Charcoal Taste vs. Wood Taste

So are there pros to using charcoal?

Im new to smoking. Only smoked twice. I have royal oak lump and kingsford. My first smoke was difficult to get the temp down and i was told lump burns hotter. Is one easier to control than the other? If im doing a long smoker 8+ hours, is lump going to burn quicker? Can you do the minion method with lump?

Just like different kinds of wood add a different flavor. The charcoal/wood very. But, There is quite a difference in taste depending on the amount of intake/fresh air to the ratio of exhaust. Burning splits or burning coal/wood. Not enough draw/flow and you get a much different taste to the smoked product. At least that is my findings.

Wait a second guyz... this forum was originally using charcoal as a burning medium. As others have mentioned - you would be surprised how many comp bbq folks still use and win events using charcoal. The key is not to choke out a charcoal fire for a cleaner taste.

My charcoal burning Lang has been borrowed for out of state teams in the past who have indeed took home prize money burning KBB.

I started with KBB and a Kettle and wsm, then PBC and now stick burner. As my tastes have evolved and changed I am bothered by the KBB flavor in particular but pretty much all briquettes, and prefer to use all wood. I do use wood chunks with the charcoal and I have tried different brands Trader Joes, Stubbs, and many lumps. That being said charcoal is sooo much easier for me when time is a factor and I dont mind it as much on Pork Butts or Chicken but for some reason on ribs I am bothered enough by the flavor Id rather not use charcoal at all on them. It comes down to individual taste, which can evolve over time. Some people are more sensitive to certain flavors. I work in the beer industry and a big part of our QC is sensory analysis. There is plenty of research that shows the huge variance in how individuals perceive flavors and aromas as well as the fact that a person can be blind to certain compounds due to genetics. Interestingly women have been shown to have more sensitive tastebuds. Its also well documented that with training almost anyone can become a much better "taster" in regards to consistently identifying individual flavor/aroma compounds. All that being said there are so many factors both subjective and objective that go into our individual taste preferences that it is very tricky to objectively judge these subtle differences with Q. I do agree with a previous poster who said the worst Q can come from 100% wood. Green wood or a poorly maintained fire is a recipe for ashtray Q that almost everyone would find offensive.

I think the tricky part of it all and what tends to create some negative feelings, is that to a certain extent, and I will stick to beer because I am no Q expert, is that the more you learn the more flaws you can objectively pick out. There are times when someone is drinking a beer that has obvious technical flaws, say its oxidized, infected or whatever, things that are objectively wrong with this particular beer. But the inexperienced drinker doesnt have enough experience to be able to recognize them and they say this is a good beer. Well to me no its not, that doesnt mean they cant enjoy it but I believe its not a good representation of what its intended to be. I think all of us can relate to this on some level. Whatever your area of expertise is you certainly can critique it better than someone with little or no experience. You notice little things that dont matter to the average person but are obvious to you. With BBQ I think its even trickier because there is very little scientific analysis done on the final product so you have very little objective data to go from. Its almost entirely up to the individuals tastes and perceptions. A well equipped brewery lab can tell and show you exactly whats in that beer and how close it is to their ideal specs. Not so in BBQ. Now is wood better than charcoal? For me yes but I wouldnt presume to say its true for everyone. Adding to the confusion, at least for me is that the Judging Body KCB seems to have an entirely different criteria for what is the ideal Q than you would find in the most respected BBQ joints in the country. Sorry for the length of this post but this topic does fascinate me because I think its much more complex than it appears.

Im new to smoking. Only smoked twice. I have royal oak lump and kingsford. My first smoke was difficult to get the temp down and i was told lump burns hotter. Is one easier to control than the other? If im doing a long smoker 8+ hours, is lump going to burn quicker? Can you do the minion method with lump?

Not all lump charcoal is the same. Here is a link to a site that has reviewed several varieties and rates them. Note some of the reviews are rather old.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

And yes, you can do a minion method cook with lump charcoal.

Wait a second guyz... this forum was originally using charcoal as a burning medium. As others have mentioned - you would be surprised how many comp bbq folks still use and win events using charcoal. The key is not to choke out a charcoal fire for a cleaner taste.

My charcoal burning Lang has been borrowed for out of state teams in the past who have indeed took home prize money burning KBB.
Amen. Harry Soo uses KBB in his WSM and does quite well in competition. Guess he hasn't learned to be too cool for school and claim that splits are the only way to go.

Adding to the confusion, at least for me is that the Judging Body KCB seems to have an entirely different criteria for what is the ideal Q than you would find in the most respected BBQ joints in the country.

Exactly!

And that's why I can't put all my eggs in the "people win competitions with XXX" basket.

