THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow this thread has gotten way out of control!!! Maybe I should toss my 98 ram air TA into this mess:blah:

BACK ON TOPIC.

I don't have a issue with K blue. It gives me predictable long burn in my WSM BUT Lately I have been doing more hot & fast stuff with the cold weather and I have noticed a smokier/off taste.

I'm thinking I'm going to try switching back to lump in the near future.
I used to make my own but I've gotten far too lazy for that now.
Ok boys put those hurst shifters back in your pants:grin:

I will say when I was just using my kettle as a makeshift offset smoker it did ok with kingsford reg. Then I built a UDS and tried it with kingsford and it put such a nasty taste it was almost inedible, next time I used kingsford but I burned em hot with a little lump and it turned out great. I will only use it to light and get the thing hot from now on, will use lump or stick to smoke.

To the OP, there is really no true "clean" burning charcoal. Burning anything releases carcinogens and other "nasty" things that just so happen to make meat taste good. So I'll be the good guy and say use whatever you want. Find a brand that you are willing to pay for and that you like. Also, availability might be a big factor. I can't ever seem to find Kingsford comp at the local stores near me, so I buy Stubbs which is always in stock at Lowes. To me, having to order and get shipped to me a "high quality" charcoal isn't that important in making good food. I and my family and friends love my cooking. I smoke with Stubbs and grill with KBB or Royal Oak. Never had anyone tell me that my food had an off flavor. In fact its usually the opposite. To me its more monkey than machine. You can get guys that have $6000 pits and use lump charcoal that cost $25 a bag who still turn out crappy mediocre Q. Then you have guys who win 1st place at local backyard comps using KBB and a $200 offset from wally world...

IMHO its more in the hands and skill of the cook than the quality of the cooker and fuel. Others will disagree but hey, that's life..

not that it matters to me but , you need to take into consideration where your charcoal comes from, in the south and southwest areas your kingsford could be coming from california or oregan or missouri ,mine comes from kentucky and some from west virginia , it may have something to do with it.
sorry barbeque nut hope your not to confused, good luck on your choice.

Mark

I think jmoney's point is being missed. Experience trumps a silly certificate every time.

He may have expressed it in a poor manner, but the point was made.

Wow this thread has gotten way out of control!!! Maybe I should toss my 98 ram air TA into this mess:blah:

BACK ON TOPIC.

I don't have a issue with K blue. It gives me predictable long burn in my WSM BUT Lately I have been doing more hot & fast stuff with the cold weather and I have noticed a smokier/off taste.

I'm thinking I'm going to try switching back to lump in the near future.
I used to make my own but I've gotten far too lazy for that now.
Ok boys put those hurst shifters back in your pants:grin:

Since you agree that you get a off taste from kbb, I will accept you acknowledgement of the prior stated. Now as far as off topic statements, if you don't wanna talk about off topic subjects, don't talk about them and keep from all together fueling the fire! Now since You felt so indulged to go back to what you just advised against, how bout you Take that 98 and go to the nearest track, I will throw my old small block back in, come to you, give you a 60ft head start and the move! I can have all this back together in 8 hrs.
60147686-05D8-4C5B-A0D3-E32205E4D004-1025-0000015F04D8C733.jpg

Post uP some $$$$, I will be there this weekend. Don't talk about if you dont actually have something to say!

I think jmoney's point is being missed. ExperiMence trumps a silly certificate every time.

He may have expressed it in a poor manner, but the point was made.
I may have, thanks for pointing that in kinder simpler words. Sometimes I make my points from experience, sometimes of that and similar situations but that's how I do it. Sometimes I just overthink it sometimes, simple is better. You said what I meant to say. I swear it's the mix of the coonass and polock!:doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you agree that you get a off taste from kbb, I will accept you acknowledgement of the prior stated. Now as far as off topic statements, if you don't wanna talk about off topic subjects, don't talk about them and keep from all together fueling the fire! Now since You felt so indulged to go back to what you just advised against, how bout you Take that 98 and go to the nearest track, I will throw my old small block back in, come to you, give you a 60ft head start and the move! I can have all this back together in 8 hrs.
60147686-05D8-4C5B-A0D3-E32205E4D004-1025-0000015F04D8C733.jpg

Post uP some $$$$, I will be there this weekend. Don't talk about if you dont actually have something to say!

I may have, thanks for pointing that in kinder simpler words. Sometimes I make my points from experience, sometimes of that and similar situations but that's how I do it. Sometimes I just overthink it sometimes, simple is better. You said what I meant to say. I swear it's the mix of the coonass and polock!:doh:

Really dude?:wacko:

Really dude?:wacko:

Yep :blah: see the great thing about America, nobody is forcing you to read what I post, reply to what I post or whatever else that may have to do with my post. That post wasnt directed towards you, so don't worry about it sir. It's just like anything else talked about of little significance, it will fade In time. If moderators wanna scrub the thread a little, won't bother me a bit. Now back to the OP of bbqing with petroleum, pine, cedar, lime, borax, and lumber scraps. :wacko:

I am another who can't stand the nasty chemical taste of briquettes for minion or fuse burn slow cooks. The smoke coming out of the vent smells like burning plastic. I use lump for slow cooking. Briquettes are fine for grilling, if you let them burn the junk off and ash over before letting food anywhere near them. I like Stubbs briquettes better than other brands, but even they smell funky and put off nasty smoke until they're ashed over.

