (medium rare).
I have noticed a big difference in the juiciness of the steak since using the coarse salt.

Last edited:
Sea Salt and Fresh ground pepper is the way to go. In my opinion... Sea Salt seems to penetrate the thicker meats better hence giving it more flavor. I;e:like using fresh ground pepper verses using regular pepper. It makes a difference.

Long story short, due to poor planning on a weekend get away, I had to use the salt from the bottom of a pretzel bag.....one of the best steaks I ever had!!

The difference in the size of the granules determines the amount of surface area of the meat that receives the salt. If you use a table spoon of table salt on one steak and then a table spoon of kosher salt on another you'll find that the steak seasoned with table salt is much saltier and that's because the finer grind has covered more surface area than the larger grind of the kosher salt. The common ratio of kosher salt to table salt is about 2 to 1, if the table salt steak had been seasoned with 1/2 table spoon rather than a full table spoon you would find that the two steaks had about the same level of saltiness.
Apart from the amount used per serving or application there is really no difference unless you're getting into the flavored salts or wide variety of sea salts and such.:-D

I agree with you on the table vs kosher, however it's worth pointing out that not all kosher is created equal though...

Morton kosher has 480mg sodium per 1/4 tsp
Diamond Crystal kosher has 280mg sodium per 1/4 tsp - 42% less

That one's tripped me up before! :doh:

I agree with you on the table vs kosher, however it's worth pointing out that not all kosher is created equal though...

Morton kosher has 480mg sodium per 1/4 tsp
Diamond Crystal kosher has 280mg sodium per 1/4 tsp - 42% less

That one's tripped me up before! :doh:
Very true! I use the store brand from HEB and it's different as well. In my post I did say "about" 2 to 1 ratio kosher to table salt but I should have made it more clear that the kosher salts do vary in size.:-D

Back