THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have used KBB in my RF pit for the last year as a coal base, adding a mix of oak and either hickory, pecan or mesquite and don't get any "off" flavors either. I have recently started using some of the Royal Oak briquettes (they were on sale) and had them last longer in my pit then the KBB. I guess every setup is different.

I like the Royal Oak Chef Select briquettes for my Backwoods and WSMs. If I don't have that I use Kingsford Competition briquettes. It's a matter of predictability for me. It's an engineered product so I know how it's going to burn overnight. When or if I get another team member to be night pit boss I might experiment with other products, but it ain't broke so I'm not looking to fix it. And yes I've used lump, too. Wicked Good is a mighty fine product, and if I believed judges could tell me what brand of charcoal I'm using by tasting my product I'd switch. Maybe.

I guess everybody has there own opinion but I'm a master judge and I can't tell you what kind of fuel a cooker is using to cook his meats with. I'm going to have to pay more attention to that aspect I guess...lol.
I'm not sure I would be throwing your master judge certification flag out, especially when your comparing Yankee BBQ to Texas style BBQ. Save that flag for someone that doesnt know better. As far as referencing the kingsford cup, royal etc what are we still talking about? :doh:
Certification don't mean nothing IMO! That just means your licensed to judge BBQ in that sanctioning body, dont mean your any better than anyone else that knows how to judge good BBQ. Actually if your claim is true, that would make you worse right? I mean you just claimed you had a less sensitive palette.

that was one strong latch :)

We take pretty good care of our cookers, although transporting to comps can take a toll. Thats why my gasser (1998 Weber Genesis) still works on the original ignitor, although, I mostly use it for BGE accessory storage these days:roll: It has gone through 3 sets of flavorizer bars, and a full shelf replacement though....I think I'll have to finally retire it soon, the frame is getting pretty rusty

Last edited:
I guess everybody has there own opinion but I'm a master judge and I can't tell you what kind of fuel a cooker is using to cook his meats with. I'm going to have to pay more attention to that aspect I guess...lol.

I do use KBB to cook with at home and the only thing I can tell you is it last longer than Royal Oak briquettes. Never had any weird taste that I can remember.

I don't think the KB bothered QUAU when they won the Kingfords challenge in 2010. They also won team of the year in KCBS and won the Jack Daniels world Championship all in the same year using it.

I'm not sure I would be throwing your master judge certification flag out, especially when your comparing Yankee BBQ to Texas style BBQ. Save that flag for someone that doesnt know better. As far as referencing the kingsford cup, royal etc what are we still talking about? :doh:
Certification don't mean nothing IMO! That just means your licensed to judge BBQ in that sanctioning body, dont mean your any better than anyone else that knows how to judge good BBQ. Actually if your claim is true, that would make you worse right? I mean you just claimed you had a less sensitive palette.
Going further into this lemme explain to you one of my experiences with this type of situation. I been street racing my whole life. My uncles have een competing in pro mod 1/8 mile drag racing. I used to slip into their street cars occasionally and make some half arse passes on nitrous noting too special. One day i decided to get my nhra certification. Called out the certifier and did what he said: demonstrate proper burn outs, staging, 60 foot launch, 100 foot launch, 1/2 track pass, full motor pass. My uncle was nice enough to let me use his pro mod car which is 1800 hp on motor alone with 3 nitrous systems. Since this car always ran straight as a arrow, my uncle wanted me to show some people up, so my next pass out they turned on the 1st nitrous stage (otzal big kit) with a .5 delay. I ran a 4.46 @ 166 mph. Nobody in their right mind could have done that in a car they never drove much less one with 738 ci motor. But nobody said it couldnt be done! Moral of the story: just Because you got the license or certification doesnt mean you can do it better, just means you passed the necessary minimum requirements in that field. I Quit street racing about 4 years ago Because impound and wrecker fees got too expensive. I still attend races and help lots of people tune their cars that got 20+ years of experience on me. Don't let the age fool ya

Pardon my ignorance but are you saying you raced cars on the street. "I been street racing my whole life"

We had random spots picked out with good level ground, we would pretreat the road with vht (track bite) and torch it 1 hr before it went down. Used to be in the big time with some underground folks. Paid off off cops to look the other way etc. Spanked lots of race cars with my "slowmaro" street car. Meaning I used to street race, on the street, hence the reason street racing has the word street in it. Didnt have a full time job till i was 22 because that's what I did. I quit 4 years ago especially once I got my NHRA certification and grew up. Still get the urge once in a while but the Camaro is under a big twin turbo project so meez gots no wheelz!

Touchy touchy folks.. eesshh lets not forget that we are all bretren from different Mothrens! :shocked::drama::doh:

I'm sorry but this post reeks of arrogance.

First, no one was comparing BBQ styles. Although the last time I checked non-Texan or as you put it "Yankee" teams were winning all of the BBQ majors except maybe HLR.

Second, I believe his point was a product that YOU think has a detectable bad taste has been a proven winner for some big teams.

Third, how did we get this far off topic? When did the OP's question ever involve your racing career?

I'm sorry but this post reeks of arrogance.

First, no one was comparing BBQ styles. Although the last time I checked non-Texan or as you put it "Yankee" teams were winning all of the BBQ majors except maybe HLR.

Second, I believe his point was a product that YOU think has a detectable bad taste has been a proven winner for some big teams.

Third, how did we get this far off topic? When did the OP's question ever involve your racing career?

I didn't start it bro, just finished it! There is no arrogance, just confidence. People sometimes get the two confused.

Kingsford blue bag is fine for grilling, but I can't stand smoking with it. Stubb's and kingsford comp are much better.

Probably not available in your area, but on RangerJ's reccomendation, I tried some of the HEB grand champion hardwood briquettes. No off smell like the kbb, and burned alot longer. This will be my briquette of choice from now on for grilling. If one were to use them for smoking, they burned real clean during startup and barely any smoke.

Back