THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have found since switching to Stubbs my meat taste better no matter if I am cooking in PBC or the pint. I also use a lot more wood chunks that most recommend and to me that helps cancel out the charcoal taste.

I have found since switching to Stubbs my meat taste better no matter if I am cooking in PBC or the pint. I also use a lot more wood chunks that most recommend and to me that helps cancel out the charcoal taste.

I tried to use that in my UDS once, worst cook ever and HOLY ASH BATMAN! Tried it again with what was left in my Weber, fan farking tastic cook! :wacko:

Thank for stealing my line. :grouphug:. I hope the peons enjoy your products Keith!!

Any of you Brethren consider yourselves "peons", those of you who intend to purchase the Octoforks? Jason will consider you as such, should you make the ugly purchase. I take it as a compliment!! Thanks, big man!!!

Simple Definition of peon

• : a person who does hard or boring work for very little money : a person who is not very important in a society or organization
  • : a poor farm worker especially in Latin America

Any of you Brethren consider yourselves "peons", those of you who intend to purchase the Octoforks? Jason will consider you as such, should you make the ugly purchase. I take it as a compliment!! Thanks, big man!!!

Simple Definition of peon

• : a person who does hard or boring work for very little money : a person who is not very important in a society or organization
  • : a poor farm worker especially in Latin America

Oy. You missed the point :caked:.

Edit: Because Keith mentioned charcoal being an inferior fuel product, but he is happy with his consumers using it to sell his wares. Just wanted to make that clear to you as it didn't quite catch you that first go round. Thus my use of the term "peons". Not for what I think........

Want to say sorry I don't have the time to read every post here. I am a guy that started off with a COS stick burner. Then went to a WSM! Loved the WSM for a while. but I swear I always could taste the charcoal. It just wasn't the same as cooking on the COS.

I built a Vertical offset and I've been cooking on it exclusively since it was built. Two days ago I decided to fire the WSM for a pork butt for a 8 hr cook! I swear I still taste the difference between wood smoked and charcoal/wood chunks. I was using royal oak chef select. I highly recommend that charcoal.

I'll be honest though, I've been eating the heck out of the pork butt for the past couple days. It was delicious but there is a difference.

Wood is my first choice, charcoal is my 2nd choice (lump first out of that) and briquettes second. It's amazing we can't be honest without others criticizing. I will NEVER criticize someone for what cooker or fuel they use, but believe it's ok to say what I use and prefer. Yes I will have things for gas grill people, kettle folks,WSM, Santa Maria...etc... etc... but I'm not allowed to say I prefer wood first? Really? Will I cook on gas grills much? NO. Will it help gas grill users? YES. Will I pretend I don't have preferences? No I won't as I'm an honest person. In the future I'll be cooking on several different cookers to show how and what folks can do with what they own, just as future customers will I'm sure share with me their experiences with cookers I will never use. Example I love Santa Marias but may never own one but I'm sure DW Fisk as an example will share his experiences so I can share with other Santa Maria owners. Heck I want to show cooks with dozens of different cookers but no way I can own them all, afford them all, nor will some of them ever be my first preference to cook with. I just hope folks will enjoy and benefit from what I have to offer because rotisserie no matter what is a wonderful thing! :-D

Heck I'm pretty proud...no damn proud I've made things that will benefit others no matter what cooker they use to rotisserie with. I'm also proud that I'm a US Veteran that proudly served his country and will be making a Quality product made in the good ole USA!!!

Last edited:
Yair . . .

I have never had good food of a stick burning offset smoker . . . probably not the cooker but the way it was operated, I realise that.

Its difficult though to stuff it up to that extent with decent charcoal. Most of the aromatics and oils should have been driven off in making the product which should end up as pretty much pure carbon.

Cheers.

Scrubs

Yair . . .

I have never had good food of a stick burning offset smoker . . . probably not the cooker but the way it was operated, I realise that.

Its difficult though to stuff it up to that extent with decent charcoal. Most of the aromatics and oils should have been driven off in making the product which should end up as pretty much pure carbon.

Cheers.

