Your favorite charcoal for Kamados???

Headgear

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
David
I am getting my first Kamado grill next week and it comes with a bag of Kamado Joe charcoal. I also ordered some Jealous Devil, but there are other premium ones out there. Does it make much difference in flavor? What is your favorite?

Jealous Devil is good, I have no experience with KJ's brand. My personal favorite is Rockwood. The size and quality seems really consistent. It also helps if you can find a supplier that doesn't manhandle the bags. I find that the big box stores bags are usually crushed to pieces and powder!

I buy the ones on sale. Usually Royal Oak, have tried a bunch of them. Currently have a bag of Blues Hog open. A lot of people will whine that Royal Oak or Cowboy have debris in them. So what, take it out before you light the fire, only debris I've ever found was rocks, besides there's usually more charcoal in the bag than what is listed as the weight.

Rockwood. Perfect weeknight lump. Very neutral in the smoke profile. (You won't smell like a bonfire after lighting it. With it being neutral in flavor it's much easier to find the right balance of a smoke profile when adding chunks of smoking wood.) The other bonus is that you don't have to wait for the VOC's to clear. Some brands of lump with take 30-45+ minutes for the heavy smoke to clear. No waiting around for Rockwood. Once it hits your desired temperature you're ready to cook. Clean, clean, clean! The owner is also top notch. He has busted his rear end off the last 3-4 during the pandemic to keep things afloat. He's always willing to help or answer any questions if you have any.

Jealous Devil is good, I have no experience with KJ's brand. My personal favorite is Rockwood. The size and quality seems really consistent. It also helps if you can find a supplier that doesn't manhandle the bags. I find that the big box stores bags are usually crushed to pieces and powder!

Thanks to all of you guys who recommended this. I noticed that most of the others were made in Central and South America. I know nothing about the wood from those places. Not saying there is anything wrong with them, I just don't know. Plus, I like the idea of buying and supporting a business here in the US whenever possible. Especially when I heard it is a small business with an owner who cares and busts his butt to keep things afloat. Been there and done that!!! I will be trying some of it for sure. Thank you guys.

Back