It's on like donkey kong. I am going to get a hoard of Yankee, Kingsford Blue Bag lovin', Hot Rodders, and drive down to the Republic of Texas. We will have smokin' tires and smokin' pits and have us a little contest.

Unfortunately I only have an '01 Dodge truck and a few kettles. Might be a little undergunned. Oh well, I'll go shovel some snow and smoke up some thighs on the kettle. I think I'll do it with lump so jmoney doesn't come north and teach me the true meaning of the word respect.

I'm not sure I would be throwing your master judge certification flag out, especially when your comparing Yankee BBQ to Texas style BBQ. Save that flag for someone that doesnt know better. As far as referencing the kingsford cup, royal etc what are we still talking about? :doh:
Certification don't mean nothing IMO! That just means your licensed to judge BBQ in that sanctioning body, dont mean your any better than anyone else that knows how to judge good BBQ. Actually if your claim is true, that would make you worse right? I mean you just claimed you had a less sensitive palette.

I merely threw out the mast judge certification becasue to be one you have to judge at least 30 contest. If experience trump certification thats fine. Take that out of the picture and now I have judged close to 60 competitions and I still can't say I can taste the fuel the cooker is using unless he is useing a stick burner and using straight wood. Thats a difference. I never said I was any better at judging anything.
I brought up the kingsford cup, kcbs team of the year and the Jack because that team won all three that year using KBB. I was still talking about the same thing.
I think I do know how to judge BBQ but I guess I do have less sensitive pallete than you and I don't know a thing about racing cars so you know more than me about that for sure.

I merely threw out the mast judge certification becasue to be one you have to judge at least 30 contest. If experience trump certification thats fine. Take that out of the picture and now I have judged close to 60 competitions and I still can't say I can taste the fuel the cooker is using unless he is useing a stick burner and using straight wood. Thats a difference. I never said I was any better at judging anything.
I brought up the kingsford cup, kcbs team of the year and the Jack because that team won all three that year using KBB. I was still talking about the same thing.
I think I do know how to judge BBQ but I guess I do have less sensitive pallete than you and I don't know a thing about racing cars so you know more than me about that for sure.

So 60++ contests judging and you still can't tell the difference? The drag racing was only meant as an example to show that just Because one has a certificate to do something doesn't actually make them a master and the best in real life. Our racing team gets stomped and sometimes we do some stopmin, but we all got that NHRA certification/ MASTER judge. There are some with the same certification that excel way past others and some are below all others and just simply will never be as fine tuned, and thats what im gettin at. What you do with the certificate is what matters. I will take quality over quanity any day. Yeah I know you can't tell a person what good BBQ is supposed to taste like so this is probably where we are getting our wires crossed. My question is: how many cookoffs have you actually competed and how many did it take your team to figure out a profile to start winning and get on Hott streaks? My whole problem with the "I've judged 60 cookoffs" deal don't mean anything unless you have been on the other end and know what it takes to get there.

So 60++ contests judging and you still can't tell the difference? The drag racing was only meant as an example to show that just Because one has a certificate to do something doesn't actually make them a master and the best in real life. Our racing team gets stomped and sometimes we do some stopmin, but we all got that NHRA certification/ MASTER judge. There are some with the same certification that excel way past others and some are below all others and just simply will never be as fine tuned, and thats what im gettin at. What you do with the certificate is what matters. I will take quality over quanity any day. Yeah I know you can't tell a person what good BBQ is supposed to taste like so this is probably where we are getting our wires crossed. My question is: how many cookoffs have you actually competed and how many did it take your team to figure out a profile to start winning and get on Hott streaks? My whole problem with the "I've judged 60 cookoffs" deal don't mean anything unless you have been on the other end and know what it takes to get there.

I've only cooked in two comps. Won Grand Champion in one but there was only 14 or 15 teams. The second one there were 40 team I beleive and we fininshed 23rd I think. To be honest I didn't enjoy staying up all night tending the fire and all the things that go along with it. So I decided to just judge. So theres your answer to that question.
But were not talking about flover profiles here and winning. Were talking about tasting a Charcoal flavor on the meat. I merely stated I have never been able to taste charcoal on the meat or tell what a cook is using to cook with. I've tasted bad BBQ but I can't say it came from what they were cooking with.
Maybe were just misunderstanding each other here. Anyway I'm done with it.

Back