Hey Scrubs

What kinda wood do you east coasters use ? Also what charcoal ?
Over here I have been using a native hardwood called Jarrah , it goes great in my offset.

Hey Scrubs

What kinda wood do you east coasters use ? Also what charcoal ?
Over here I have been using a native hardwood called Jarrah , it goes great in my offset.

Lotta oak and hickory around here. Also pecan. I've been using white oak on my stickburner.

Who you callin peon douche...wait that was out of line....no on second thought it wasn't.

You really need to stop letting your emotions get the best of you. Can't serve well in other facets of life if simple conversations like this get you this worked up. I hope you're doing good. Take care.

Want to say sorry I don't have the time to read every post here. I am a guy that started off with a COS stick burner. Then went to a WSM! Loved the WSM for a while. but I swear I always could taste the charcoal. It just wasn't the same as cooking on the COS.

I built a Vertical offset and I've been cooking on it exclusively since it was built. Two days ago I decided to fire the WSM for a pork butt for a 8 hr cook! I swear I still taste the difference between wood smoked and charcoal/wood chunks. I was using royal oak chef select. I highly recommend that charcoal.

I'll be honest though, I've been eating the heck out of the pork butt for the past couple days. It was delicious but there is a difference.

Seems like the non filler briquettes are one of the best routes for charcoal. I like lump in my wsm, but still use normal kbb and as long as it burns clean works great. It's fun to play around with it all

Seems like the non filler briquettes are one of the best routes for charcoal. I like lump in my wsm, but still use normal kbb and as long as it burns clean works great. It's fun to play around with it all

Yeah I've used KBB since the start of owning the WSM. The last bag of charcoal I purchased was the Royal Oak Chef Select. I liked it a lot better than KBB. I'm running out of wood Don't have a wood guy atm so you know, its whatever you've got to cook on.

I'm working out how to do a direct charcoal vs wood comparison using my pit, an insulated vertical. I still need to work out a few kinks to minimize the variables. Im not unhappy with the charcoal results, I just think it's fun to play around and see what happens.

Like wood charcoal needs to burn clean and hot. But I see a lot of experienced cookers who don't take that into account. They use too much charcoal at a time and then choke the airflow to keep the temp down resulting in a sooty, dirt burn.

Last edited:
You really need to stop letting your emotions get the best of you. Can't serve well in other facets of life if simple conversations like this get you this worked up. I hope you're doing good. Take care.

My emotions can get the better of me. Thats what happens when you chit on my friend, a US vetern by the way, and his product and all of us who support him in taking this chance.

Some of us like to experiment and try new things (they are actually old things but i digress) but you shouldn't judge so harshly until you tried it. You'll probably stay in your, safe little bubble though... i mean once you get a 900 in chicken you've done it all

My emotions can get the better of me. Thats what happens when you chit on my friend, a US vetern by the way, and his product and all of us who support him in taking this chance.

Some of us like to experiment and try new things (they are actually old things but i digress) but you shouldn't judge so harshly until you tried it. You'll probably stay in your, safe little bubble though... i mean once you get a 900 in chicken you've done it all

What's 900 chicken? Sounds awesome. And good try with that safe bubble comment. That was perfect. I've definitely never ventured or am doing that currently. You know all the facets ninja. That's what makes you great. Have a nice day.

This conversation isn't going in the way of the brethren.

The passive aggressive condescension is beyond maddening in my everyday life. I definitely don't prefer to see it here. A thread about charcoal vs wood is NO PLACE to bring up what someone that isn't even the original poster does for a living or even a side job. Why on Earth would it be? To strengthen an opinion about charcoal....really??

Come on fellas.

Yair . . . .

Nicko2

Gotcha mate, nearly missed your response up thread in all the traffic (grins).

The blokes running the off-sets reckoned they were all into Ironbark which is our premium Queensland coastal fire wood . . . Gidyea is the best inland stuff of course.
Awful bloody food though, black as your arse and tainted inedible I thought.

I have never bought charcoal but make my own with Ironbark, Bluegum and Wattle and to us they all work pretty good.

If want a bit of smoke I find banksia cones are pretty good, I only cook on a UDS and Kettle though.

Cheers.

Back