THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

next weekend we are at lauri paul is cooking it buy him self in colorado for the weekend

york

Wow...I just don't know where to start....
What a strong field this weekend...I knew the Plowboys were coming, and all of us were going to have to contend with them, then pulls in other top of the line cooks as the day goes on...you start looking around and saying.."ah chit...maybe top half will be good this weekend...."
Andy and Todd...thanks for coming to our contest, I hope the central MoFos showed you a good time.
I have to thank Darrel, Belly Bro II, for slowing me down on the brisket, as I was antsey about it getting done (imagine me antsey, LOL) and he talked me through just letting it cook in it's own sweet time. We really thought the pork would be our best showing, and was really surprised when the brisket got the highest score in a catagory we've ever gotten with a 175, mostly 9's with a few 8's....the call felt good but was not expected....Thanks to Phil for sending me some Poobahmanian brisket MoJo!:mrgreen:
Jay is a pork cooking fool...no doubt about it...he's been very consistant this year and that's what it takes. It's always good to see your friends walk, but when your Brethren friends walk, it's like part of your family...so Congrats to all my family that walked this weekend....you guys are all great cooks!

Three years ago, KC came down and cooked our first KCBS contest with us at the Boone County fair...as many of my past posts have said, KC and I spent a lot of time working on brisket cooking skills...I dedicate this year's 1st place win in brisket to his memory.....Thank you brother....

Last edited:
Three years ago, KC came down and cooked our first KCBS contest with us at the Boone County fair...as many of my past posts have said, KC and I spent a lot of time working on brisket cooking skills...I dedicate this year's 1st place win in brisket to his memory.....Thank you brother....

That is so cool.:cool: Thanks for sharing Bro. Kick. Fat cap up!:wink:

I really don't know what to think about the scores that were all across the board and useing teen age girls as table captains.

We turned in a very good, consistant product and some idiot gave us a 3 in tenderness on brisket!!!! Holy Fark !!! It was as tender as can be!! The same quality brisket that we always turn in.

Oh Well!! We live to cook again and don't plan on changing a thing for the next contest.

York: If you had cut that 1 rib properly , that trophy would be gone!!! Hang in there Bro. Sorry we didn't come by afterwards but we knew you were upset and didn't want to make things worse.

Spice

I really don't know what to think about the scores that were all across the board and useing teen age girls as table captains.

We turned in a very good, consistant product and some idiot gave us a 3 in tenderness on brisket!!!! Holy Fark !!! It was as tender as can be!! The same quality brisket that we always turn in.

Oh Well!! We live to cook again and don't plan on changing a thing for the next contest.

Didnt he just put on a judging class? I wonder why he didnt have that many certified judges. I thought that was the purpose of the class.

Didnt he just put on a judging class? I wonder why he didnt have that many certified judges. I thought that was the purpose of the class.

I have heard that is one of the biggest beefs with Mike... He uses "celebrity" judges, before certified folks. Sounds like he was keeping with that theme for the table captains. Oh well, at least the goodie bags were nice:rolleyes: hehehe

There were several people from Boone County Bank in as judges also. He said they needed the exposure for their upcoming contest. He doesn't believe in using certified judges. They don't do anything for him beyond the contest.
It's going to be the same way at the Roots & Blues down town in September. They said they are using mainly "Celebrety Judges" with certified judges as fill in's.

There were several people from Boone County Bank in as judges also. He said they needed the exposure for their upcoming contest. He doesn't believe in using certified judges. They don't do anything for him beyond the contest.
It's going to be the same way at the Roots & Blues down town in September. They said they are using mainly "Celebrety Judges" with certified judges as fill in's.

We have talked to one of the lady's helping with the contest and they already have several certified judges signed up.

York: If you had cut that 1 rib properly , that trophy would be gone!!! Hang in there Bro. Sorry we didn't come by afterwards but we knew you were upset and didn't want to make things worse.

Spice
thanks jay

that rib was my falt and i normaly seperate them all be for turn in it just had to be that weekend where i was rushed and got cought

well there is next year :icon_blush:

hay i have to look at the good side in it all paul got his first walk on chicken
and we had an good time

york

You pat my back I'll pat yours.

According to the person they sent to the Hallsville city council meeting, the certified judges are alternates.
I went to one of the initial planning meetings with the group that the bank has hired to run the contest, and they were actually thinking of selling judging tables to companies / businesses for their people.
I hope your info is more accurate........ They didn't want to hear my speech about using only certified judges. She shut me down pretty quick.

York,
Come this time next year, if you keep hanging here on the board and read, ask questions, and learn, you'll be cooking at a whole new level. The info is here amongst some of the best cooks in the country, I ain't talking just midwest either.......there's a lot to be learned from the east coast cooks as well as the west coast cooks. There's a lot of talented cooks here on this site.
Best of luck, hang in there!

According to the person they sent to the Hallsville city council meeting, the certified judges are alternates.
I went to one of the initial planning meetings with the group that the bank has hired to run the contest, and they were actually thinking of selling judging tables to companies / businesses for their people.
I hope your info is more accurate........ They didn't want to hear my speech about using only certified judges. She shut me down pretty quick.

That's too bad that they are only taking advice from one person on how judging should be done. Let him go cook a contest and spend a bunch of money and get below average scores(2,3,4) and I bet that might change...

Back