THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheech and Chong

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Dave
First cook on the new smoker came out OK but not perfect. I cooked 5 racks of baby backs.The taste was great but I overcooked them. The racks here are smaller than in the states from what I see so it is hard to do the bend test to see if they are done. Do u guys check the temp of the ribs to see when they are ready to be foiled? If so, what temp am I looking for?

Thanks.
avC4njV.jpg

FMvf49T.jpg

OopHT6g.jpg

I'd still try to rely on touch (bend test) and or something visual. I've never temp'd ribs but imagine they're like any other thing you cook in that there's no magical done temp and it'll vary based on the cooker, cook temp, environment, and that sort of thing. Even if the slabs are smaller wouldn't the bend test still work? Pick them up with the tongs about half way down the slab and see if they bend about 45*, then look for the fibers to separate a bit?

I'd still try to rely on touch (bend test) and or something visual. I've never temp'd ribs but imagine they're like any other thing you cook in that there's no magical done temp and it'll vary based on the cooker, cook temp, environment, and that sort of thing. Even if the slabs are smaller wouldn't the bend test still work? Pick them up with the tongs about half way down the slab and see if they bend about 45*, then look for the fibers to separate a bit?

The racks are just smaller and the amount of meat between each bone is not a lot so they really don't bend like bigger meatier racks. Maybe I'm just new at this but I would be happier if I could just stick a thermapen in them and pull them at a certain temp. What temp would that be around?

I guess hogs are smaller where you live. I use my thermo-pen more as a probe for tenderness than anything else. Nevertheless, temps are upwards of 190 before they are close to being done for my family. I usually foil after the ribs get to be a good color and then I open up the pouches at the end to reset the bark. I don't sauce unless someone really wants it done that way.

Yeah I’d probably just rely on probe tender / toothpick test as opposed to temp in lieu of bend test ^^^^^

You need a probe like a Thermopen or any of the pro-series probes. I was undercooking my ribs for a while until I started using a leave in probe. Maverick probes are too thick to give a meaningful reading. I use probe tender as my guideline now, but the leave in probe helped get me over a hump. Its easy to kind of convince yourself they are done when they aren't.

For me i can feel the rack starting to bend and that's my que that they are close to done. When i suspect they are close i probe them for tenderness and pull them based on that. Like others said way too many variables to go off temperature for me.

If you don't have much meat between the bones then you will have trouble getting a temp reading.

If you can't bend test reliably then probe them.

How much does a typical rib weigh around Subic?

Never used to, but since I have lately and all of them come our pefect.

I've had some ribs finish up to 1/2 hour later than others on the same smoker and grate. Different sizes in the packs.

They are probably just sized to be right for roasting a whole Lechon - order the rest of the pig and fire up the spit. :-D

Never and I use the bend test for doneness. Pretty much great every time. If the racks are smaller, just don't hold them as far down the rack. When the meat starts cracking, I consider them done.

The average rack is 600-800 grams. About 1.5 LBS. I have thermapens, IBT 6XS thermometer, dalstrong knives, john henry cherry rub, blues hog original and raspberry chipolte sauce coming from the states. Hoping the ribs will be better once I get my stuff.

Your ribs have beautiful color. You are getting a lot of different answers with no absolutes but some good tips. If you overcooked the ribs without foiling, then decrease your cooking time a little.

Keep a log from start to finish of the cook so that you can critique at the end how your cook went and then you can refer back when you cook again.

I only use foil in competitions and I personally do not like the results.

I have a large rotisserie smoker that I use for catering and I can cook a fantastic eating spare rib in 3 hours at 275 time after time with no foil.

You might try the 3-2-1 method, but I find that 2 hours in foil is way too much, so you might try 3-1-1. However, I find 3-1.5 then 15 minutes to set the sauce works good for me. I do not use the bend or toothpick method. I use the tug method taught to me by and old cook many years ago. I grab the end of two bones in the middle of the rack and lightly try to tug them apart. When the meat breaks away from the two bones, I remove from the cooker.

I have temped ribs and have found 200 to 210 to be close to the tug test temp.

If you are cooking multiple racks at one time, try different techniques in the same cook. Again, take notes of the cooks logging the results from each technique.

Good luck on your quest.

Robert

I find a good pot of boiling water makes for the perfect rib. :wink:
boiling+ribs.jpg

I only cook baby back ribs. Smoking them at 250 degrees, I wait until I see the meat pulling back from the rib before I will sauce and then foil. Most of the time, this is between 1.5 and 2.5 hours. I'll check every 30 minutes after that to see if I need more sauce and to see if they are ready. The bend test is a good method, but I usually just poke at the meat and see how much it resists. Many years of cooking ribs helps also to know when they are done.

One test for being done people don't talk much about is to just pull on the rib until either it breaks off or the meat tears. I think all the "competition" cookers feel that the ribs are overdone at that point, but I like the meat to be fall off the bone and I'm the only judge I care about. :mrgreen:

Back