I think this debate tends to get sidetracked. The original poster says he can taste the difference in charcoal vs wood cooked Q. I can agree to that as I can to. A whole different argument and one that would seem impossible to resolve is which one tastes better? Are there people who truly dont believe there is a difference? Take KBB for instance since almost everyone has some experience with it. I can taste a distinct flavor from it. Now I bet that flavor is what a lot of Americans associate with BBQ on some level, so it is generally a positive attribute. Other people, myself included, detect a slight flavor that they dont prefer. And there is a huge spectrum of what each person likes or doesnt like. Doesnt make one better or worse but I do think its a legitimate claim that there is a difference.

I think this debate tends to get sidetracked. The original poster says he can taste the difference in charcoal vs wood cooked Q. I can agree to that as I can to. A whole different argument and one that would seem impossible to resolve is which one tastes better? Are there people who truly dont believe there is a difference? Take KBB for instance since almost everyone has some experience with it. I can taste a distinct flavor from it. Now I bet that flavor is what a lot of Americans associate with BBQ on some level, so it is generally a positive attribute. Other people, myself included, detect a slight flavor that they dont prefer. And there is a huge spectrum of what each person likes or doesnt like. Doesnt make one better or worse but I do think its a legitimate claim that there is a difference.

You hit the nail on the head! I know there are a lot of teams out there winning competitions using charcoal, and I was thinking more about other charcoal cookers like a vertical with a water pan, and is the charcoal taste there is as prevalent as in my PBC? I've never cooked on a modern charcoal cooker. Honestly the smell of burning Kingsford brings me back to my childhood and family cookouts with burgers and dogs which is a good thing, but I want my ribs to taste like Pork, not Charcoal. Curious what judges at competitions think between Charcoal and Wood fire BBQ.

David

I have done a similar experiment on my WSM.

One Saturday I had nothing better to do and it was a beautiful day, so I essentially did a burn barrel type operation (using a couple of chimneys and an el cheapo $25 square grill) with seasoned apple and maple from my yard clean up. The wife and kida and I ate 2 racks of spares and froze 1.

Next Saturday my standard lump with apple and maple chunks set up (I used RO lump and again the wood from my yard). Ate 1 rack (wife was out so just me and 2 of 3 kids) and froze 1).

Later on we thawed out both, re-heated using exactly the same procedure.

I gave it to my wife and kids blind. All of them agreed that the all wood ones were better, but the difference was subtle--like an extra 5%. After finishing those, we dug into the wood/charcoal mix and no one was disappointed.

I have done an all wood burn barrel-type set up pork loin to the same results. Everyone likes it more, but it is not extreme.

I've used KBB for a long time. Have tried others and they all seem to be more maintenance during the cook. It's not that tough to do it right.

Charcoal gives consistency and needs less attention. Its easier to store and transport also. There are folks who just dont have the time or storage capacity for wood.

Hardwood logs are not easily accessible.

For people who don't like charcoal taste, you can use clean burning South American Lumps like Fogo, Kamado Joe Lump, Quebracho, ect...

You can also use cocanut charcoal for cooks. Cocanut charcoal burns ridiculously clean and does not to alter the flavor of the food.

Briquette and cheap lump are the issue more than lump. Royal makes mass produced passable dirty burning lump. If you step up to Rockwood or Kamado Joe lump, you'll notice an immediate difference mixed with your favorite wood chunks.

Interesting thread. I use royal oak in my kamado and am realizing that I can taste the charcoal and am not a huge fan of it. It's good on a short cook like a pork tenderloin or steak but for longer cooks or chicken less so.

I reckon there is some difference in flavors of meat cooked with different types of fuel but not enough to make it taste bad if it is used properly. I will say though that I cook for my family several times a week and for a few dozen different friends at least once a month year round. I use KBB about 80% of the time and other fuels like Stubbs, RO, and 5 or 6 different kinds of lump. It just depends on my mood when I cook as to what I'm going to heat the meat with. In my opinion the flavor comes from the smoking wood and not the heat medium. Not one time has anyone complained about the food I cook. As a matter of fact I see my guests going back for seconds and taking leftovers home every time they come.

It's the Indian baby, not the arrow.:wink:

I used to have family that lived in Regina. How did you get a Pitmaker all the way up to SK?

I enjoy my stick burner flavor over my wsm flavor by a large margin. Cooking with wood and wood only makes a huge difference in the flavor.

Hardwood logs are not easily accessible.

For people who don't like charcoal taste, you can use clean burning South American Lumps like Fogo, Kamado Joe Lump, Quebracho, ect...

You can also use cocanut charcoal for cooks. Cocanut charcoal burns ridiculously clean and does not to alter the flavor of the food.

Briquette and cheap lump are the issue more than lump. Royal makes mass produced passable dirty burning lump. If you step up to Rockwood or Kamado Joe lump, you'll notice an immediate difference mixed with your favorite wood chunks.

I see you're in Canada too. How does Basque's compare to Fogo, Kamado Joe lump, or coconut? It's sugar maple lump but I think sometimes it can be a little on the strong side. But I've never used the other ones you've mentioned.

Back